Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RDesktop & Sound

• 24-10-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

So I've been thinking about replacing my gigantic Dell Inspiron 9400 with my Acer Aspire One (Linpus - based on Fedora 8 I believe) when on the road using rdesktop to get back into the Inspiron when I need it. Enabled Terminal Services in Vista and can connect without issue from my Acer using the following command:
        rdesktop -u vistausername -p vistapassword -f vistaip

Running rdesktop 1.6. Only thing is, I can't seem to get sound from the Vista machine. I tried:
        rdesktop -u vistausername -p vistapassword -f -r sound:local vistaip

but not a peep comes out. Now I know that the Vista machine is sending sound as the sound output device in Vista is being successfully sent to the RDP output.

I read that rdesktop uses OSS and therefore you need to 'fool' it into using ALSA using the ALSA-OSS package so I installed that and tried:
        aoss rdesktop -u vistausername -p vistapassword -f -r sound:local vistaip

Still no sound. Also tried explicitly setting the driver and installed alsa-plugins-oss:
        aoss rdesktop -u vistausername -p vistapassword -f -r sound:local:oss vistaip

still with no sound.

Now the only thing I haven't done is explicitly set the device in the rdesktop command (it seems it uses /dev/dsp as default) so I'm thinking that maybe this is the issue. Problem is, I don't know how to refer to the output sound device on the Acer.

Anyone have any idea how I should refer to it or anything else I can try?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

For posterity I finally got a solution to this thanks to Tony S from the Irish Linux Users mailing list. Adding -r disk:Z/mnt to the command gives sound.

The command I'm using looks like:
    rdesktop -f -r sound:local -r disk:Z/mnt -u vistausername -p vistapassword vistaip

Advertisement