Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keep your headlights on during the Bank Holiday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Zube wrote: »
    I smoke 50 a day and drive home after a gallon of Guinness: never killed me yet!

You should move to Kerry. Jackie Healy Rae will get you a bus to bring your drunken ass from the pub right to your door and everybodies tax's will pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

kikel wrote: »
    The Irish road hauliers were on the radio about this yesterday. The NRA are following their lead. The hauliers point was that they cannot see cars without lights behind them. Because of all the spray a lorry generates.

Interesting point, never would have even thought about it that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I smoke 50 a day and drive home after a gallon of Guinness: never killed me yet!

It'll be the steering wheel through your face that kill ya anyway not the guiness:D:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I dont feel any less safe by driving without my lights on during the day anyway.
    I do, however, feel less safe if you drive around without lights.

If everyone except you does it then you effectively become invisible in a line of traffic and are only inviting an accident on yourself.
    Who is going to pay me for demanding I drive with my lights on all day after they blow 8.6 times faster than before?
    Nobody of course.
    Who pays you for paying motor tax?
    Who pays you for paying 8c more duty on petrol?
    Who paid you for new tyres when they increased the minimum thread depth?

Your argument is based on nothing but selfishness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

It'll be the steering wheel through your face that kill ya anyway not the guiness:D:P

Only if I meet quirke_folder coming the other way with no lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Whats the point in side/running lights?
    I find that in a line of traffic with dipped beams on; one guy/person/lady with side lights becomes invisible as they dont stand out as a car at all.

Remove these and make dipped beams standard.
    Fine the crap out of everyone with them off and/or side/full fogs on. I hate those idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Saw a person driving this morning (6.40am) with no lights on as I was going out.

As I crossed the road I pointed to the lights but they didn't heed or didn't understand what I was trying to say. Anyway seen them a few mins later coming back up the road again with lights out still.

I don't understand how these people survive past childhood to be honest.:rolleyes:

Only if I meet quirke_folder coming the other way with no lights.

FAO Steve C & Zube

Your responding about a law that does not exist.

Check the ROTR

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/your-licence-and-vehicle/vehicle-safety/lights-reflectors.html

BTW I drive with my dipped beam on at all times in low visibilty.

Chillax

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Hello All,

I read this and heard it also on the lunchtime news

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1024/1224715115555.html

You are being asked to keep your headlights on over the weekend on account of the limited daylight hours in the afternoon.

There is talk then of the government moving to bring in a law to make us keep our headlights on all day.

Of course the scandanavian countries are now doing this and their accident rates are down 10%.

The Gardai are now doing this however they are doing it the wrong way in so much that they are keeping Halogen bulbs glowing all day and this is having a negative effect on the environment and burn out much quicker than HID bulbs which the scandanavian countries have.

Vehicle manufacturers are making new cars with daytime running lights which are LED's using little to no power.

I would welcome having daylight running lights on permanently but I would not like a rule coming in telling us to keep our headlights on all day because a lot of people do not replace their headlights when they blow and some barely turn on their headlights in the rain or dark early mornings/evenings.

:rolleyes:

Poll Added.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I would not like a rule coming in telling us to keep our headlights on all day because.....
    Your responding about a law that does not exist.

Check the ROTR
    I never claimed there was a law about this.. you're the only one that mentioned anything of the sort.:confused:
    I would not like a rule coming in telling us to keep our headlights on all day because.....

And also, what has the ROTR got to do with the price of cabbage?

Poll Added.
    Good move.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Poll Added.

I voted against: dipped beams are designed to illuminate the road ahead without dazzling oncoming drivers. Daytime Running Lights are designed to make a car more visible to oncoming traffic. There's no point in aiming 110W of dipped beams into the hedge if what you want is DRM.

I voted against: dipped beams are designed to illuminate the road ahead without dazzling oncoming drivers. Daytime Running Lights are designed to make a car more visible to oncoming traffic. There's no point in aiming 110W of dipped beams into the hedge if what you want is DRM.

+1

What if you don't have DRLs?
    Stay invisible?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

oh if only they were all aimed at the road/hedge and not my mirrors.

Lights can of course be lowered and raised.

If you are towing something or carrying a full complement of passengers or a lot of heavy stuff in the boot then you should change the beam height.

Refer to the vehicle manual.

Its just the SUV mostly that are blinding. You could be lucky to have an auto dim mirror or change the concave in the rear view mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I've started to stick the parks on in my car during the day, and I use dipped headlights in low light.

Of course not everyone has decent park lights and I'm aware they are not DRL's but they are better than nothing and definitely better than headlights on during the day.

Anybody want to volunteer to VAG-COM my wagon so my parks come on with the ignition?

Just to re-iterate my parks are bright and visible, most are ****e...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Yeah, I keep my headlights + front fog lights on this time of year....... my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, I keep my headlights + front fog lights on this time of year....... my bad!

Not allowed have the fogs on if its not foggy + you're blinding oncomers... but leave the dips on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

caesar wrote: »
    Can I request that this be moved to after hours?

At least you don't suggest it be moved to the ladies lounge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

nipplenuts wrote: »
    At least you don't suggest it be moved to the ladies lounge :D

tsk, tsk ...

Drive a Volvo so lights are on all the time but long before I had the Volvo I always turned on my lights, does my nut in when it's bad weather to see people with no lights.... and for the record, i'm a gurl, we're not all bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Driving a Volvo, i dont have a choice in the matter. Pretty glad it does it though. Im positive im more visible than most people and have had very few close calls since ive owned it

Another benefit of the Volvo cars is/are if you want to upgrade to HID Xenon bulbs its only €540ish extra whereby the others cars they model themselves against are in and around €1,800.

Good car those Volvo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

MYOB wrote: »
    Not allowed have the fogs on if its not foggy + you're blinding oncomers... but leave the dips on ;)

They don't blind oncomers.
    The foglights give me better visibility on the road and they look cool. And plus, I've never been stopped yet.

I was thinking of getting the really really bright HID headlights + foglights, now they would blind oncoming cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Auto lights ftw. I haven't manually turned my lights on in over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Also drive a Volvo with Xenon's.

Trading it for a new A6 in Jan with sexy DRL's.

Agree completely that lights should be on all the time.

Just drove on the M4 some silly fool had no rear lights and only one working headlight. Flashed them and put on rear fog light I imagine they didn't get the idea.

Last week it was a truck following a car that had zero lights of any sort the truck had its high beams on as it was following the car so the car had some way of seeing what was ahead of it.:mad:

These examples were at night.

Daytime you have fog-idiots no lights on.

Spray-idiots no lights on.

Heavy rain-idiots no lights on.

Why oh why do cars have sidelights what a useless stupid thing to have in a car.

• Advertisement

They don't blind oncomers.
    The foglights give me better visibility on the road and they look cool. And plus, I've never been stopped yet.

I was thinking of getting the really really bright HID headlights + foglights, now they would blind oncoming cars!

eh, no they don't look cool, they look like you haven't a f*cking clue how to turn them off or what they're for, anyone who drives with fog lights on looks like someone who has no clue about cars

Advertisement