Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keane

Options
  • 24-10-2008 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

What does anyone think of the Keane album?
    Favourite songs?
    How does it compare to previous Keane albums?

Best song on the Album? 12 votes

1 - Spiralling
    0% 0 votes
    2 - The Lovers Are Losing
    58% 7 votes
    3 - Better Than This
    16% 2 votes
    4 - You Haven't Told Me Anything
    8% 1 vote
    5 - Perfect Symmetry
    0% 0 votes
    6 - You Don't See Me
    0% 0 votes
    7 - Again And Again
    0% 0 votes
    8 - Playing Along
    8% 1 vote
    9 - Pretend That You're Alone
    0% 0 votes
    10 - Black Burning Heart
    0% 0 votes
    11 - Love Is The End
    8% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 richiejg

I've now included a poll, vote for your favourite song NOW

:):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Apologies if I am the only one, but I bloody hate keane, their poncy music with their even poncier front man.

Hate them .

My two cents though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yeah, I hate Keane too. "Is It Any Wonder" was a good song but I hate everything else they've done.

This new album got 2/10 rating in NME! :D:D Though they've always had a grudge against Keane anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 richiejg

What does the NME know :D
    Have you heard the album Bill or Square_igloo???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

richiejg wrote: »
    What does the NME know :D
    Have you heard the album Bill or Square_igloo???
    Yes I have unfortunately.

I dont even think they can be even considered Alternative or Indie, as there is nothing Alternative about them whatsoever. They are more of a poprock band.

Again I respect them, they have their market, but thats it.

You will find it hard pushed that many people like them on here I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BAZM8

liked the first album and " is it any wonder" off the second. heard them on Johnothan Ross and on the basis of that won't be buying the third.

(i agree that their music is not Alternative though... unless the alternative is silence?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

jeez keane are dreadful..think it was mojo magazine that described yer man as a pouff in a velvet jacket...and I hate that "Is it any wonder" into..so i guess I wont be voting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,870 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah that 'Is It Any Wonder?' song was a serious crock of ****.

I did however like some of the earlier songs (except 'Bedshaped' which is also ****).

I'll have a listen to the album but am expecting very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

First,the Script and now Keane,jeez

The definition of alternative/indie seems to of gone out the window.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah that 'Is It Any Wonder?' song was a serious crock of ****.

I did however like some of the earlier songs (except 'Bedshaped' which is also ****).

I'll have a listen to the album but am expecting very little.

You truly are a poet Xav, keane take note!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I've always been a fan of Keane, especially when he told Mick MacCarthy to f*** off! :D

No, the band are alright, I really like their new song, very 80s sounding...kinda strange, the formula they have, no guitars, cheesy lead singer, I shouldnt really like them but their songs are annoyingly catchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Yeh ive always like Keane. Their new album is strange but im starting to like it now though.

They just played live on Jools Holland show on BBC and they had not one, but 2...shock horror....GUITARS!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Wow. Why all the Keane hatred? I'm not a particular fan but I'm fond of their singles and I think the new one is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

cautioner wrote: »
    Wow. Why all the Keane hatred? I'm not a particular fan but I'm fond of their singles and I think the new one is amazing.

I'm guessing their inherent and ever increasing wackness might have something to do with it.

Its taking the piss having bands like this in the alt/indie forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

They just played live on Jools Holland show on BBC and they had not one, but 2...shock horror....GUITARS!!!:eek:

They were on Jools Holland? Wow, normally he has good music.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Is It Any Wonder" was a good song
    Great song.
    This new album got 2/10 rating in NME! :D:D Though they've always had a grudge against Keane anyway.
    NME - bunch of muppets. If Black Kids did the exact same songs (and that's very much what Keane's current stuff reminds me of) NME would be on their knees metaphorically fellating them.
    Any new stuff I've heard by Keane is great... and Spiralling is absolutely awesome.
    They're pretty good as a pop band... I agree, not indie though so this is going to Music. Although Keane were marketed as indie in the early days (and incidentally, NME worshipped them... :rolleyes:)

I must say I dislike the sneering and ridiculing of people's tastes here. It is possible to register your dislike of certain acts without resorting to such a manner and such language.

