Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nct exhaust emissions

Options
  • 24-10-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi everyone,
    Just trying to get some information about this co emissions, I have passed my nct test today and everything was fine as the car is only 4 years old, anyway my lambda is 0.998, co 0.20% and HC 70 ppm.

It says here on the nct report that above CO 0.2% you fail. Now that does mean that I was very close to fail on this CO, should I check this or tune the engine or something? As the car is quite new, shouldn't this CO emissions be under that 0.2% rather than just in that limit.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Worry about it in two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

bingou wrote: »
    hi everyone,
    Just trying to get some information about this co emissions, I have passed my nct test today and everything was fine as the car is only 4 years old, anyway my lambda is 0.998, co 0.20% and HC 70 ppm.

It says here on the nct report that above CO 0.2% you fail. Now that does mean that I was very close to fail on this CO, should I check this or tune the engine or something? As the car is quite new, shouldn't this CO emissions be under that 0.2% rather than just in that limit.

Has the engine diagnostic light come on?

Has it been driving differently recently?

If the answer to both of these is no then I wouldn't get too worried about it, you do need to give the car a good thrashing more often though, driving it too gently results in carbon emissions creaping up as carbon keeps building up in the engine if it's driven too gently because it doesn't get a chance to burn off properly. Oh and if you drive it in town or at low speeds then this often causes the emissions to creap up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

hi everyone,

OP the CO upper limit is 0.3%. You could bring your car back tomorrow for the same test and you would get a result of 0.02%. The results depend to a large degree on engine temperature. If you look at CO test results done on a cold engine, they are off the scale, then as the engine warms up and the cat & lambda sensor reach their operating temperatures, the results fall back down to usually 0% or very close to 0%, all other things being equal..

This is why you should have the vehicle well warned up before going for the NCT. Loads of other factors can influence emissions data, too many to mention here, but just to name a few, spark plug condition, cat condition, engine manifold vacuum leaks, etc, etc... I wouldn't worry about it if I was you, if it passed, all is well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bingou

thanks everyone!! I think you people are right, it probably needs a good thrashing on the motorway, some nice cruising at 60km/h on the m 50..... :).

Thanks for your answers.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

thanks everyone!! I think you people are right, it probably needs a good thrashing on the motorway, some nice cruising at 60km/h on the m 50..... :).

Thanks for your answers.!!

I'd say it might need another 1 before that 60! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement