Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a Joke...

Options
  • 24-10-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

Basically I have to resit an exam from last year but there's has been nothing put up on BB about what the exam would be on, if there was assignmants etc.

So I e-mailed the lecturer yesterday to ask and got an e-mail back saying that we are expected to have a 4000 word essay due on the 28th of November. I mean usually you would be told about something like this fairly early on in the semester...

However there was nothing of this on BB and I think giving someone a month is about fair for such a large essay. However she still hasnt put it up on Blackboard yet.
    I'm sure some people re-sitting will just think there's an exam unless they're told about this.

Anyone else think that UCD's organisation is a bit of a joke in this regard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

It's a bit of a joke that you didn't take the initiative to contact your lecturer earlier than this.
    And over a month isn't pleanty of time for you to get an essay together.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

+1. It's not that big a deal and you've lots of time. It's not a thesis. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

This happened to me before, except I only had two weeks to do it.

Did it, passed, and was pissed at...MYSELF for leaving it so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I left it this long because I assumed there was just going to be an exam in December.
    So students should contact your lecturers or its your own fault if you didnt turn up to an exam?
    Get real, Lecturers should really inform students when they have something due like that no?

You failed like, I'm sure UCD informed you of that. Up to you to find out what you needed to do to make it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Frisbee wrote: »
    So students should contact your lecturers or its your own fault if you didnt turn up to an exam?

To put it bluntly, yes. Its your responsibility. I have a feeling the exams office website says something similar to this effect also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

ianthefox wrote: »
    You failed like, I'm sure UCD informed you of that. Up to you to find out what you needed to do to make it up.

yeah, this! its down to you to find out what you need to do. its not ucds fault in this case (woah, who'd have thought that i'd be defending ucd?!)

Yeah, actually. What am I thinking.

Burn the place to the ground, Frsibee.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I left it this long because I assumed there was just going to be an exam in December.
    Get real, Lecturers should really inform students when they have something due like that no?

There's your problem.

4000 words doesn't take a month. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

There's your first mistake, assumption.
    Not at all. However, since you failed the exam last year it would be pretty smart to attend the lectures and keep up to date with whats going on or you'll surely fail again.
    Lecturers are there to lecture, not baby sit you. You're in college now, have some initiative. Don't blame a lecturer becuase you think you're hard done by.

Anyway, it's a 4000 word essay and you have over a month. Whats the problem? That's more than enough time. Unless you waste your time doing nothing and going out on the piss too often.

I've got a funny feeling we'll see this post again in the bitch/moan thread in a few weeks. "OMG!? 1 week to write 4000 words"

You made your bed, enjoy your sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Catcher86

You are supposed to go here

www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/resits.html

and then contact your lecturer if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

Having just spent a year completing a masters in UCD, I can sympathize with you OP.

UCD's admin is woeful. Last year I had to sit all my exams (4 in total) in the space of 36 hrs, with two exams literally running back to back, even though the exam period is 2 weeks. Having stumped up the guts of 10 grand in fees for this course, I thought this was highly unprofessional (surely you should be given a fair chance to perform to the best of your abilities), and I certainly wouldn't recommend the place to anyone looking to do a Masters/PHD.

When ever I made a complaint about this, or any other cockup of theirs, I was always fobbed off from one department to the next.

If fees are re-introduced at University level, UCD will have to buck up, as I can see alot of people looking at other colleges, or going to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Never assume, it makes an ass of u and me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

A friend of mine had a repeat this summer and assumed that she'd get a letter telling her when her exam was.

I by chance asked her one day when her exam was knowing that the timetable went up online and that's where to check.

In the end she had 6 days to study because she also hadn't started studying until she got the date as she'd presumed her exam wouldn't be until September.

It's up to you OP to check things out, you'd check out what possible continuous assessment you'd have for a current module so why not check it for a repeating module.

Many repeat assessments are essays rather than exams.

Advertisement