Anyhoo, that's how many indie fans will be so it's always safer to put threads about bands whose genre is pretty ambiguous into the general Music forum... :)

Ok just made my way through the album (barely) and it is really is piss poor.

Now I loved the first album ('Everybody's Changing' and 'Somewhere Only We Know' are fantastic) but this is just drivel. Boring, boring songs with a singer who is doing his best Brandon Flowers impression on a number of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

First off on New Musical Express. They have never been objective in their lives unless the albums they have reviewed have gone double platinum in the first week or something daft. They slate bands for no apparent reasons other than "i don't understand this", and for as long as i remember, have always given great albums poor reviews, and vice versa. Now i know one mans poison is another mans pleasure and all, but i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who feels this way about NME.

Onto Keane, Hopes and Fears was alright, but i really enjoyed Under The Iron Sea. I don't really understand the hate for this band. They're the best of a bad bunch really when crap like Interpol and Editors got on the map around the same time frame.

But then, i seem to be in the minority as well when i scratched my head as to what the fuss was about when it came to The Killers too... :confused:

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    crap like Interpol

:eek: Ah for jaysus sake I've read it all now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Keane's first album is actually a guilty pleasure of mine /hangs head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

:eek: Ah for jaysus sake I've read it all now.

Sorry, but a bunch of Joy Division wannabes don't do a lot for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Interpol and Joy Division are both droning garbage with annoying lead men.

There. I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

An accurate assessment of those sacred cows-esp Joy Division

I don't like Keane but I don't mind them either, they're not a band that annoys me, same with Snow Patrol, they do what they do but it doesn't p1ss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have Keane's first album - "Hopes and Fears" - and I think it is very good. I like the keyboard work in particular and I think almost all of the tunes are great, sometimes haunting. I can tolerate singer Tim.

I have only heard the single releases from Keane's second album, but I particularly like "Crystal Ball".

Give me a free copy of the new album and I will review it, no problem!

Ok just made my way through the album (barely) and it is really is piss poor.

Now I loved the first album ('Everybody's Changing' and 'Somewhere Only We Know' are fantastic) but this is just drivel. Boring, boring songs with a singer who is doing his best Brandon Flowers impression on a number of them.
    I guess there really is no accounting for taste. I couldn't stand Everybody's Changing-era Keane - that's what I considered boring, whereas ever since "Is It Any Wonder?" I think their singles have become much more exciting...

Jaysus, ppl are slagging 3 great bands like Joy Division, Editors and Interpol..... in a thread about Keane? Talk about goin off on a tangent.:confused::rolleyes:

I have to say I love Crystal Ball....I learned off all the lyrics in case I was asked to sing at a wedding....I wasn't which was a good thing perhaps:o

Oh yeah, another great song.

Dudess wrote: »
    I guess there really is no accounting for taste. I couldn't stand Everybody's Changing-era Keane - that's what I considered boring, whereas ever since "Is It Any Wonder?" I think their singles have become much more exciting...

Meh, all that's happened is they discovered a guitar.

I loved the early stuff because Tim Rice-Oxley is a fantastic pianist (really great energy live too) and his talent wasn't hidden under layers of guitars. The newer singles may be 'heavier' but they've lost the appeal that Keane originally had.

Out of interest have you heard the new album (which is essentially what the OP wanted to talk about)?

• Advertisement

Meh, all that's happened is they discovered a guitar.
    Well in my opinion it's because their songs have actually got better - more powerful, rather than the rather sedate earlier stuff. Spiralling is very light on the guitar.

I'm only going by singles btw but these obviously give a good indicator...

Advertisement