Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Famine' remark sparks Healy death threats

• 24-10-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from irishtimes.com.

NORTHERN Ireland striker David Healy hit out last night after his life was threatened following a bizarre allegation against him on the internet. In a television interview, the Sunderland player welcomed a recent international goal he had scored by saying it had thankfully ended his "drought or famine" in front of the net.

But the Healy's comments were portrayed as a reference to a sectarian chant relating to the Irish famine sung by Rangers fans which has hit the headlines.

A video clip of his post-match interview on UTV placed on an internet site has received thousands of hits and spawned online threats. "I made reference to famine and people have maliciously represented those comments. I am hugely disappointed in this. I am very angry," said Healy.

This is fairly pathetic, me thinks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

article-1037092-0203D52600000578-785_468x286.jpg
    Fulham and the Irish Football Association are looking into David Healy's flute-playing gesture during Saturday's friendly against Celtic.

The Northern Ireland striker upset some Celtic fans by pretending to play a flute in an apparent mimic of an Orange band member.

Healy's agent claimed the player's actions were a 'good-natured' response to stick he was receiving from some of the 11,000 visiting fans at Craven Cottage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yup thats pretty retarded. honestly some people have nothing better to do then go around being outraged by things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

zAbbo wrote: »
    article-1037092-0203D52600000578-785_468x286.jpg

Whats that got to do with it exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Eirebear wrote: »
    Whats that got to do with it exactly?

It wouldn't be the first time he's been accused of something like this, just thought it was relevant.

Anyone got a link to the UTV piece?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

monkey9 wrote: »
    This is fairly pathetic, me thinks
    Agreed. It's clearly an innocent remark. Some people are just waiting to be offended.

• Advertisement

zAbbo wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the first time he's been accused of something like this, just thought it was relevant.

Anyone got a link to the UTV piece?

The flute playing incident was a bit of complete stupidity on Healy's part.
    But when you take into account the fact that 10,000 sellik fans were chanting "where were you on Sunday? (or whatever day the 12th fell this year) during a friendly, i think it says more about the morons who took offence to it really.

As for this current thing, he made an innocent comment, and a few people on the internet took offence. In all honesty its a bit of a big deal out of nothing.

Unfortunately Celtic fans on certain forums are building a bit of a reputation for "death threats" and the like right now, so its news.

The media reporting just happens to make everything worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

i thin what david healy did was funny and wity and should be applauded for it(the flute)

the famine song on the other hand is vile and disgusting

i thin what david healy did was funny and wity and should be applauded for it(the flute)

So anyone who mentions the word famine in any way shape or form at interview now leaves themselves open to death threats yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

"Online threats"? Do me a favour. Even the Herald have stopped finding 'scoops' in chatrooms. A total non-story. Ditto the Novo thing. Its lazy journalism.

No Celtic fan was offended by the flute thing by the way. There was a context. More media mountains out of molehills.

So anyone who mentions the word famine in any way shape or form at interview now leaves themselves open to death threats yeah?

A death threat is actually threatening someone. Typing ''Healy has left himself open as a target'' on an internet forum is not.

Bear in mind no Rangers or NI player has ever actually been assaulted by Celtic fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Obviously if you play for the North or Rangers, you do!

The thing with the flute playing is that if he did it out of no other reason than to rile the ground, well that's out of order. But for it to be a response as a bit of banter when the Celtic crowd are singing "where were you on the 12th" at him and then for Celtic supporters to complain about it is just ridiculous. F*ck sake, enjoy the banter, enjoy the match going experience.

As i said earlier, these threats to him over his interview is pathetic. There really are some dopey idiots out there!

"Online threats"? Do me a favour. Even the Herald have stopped finding 'scoops' in chatrooms. A total non-story. Ditto the Novo thing. Its lazy journalism.

