Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keep your headlights on during the Bank Holiday

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have only ever been blinded by a select few cars with front fog lights on.

Landcruisers due to their height.
    Nissan Micra. Nearly the size of each wheel.
    Nissan Almera. Very big also.
    Subaru Imprezza WRX/Replica Big Huge Round Lights.

My front fogs(Audi/VW style) do little in the fog and really only light up the immediate ground in front of me. I even put in nightbreaker to give a bigger apex of light but it still hardly makes a difference.

Dealerships market them as a body upgrade because if they were important then all cars would come with them.

Certain Japenese and US cars dont even come with rear fog lights. My Toyota Hi-Lux 2000 REG had to have a fog light attached by the dealer when it was delivered in this country.

I personally dont feel there is a big deal with driving with your front fogs. I dont drive with my front fogs on, only in the fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

please, read the charter folks, not a foglight discussion ...JEHOVA! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

peasant wrote: »
    please, read the charter folks, not a foglight discussion ...JEHOVA! :D

bloody noobs, they have no idea the carnage a foglight discussion can cause...:pac:
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

Why the hell would people need to be told to put there damned lights on when it rains!!!
    I have to say this though, Im all for bikers keeping there lights on constantly, but jesus lads would ye at least keep em dipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭patrickc

my volvo has them on 24/7, i hate when other people drive it, its like oh lets turn off the lights he left them on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've started to stick the parks on in my car during the day, and I use dipped headlights in low light.

Of course not everyone has decent park lights and I'm aware they are not DRL's but they are better than nothing and definitely better than headlights on during the day.

Anybody want to volunteer to VAG-COM my wagon so my parks come on with the ignition?

Just to re-iterate my parks are bright and visible, most are ****e...

Your parks being bright and visible is a matter of opinion. pics or you're lying:p:p

My mam drives with her parks on and it drives me NUTS...she would ACTUALLY be better off with no lights at all on.

Edit:

Oh here are some nicer LED

http://cgi.ebay.ie/AUDI-R8-S6-STYLE-HEADLIGHT-LEDS-LED-STRIPS-UNIVERSAL_W0QQitemZ150304873370QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150304873370&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2x-Eyes-LED-ANGEL-EYE-Halo-Ring-Kit-Headlight-120mm-Wt_W0QQitemZ280278421447QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280278421447&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.ie/UNIVERSAL-HEADLIGHT-ANGEL-EYES-KIT-LED-WHITE_W0QQitemZ110300350490QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110300350490&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

dips should only be on for heavy rain, heavy snow and heavy fog during daylight hours. its people that dont have them on during these weather conditions are the problem.

tech2 wrote: »
    dips should only be on for heavy rain, heavy snow and heavy fog during daylight hours. its people that dont have them on during these weather conditions are the problem.

Not true. It's much easier to see a car with the horizon behind it when it has dips on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

A stupid idea if ever there was one. What is the PC brigade going to come out next with next, fu*king strobe lights ten feet ahead and behind every car???

Darragh29 wrote: »
    A stupid idea if ever there was one. What is the PC brigade going to come out next with next, fu*king strobe lights ten feet ahead and behind every car???

Of all people, I thought someone like you in the trade would see the sense in this, but wood for trees comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I drive with my lights dipped all the time, I have the "coming home" lights and its handy just to leave them on all the time anyway.

People still run up to me about it ! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ninty9er wrote: »
    Of all people, I thought someone like you in the trade would see the sense in this, but wood for trees comes to mind.

The accidents and fatalities that are being caused during bank holiday weekends would seem to be caused by people drinking and driving and ending up in collisions in the early hours of the morning.

We can all get behind and agree with Conor Faughan and listen to whatever bullsh*t he throws out on RTE during the day, for the sole purpose of promoting the organisation that employs him. This makes us feel good, yeah, if Conor Faughnan tells us to leave our headlamps on in broad daylight, sure well do that and it'll all be grand.

