Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonus Not Paid

Options
  • 24-10-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I work with roughly 50 people here in a sales role and we recieve a quarterly bonus based on performance. Got our payslips yesterday (payday today) with no bonus on it; we were assured there was just a tiny slip-up and they would be putting the payment Monday (apparently would have gone through on the bank holiday because the money was coming from the UK....This morning, a payment had gone through, but it was the bonus figure less tax @ 50% deduction, for some unexplained reason. And we have since been informed that the balance would not be paid until Novembers paycheque. They give no further information other than, something went wrong in payroll and they don't know what. My question really is if this is legal? I think that it is in my contract that bonus(es) can be altered/ withdrawn at the discretion of company. Any other Advice? Very Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I think that it is in my contract that bonus(es) can be altered/ withdrawn at the discretion of company

Accept it and move on. if it's in your contract then you've agreed to it and they can do what they like. In these recession hit times - it's nice to see people at least get some of their bonus's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

newbie2 wrote: »
    Accept it and move on. if it's in your contract then you've agreed to it and they can do what they like. In these recession hit times - it's nice to see people at least get some of their bonus's.

Personally I am ok with it, except for transparency into why its actually happened. However, the figures had already been agreed a month in advance. Its the people with families/mortages and other commitments who have already budgeted this money who will really feel it.

Sometimes these thing happen with employers. but your colleagues signed the same contract as you. they shouldn't really budget for something that they cannot afford. Bonus's acn be withdrawn or alterd at the companys discression. So relying on them isn't a good idea.
    Sorry

Thanks for your input on this Newbie. But my take on this from what we have been told is that its not a case of the bonus payment/structure being withdrawn or altered. It is that they have overcharged us on tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The tax thing does seem odd - 50% suggests some form of emergency tax.

At the worst, you can request a balancing statement from the Revenue at the start of next year once you have your P60 and that should correct the overpayment of tax

• Advertisement

Sorry,I should have made it clear from the outset that none of us are in a 50% tax bracket.

dudara wrote: »
    The tax thing does seem odd - 50% suggests some form of emergency tax.

At the worst, you can request a balancing statement from the Revenue at the start of next year once you have your P60 and that should correct the overpayment of tax

Advertisement