No Celtic fan was offended by the flute thing by the way. There was a context. More media mountains out of molehills.
    Dude, ive already commented on the fact that its much ado about nothing.
    Bear in mind no Rangers or NI player has ever actually been assaulted by Celtic fans.

Well, that depends on your definition of assault doesnt it.

Did Celtic ever catch the guy who hit Ricksen with a lighter? Or any of the coin throwers from the past?

Lets not go down this route today please, it bores me.

monkey9 wrote: »

As i said earlier, these threats to him over his interview is pathetic. There really are some dopey idiots out there!

"monkey9 has made himself a target"

how threatened do you feel after I said that? About as threatened as David Healy I would think.

Non story.

Dude, ive already commented on the fact that its much ado about nothing.

I agree. And if both sides of the old firm are saying its rubbish, I think the thread could be closed here.

Well, that depends on your definition of assault doesnt it.

Did Celtic ever catch the guy who hit Ricksen with a lighter? Or any of the coin throwers from the past?

Lets not go down this route today please, it bores me.

Point taken re incidents in Parkhead.

What I was getting at was not oneupmanship, but that there is no previous or context for players to be attacked by Celtic fans for anything, never mind real or percieved sectarianism. If this was Lazio fans making menacing noise, maybe it would be of note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

you think he should be applauded for mimicking an orange band member who celebrate the hatred and murders of catholics??
    blaaaaa

you think he should be applauded for mimicking an orange band member who celebrate the hatred and murders of catholics??
    blaaaaa

to be fair, its not like Gazza who did it, twice, in the white heat of a Celtic Rangers game.

He was having banter, and it was, with Celtic fans a few days after the 12th. No-one there took offence, it seems the only anger was on the interweb.

Of all people I am saying that there is no story here. Bear in mind I would be riding Eirebear like seabiscuit if there was :P

Newsflash - the internet is not the real world.

Of all people I am saying that there is no story here. Bear in mind I would be riding Eirebear like seabiscuit if there was :P

Now there is a mental image im sure many people could have lived without! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

"monkey9 has made himself a target"
    Risking a ban for threatening death there :)
    Non story.
    Absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Newsflash - the internet is not the real world.

Boards is my life!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

blaaaaa

If he was asked "what he was doing on the 12th", Healy had every right to have a bit of banter and most if not all Celtic fans will see it that way. That comment is out order of order? A group "celebrating" the murders of catholics is way off the mark mate. That comment should be pulled MODS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

God Bless the Pope

God Bless the Pope

And the pointless post of the week award goes to......

Now there is a mental image im sure many people could have lived without! :D

images%3Fq%3Dceltic%2Brangers%2Bfan%2Bfriends%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

me reckons "the famine" should get its own superthread on this site tbh.

images%3Fq%3Dceltic%2Brangers%2Bfan%2Bfriends%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd usually tell the paranoid Celtic fans to get a grip with things like this but I can certainly understand the paranoid this time. Surely you can too.

His exact words were:
    "The famine, the drought, whatever people will call it, is over"

The words in the song are "the famine is over"

Hardly just a mention of the word famine. It's very close to the lyrics of the song.

Not just Celtic or Rangers fans, a proportion of any set of fans would think the was referring to the song they hated, especially with that song in the news and Healy in the news recently for the incident mentioned in this thread. Of course they would.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'd usually tell the paranoid Celtic fans to get a grip with things like this but I can certainly understand the paranoid this time. Surely you can too.

His exact words were:

Hardly just a mention of the word famine. It's very close to the lyrics of the song.

Not just Celtic or Rangers fans, a proportion of any set of fans would think the was referring to the song they hated, especially with that song in the news and Healy in the news recently for the incident mentioned in this thread. Of course they would.
    Agreed

How often do players call not scoring for a handful of games a famine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Jeeze cant believe this .Is there no end to the smallmindedness of these people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Agreed

How often do players call not scoring for a handful of games a famine?

