Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP courses?

Options
  • 24-10-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Hello :)

I want to learn PHP, anyone know anywhere i can get night time courses? Or any guide on how to get started?

Cheers
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I personally think you better off just self teaching from a book rather than wasting money on a course for just PHP.

PHP and MySQL Web Development is a fairly good book. http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Development-Luke-Welling/dp/0672317842

Then you can go onto more advanced topics later. Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

yeah as webmonkey said, learning it yourself is far better than any course. A good book to get started... then move onto the php docs to learn more fuctions and how they work.. and if ya get really stuck - post here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Webmonkey wrote: »
    PHP and MySQL Web Development is a fairly good book. http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Development-Luke-Welling/dp/0672317842

I learnt from the above book too.

Most PHP websites are simply reading from and writing to a database, and displaying some variables on screen. In PHP this is very straightforward, and could be learnt with a bit of googling.

PHP is the type of language which is easiest to learn by messing around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I taught myself perl and then PHP by giving myself a project to do. It was easier than going the standard follow-the-notes route.

Advertisement