Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big News! Pedigree Pulls Sponsorship of Crufts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Good stuff, hopefully they get there stuff in order now, its been well known for years anyway..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

hopefully new dog shows to come will take into account what the dogs were actually bred to do and show them on their capabilities rather than their looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

My initial feeling is one of Pot. Kettle Black.

However, I suppose any move in the right direction is a good one, even a hypocritical one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

sorry for being the pesimist here but this will change very little.
    all these health problems are caused by in breeding, because of the kc and show breeders obsession with pedigree they wont allow out crossing. you cant buy dna in the shop or make it up in a lab so the problem wont go away.
    does anyone really believe that judges at these shows will look at say a basset hound and say to himself that dog legs are too short to hunt, his skin is freakishly deformed and his ears a so massivly oversized and his eyes so droopy that he couldnt possibly go through a bush after a rabbit without causing himself harm???
    no he'll look at the blob in front of him with the gammy legs and droopy eyes and say"its a wonderfull specimen of the breed".

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

My initial feeling is one of Pot. Kettle Black.

True.

In the article, it says Pedigee isn't claiming to be pulling out because of any particular reason, and they say they will get involved with the Kennel Club some time in the future. I guess that way they can deflect any attention that might come their way if they were to take a highly principled stand on it.

It will be extremely interesting to see the results of the BBC scientific review of the claims of the programme.
    sorry for being the pesimist here but this will change very little.

I disagree - nothing talks like money. I reckon it'll force the KC to review its standards and perhaps even make them stop registering puppies born from dogs with genetic problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

whitser wrote: »
    does anyone really believe that judges at these shows will look at say a basset hound and say to himself that dog legs are too short to hunt, his skin is freakishly deformed and his ears a so massivly oversized and his eyes so droopy that he couldnt possibly go through a bush after a rabbit without causing himself harm???
    no he'll look at the blob in front of him with the gammy legs and droopy eyes and say"its a wonderfull specimen of the breed".

What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Aye! And where is the statement from the BBC? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

MsFifers wrote: »
    True.

In the article, it says Pedigee isn't claiming to be pulling out because of any particular reason, and they say they will get involved with the Kennel Club some time in the future. I guess that way they can deflect any attention that might come their way if they were to take a highly principled stand on it.

It will be extremely interesting to see the results of the BBC scientific review of the claims of the programme.

I disagree - nothing talks like money. I reckon it'll force the KC to review its standards and perhaps even make them stop registering puppies born from dogs with genetic problems.
    money talks alright and the money that ped chum sponsor for one show is buttons compared to money taken in from breeders reg-ing pups and the money taken in from other shows throughtout the year. the kc is a club, its members make up its rules. unless you can change their obsession with looks and pedigree nothing will change. the ped chum withdrawing te sponsor is a good signal to send out but ultimately nothing will chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

unless you can change their obsession with looks and pedigree nothing will change.

That is the quote of the week for me!

Advertisement