Meanwhile we'll wake up tomorrow and no doubt there will be another 2-5 young people killed in rural Ireland tonight. As I'm writing this post, there are probably people getting into a car, or are right now, being cut out of a car, and these people, when taken out of the car will be brought to an ICU unit or the morgue.

No amount of driving around in broad daylight with headlamps on will have made any difference to the people who will no doubt be announced as dead on arrival after a crash as I write here, or brought to ICU alive but struggling to survive...

Maybe it will make a difference to the AA sales data at the end of the month when their media gimp keeps talking utter sh*te about leaving lights on in broad day light, but it certainly won't make a difference to those who will loose their life on the road tonight...

As long as we have gimps who speak for the vested interests, we'll never resolve this issue. We'll never call it for what it is and deal with it as such...

The accidents and fatalities that are being caused during bank holiday weekends would seem to be caused by people drinking and driving and ending up in collisions in the early hours of the morning.

We can all get behind and agree with Conor Faughan and listen to whatever bullsh*t he throws out on RTE during the day, for the sole purpose of promoting the organisation that employs him. This makes us feel good, yeah, if Conor Faughnan tells us to leave our headlamps on in broad daylight, sure well do that and it'll all be grand.

Meanwhile we'll wake up tomorrow and no doubt there will be another 2-5 young people killed in rural Ireland tonight. As I'm writing this post, there are probably people getting into a car, or are right now, being cut out of a car, and these people, when taken out of the car will be brought to an ICU unit or the morgue.

No amount of driving around in broad daylight with headlamps on will have made any difference to the people who will no doubt be announced as dead on arrival after a crash as I write here, or brought to ICU alive but struggling to survive...

Maybe it will make a difference to the AA sales data at the end of the month when their media gimp keeps talking utter sh*te about leaving lights on in broad day light, but it certainly won't make a difference to those who will loose their life on the road tonight...

As long as we have gimps who speak for the vested interests, we'll never resolve this issue. We'll never call it for what it is and deal with it as such...

The reference may have been to this weekend, but the overall theme of the thread is **at all times** (i.e engine on, dips on), regardless of time of year....I have very little time for Mr. AA either.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I drive with my lights dipped all the time, I have the "coming home" lights and its handy just to leave them on all the time anyway.

People still run up to me about it ! :pac:

I embarassed myself once by saying it to somebody. Now I look at the car model first and if its a bog yaris then the person must have left them on but this guy had an A6 S-line, should have guessed it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Since when has visibility been PC?

I embarassed myself once by saying it to somebody. Now I look at the car model first and if its a bog yaris then the person must have left them on but this guy had an A6 S-line, should have guessed it really.

not as embarrassing as me years ago telling someone he'd left his window open, only to click his little button to lock the car - and roll up the windows, I felt like such a peasant!

Yeh gets annoying people saying, oh your lights are on, yeh, I know.

My Dad has a 06 Nissan Note and that have auto lights option so looks like even bog standard cars are copping on.

not as embarrassing as me years ago telling someone he'd left his window open, only to click his little button to lock the car - and roll up the windows, I felt like such a peasant!

Yeh gets annoying people saying, oh your lights are on, yeh, I know.

My Dad has a 06 Nissan Note and that have auto lights option so looks like even bog standard cars are copping on.

In an underground once there was Passat parked next to my Passat. Both the exact same colour, both with spoiler and both MN reg. Weird but as I walked across the underground so did a man from another lift. I saw him put him suitcase down at the boot of his car and just as he hit his unlock door button I jokinly hit mine from a distance. He opened his boot whilst looking at my car(interior lights on).

He closed his boot and locked his doors. So did I from the shadows. He unlocked his again and so did I. He was looking into my car wondering if it was his or not (Im guessing anyway). I walked around the corner and asked him if he was ok. "ummm no sorry, just looking at your wood trim, mine doesnt have it" or something like that.

I was having a slow day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The foglights give me better visibility on the road and they look cool.

ahahahhahahhhhhhahahahah

Thank you for that :D:D:D:D

Anyway..Some form of light should be kept on all the time, I would agree with those LEDs in front but I'm not going to pay for the priviledge so my dipped headlights will do for now..

Advertisement