I think you will find people in football talk about a goal famine or drought fairly often the amount of talk this is getting is silly "oh but of course anything to have a go at the evil hun" :cool:

• Advertisement

His exact words were:

I cant agree at all to be honest.

I think its simply a case of bad timing on Healy's part, and rampant paranoia in a section of the Celtic fans part.

My mate was telling me about how there was nearly a ruckus at Old Trafford during the week because at the end of the game when the Celtic fans were being held back, a few guys started singing "manchester polis, we want to go home".

Certain sections of the Celtic support didnt like this because of its obvious reference point and began hurling abuse at them.

Like it or not, and wether we agree about the song or not, you have to admit that there is an element of the Celtic support who spend more time trying to find ways of being offended than they do supporting their own club.
    This is just another case of that IMO

English rule is over, why don't ye go home?

English rule is over, why don't ye go home?

EH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So the fúck what if he WAS having a pop at them?

Do the Celtic fans not do it every second week themselves?

Paranoid, hypocritical imbeciles.

If you can dish out a slagging, you can fúcking well take one.

tim

How DARE you use that word.

How dare you come onto an Irish website and use that word.

I'm going to kill you for that. You better watch it.

Like it or not, and wether we agree about the song or not, you have to admit that there is an element of the Celtic support who spend more time trying to find ways of being offended than they do supporting their own club.
    This is just another case of that IMO
    Same goes for Rangers fans. If you think Rangers fans react differently to things like this you're deluded. The big difference between Rangers and Celtic is that Celtic fans like to be liked. Rangers fans couldn't care less.

As for the "death threat". I'm sure I could find one or 2 against George Bush on here if people actually want to consider them death threats. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »

Here's a few comments from the forum on which some lazy journalist decided to roam:

get some of them silent guns out and shoot that wee orange bastard

---

Some crying bicthes in our support. Dry your eyes.

---

Wit a bawbag.

---

"The famine, or whatever you want to call it, is over"

when you're talking about a striker not scoring doesn't the cliche run 'Goal drought'?

he is a **** anyway but what really caught my eye were the two arseholes on the centre spot around the 1 minute mark
    what a couple of bufties :D

---

that's as common a phrase as scoring goals for fun. some people just love being offended.

---

healy is irish,no?

---

nah, having watched the clip, i dont believe he was at it at all.... funny how people leave out the 'drought' bit he said...

---

Ah, he was in fairness, the smile gave it away....

I couldn't give a **** mind, we'd be laughin our heads off if it was the Holy Goalie and i couldn't give a ****e what the **** says.

Wee **** but some scoring record for them ****...obviously likes being a big fish in a tiny feckin pond, can't do it for anyone else bar the O6

---

Orange ****.

---

Verdict -not proven.

He certainly favours the Hun over us but so what.

---

Honestly stop tryin to be offended **** sake.

Do you seriously think a person born and raised in IRELAND went out of his way to spout some piss the huns have been singing? Catch a grip.

He had to publicly appologise for the flute incident, but then he'll turn around and slag the famine while having to return to a Sunderland Team ran by and managed by two Irish men, not to mention a host of Irish players in the squad.

---

knew rightly what he was saying, wee grin and all as he said it, ****.

---

What next though? Can;t say Goal Drought as it may offend folk in Africa?

Ffs, some people on this board and in this country need to get a ****ing grip of themselves.

Can't take a slagging? All they did was slag him back. Hardly gone off cryin.

Artur Boruc has been reported a load of times by Rangers fans for blessing himself, waving a flag, making gestures, sticking his finger up... Easily offended? You wouldn't comment on that in fairness Des.

Same goes for Rangers fans. If you think Rangers fans react differently to things like this you're deluded. The big difference between Rangers and Celtic is that Celtic fans like to be liked. Rangers fans couldn't care less.

As for the "death threat". I'm sure I could find one or 2 against George Bush on here if people actually want to consider them death threats. :rolleyes:

For crying out loud Eirebhoy your seeing arguments that dont exist!

Did i ever say that the Rangers support dont have the same problem? In fact if you take a look in the sellik thread youll see me using pretty much the same descriptions about the Rangers fans who complained abut Boruc.

The fact of the matter is though, we arent talking about Rangers fans here.

As for the "death threats" i have already said on this thread, on a number of occasions that its a non-story.

Its YOU who keeps trying to turn it into one.

For crying out loud Eirebhoy your seeing arguments that dont exist!

Did i ever say that the Rangers support dont have the same problem? In fact if you take a look in the sellik thread youll see me using pretty much the same descriptions about the Rangers fans who complained abut Boruc.
    If I, as a Celtic fan, was talking about the paranoia of Rangers fans, and I thought Celtic fans were equally as paranoid, I wouldn't be singling Rangers fans out for any certain incident without also saying that the Celtic fans are as bad. So apologies if I took you up wrong.

The comment about death threat was in reply to latchyco's post. Again, looks like a reply to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The flute playing incident was a bit of complete stupidity on Healy's part.
    But when you take into account the fact that 10,000 sellik fans were chanting "where were you on Sunday? (or whatever day the 12th fell this year) during a friendly, i think it says more about the morons who took offence to it really.

Your a liar. Nothing of the sort ever happens. Have you never even read 1 off bobbysands posts?

What are a few Celtic fans doing getting annoyed about a Fulham game for anyway?Is there not enough crap slung at Scottish games for people to fight over without looking for stuff in the premierleague?

@eb

The rangers fans that carry on like that are idiots too.

• Advertisement

@eb

The rangers fans that carry on like that are idiots too.
    Fair enough. Pity you don't slag their fans off as much then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's a load of arse in all honesty. Some people just want to be offended. I'd love to hear Keano's take on it.

It's a load of arse in all honesty. Some people just want to be offended. I'd love to hear Keano's take on it.
    people seem to be using the word offended. I've posted up the comments from the thread the article is sourced from. Doesn't look to me like people are offended. Man Utd fans didn't like Celtic fans singing YNWA and I'm sure there was plenty of abuse but they weren't offended.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You have a serious chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

people seem to be using the word offended. I've posted up the comments from the thread the article is sourced from. Doesn't look to me like people are offended. Man Utd fans didn't like Celtic fans singing YNWA and I'm sure there was plenty of abuse but they weren't offended.

I haven't read the whole thread but if people are sending death threats over the sentence quoted then they need to cop on and get a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Stekelly wrote: »
    Your a liar. Nothing of the sort ever happens. Have you never even read 1 off bobbysands posts?

What are a few Celtic fans doing getting annoyed about a Fulham game for anyway?Is there not enough crap slung at Scottish games for people to fight over without looking for stuff in the premierleague?

Even when you're trying to make a point you struggle.

Celtic fans ask Healy where he was last Sunday and you think there's something wrong with that?!

Careful Des, I got banned for a week for saying:

"All the spotty teenage Shels fans on here are gas, do any of them actually remember their "home" game against the huns in Tranmere???

Idiots."

If the same strictness is applied to you, you could be gone for a year.

I haven't read the whole thread but if people are sending death threats over the sentence quoted then they need to cop on and get a life.
    The "death threat" is the first comment in this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57683171&postcount=37

The "death threat" is the first comment in this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57683171&postcount=37

Murray pays 750k stg a year to a PR Company.

That PR Company has managed to deflect from their fans racist singing and one of their players resigning from the Scottish team whilst Burley is manager by this absolute non-story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Another non-story - I suggest the folk here who are annoyed about the online Celtic fans who are annoyed stop right now - do not venture any further into the internet world as there are a lot of things that you will see that will get you annoyed.

I don't who are worse, the celtic fans who are annoyed over this comment or the non Celtic fans who are annoyed over the Celtic fans who got annoyed over this comment

• Advertisement
Advertisement