Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much midterm study are you going to do?

Options
  • 24-10-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

As always, I have such excellent intentions to get loads of study done over the week off.
    But failure is imminent- I already foresee a great deal of procrastination tbh!

I was talking to a few people about it today- Some have intentions to do about 7 hours a day, others have left all their books in their lockers :P
    So, in general, how much do you think you'll be doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I've been out all week so it looks like I'm only gonna be studying Irish, Chemistry and History! Probably about 4-6 hours a day, but I can see that failing. Plus I've like 15 hours of grinds next week so, needless to say, eep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

:(i have so much to do...

homework-wise..

accounting ; 3questions, and revision for two topics
    business; 2exam Qs and revision for unit 1
    french; go over all the vocabs from unit 1-6
    maths; 2004-2007 paper 2, Q4 partCs
    ag ec; project thingy
    applied maths; 2exam Qs
    home ec ; two exam Qs and revision for somethingy on the revision sheet
    and kindly enuff have no other hw from the other teachers.

personally i am gonna catch up some study,i have to catch up maths fundamentals, go over home ec social studies,if i don't do it now, i will never get it ..that will take a good bit of time

ah ha and i am gonna sleep as much as could possibly do,and roll on bank holiday weekend, and meeting friends, and will do loads xmas shopping also ..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

A couple of hours from Sunday onwards but my history project is my main priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Fair play!
    I did LC this year and nobody did that much during mid-term( 7hrs!!!!!!).....so if your plans fail.......don't get too upset.
    We probably did get loads of homework though............those were the days:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Going for 3 days of 3 hours study, the 3 subjects being Physics, Geography and Business. Writing out a passage and phrases and stuff for both Irish and French oral. Have 8 Maths Past Paper questions and an English Past Paper essay aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 snowflakes

A lot of our teachers advised us not to overdo the study this midterm. We need a break too!! cant wait to go out.
    I'll probably pick two days to do a few hours study. Otherwise I'll feel guilty everyday for 'not getting anything done today'.
    Then hopefully after a nice relaxing break I'll be ready to take on the next term....
    Have a Happy holiday!!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Ok guy's did this last year .

Don't build everything up into a massive thing

Think about it in terms of a school week .You go to school for 6 and study for maybe 2-3 hours.Thats 9 hours a day.So even if you do half that over the 16 days, break it up into the times you are not doing anything productive.

So break it up and make a little time table for getting assignments done.

For gods sake don't stress about anything .If you do you are more likely to try and relax more and then inturn wont study much at all.

Also ,enjoy yourself.This is a marathon ,not a sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I reckon ill do none, do my homework and enjoy my break is all!

Put this way, its the last break ill get when i dont need to work right throgh it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think I'll do my homework tomorrow then aim for 3-4 hours throughout the day each day. Though I don't really measure study in hours, I just want to get a fair whack of the chem and bio course covered and a decent bit of maths and irish, brush up some music and I'll be happy- so however long that takes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »
    I think I'll do my homework tomorrow then aim for 3-4 hours throughout the day each day. Though I don't really measure study in hours, I just want to get a fair whack of the chem and bio course covered and a decent bit of maths and irish, brush up some music and I'll be happy- so however long that takes!

Im much the same really, dunno how much hourwise but i have to pretty much re learn everything from before the test for anions in chem, good bit of irish, and more physics then is humanely possible. :)

No homework at all though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Irish 2008 paper, some French, maths and biology questions, history essay and read Macbeth again.

I'm not going to put a time on it. I'll just divide it up evenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Going over Algebra in H.L maths,
    Have a study plan for the week for english from teacher
    For engineering i'v got to do 3 sketches of our projects one detailed sketch with dimensions one materials sheet,one cardboard model of chosen sketch and 2006 H.L paper..
    Learning off unit one in biology only doing pass irish so not ot bothered,And french teacher was away this week so i got abit done in the free classes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm going to do all my homework and the second draft of my History research project, and hopefully go over a bit of algebra. No time frame in mind, but nothing on the level you're doing. Seven hours a day? wow. My teachers all told us to take it easy this week because it's the last break we'll have till July :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

**** I need to get sone:

Revise Macbeth, maybe write out scene-by-scene analysis or something.
    Get Differentiation out of the way. I hate Differentiation.
    Try and get Organic Chemistry straight in my head. I'm still having difficulty putting it all together. Aldewhats?
    Revise the **** out of Human Biology.
    Listen to all three movements of Mozart's piano concerto at least once a day.
    Do a few Music listening papers.

Which leaves French. I never know how to go about revising French. 'Spose I'll do a few exam essay questions or something.

A good idea for French would be to do a few different essay questions like you said and try and get someone you know who speaks french to correct them, or your teacher might correct them after midterm. Also maybe make a folder of different themes, find nice phrases on the environment, transition year, drugs and alcohol and try and work these into essays that deal with these topics.

Also do lots of french comprehensions and take down all the new words you come accross, then learn the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i'm taking this weekend off studying. then mon, tues and wed im doing around 3 hours a day.
    i'm doing work experience on thurs and fri so that rules study out there.
    then another 3 hours on sat and sun of next week.

that's the plan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

French:22 oral topics to wirte out
    English:comparitive essay and a normal essay
    Irish:aiste and to learn an mathair
    Maths:2 questions that ive got done
    History:revising parnell and the land question
    Biology:study for a test on fecking genetics and 3 exam questions and two sets of short questions
    chemistry:revise all experiments

if i get that done then ill be a happy bunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

i'm doing nothing

just homework that was given

i am getting more disheartened by points daily :confused:

So far I've done nothing on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Did a small bit of homework today.

i'm exactly the same as you piste.

did about an hour of biology exams questions. the amount we got is ridiculous.
    although my irish teacher is worse.
    we have to revise:
    oíche nollaig n mBán
    dán do Mhelissa
    An Chéad Dráma
    An Mháthair
    all of An Triall.
    Gealt
    Níl Aon Ní
    Bímse Buann ar buairt gach ló
    Jack
    AND
    essays on:
    bochtanas
    spórt
    an córas oideacheais
    ciníochas
    coiriúlacht
    timpeallacht

even though we haven't finished oiche nollaig na mban or done ciniochas or coiriulacht.
    how she expects us to do all that in a week is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

^Thats a LOT of irish to revise....especially in a week! Best of luck with it, thats gona be tough!

For Homework:

Maths: Q 1 and 2, paper 1 2007/2006/2005
    Irish: Revise an Mhathair
    Music: A harmony and a composing Q
    Biology: Two Tests to answer (ones he gave to 5th years...!)

So Far, study wise iv done:

Home Ec: Minerals and Water
    Geography: The Rock Cycle
    Biology: Respiration
    Music: Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique
    Irish: Half through my revision of An Mhathair

Jaysus Kateos2 that's ridiculous!

i know!
    there is no way we would get even half of that done in a week of school. the woman really is an idiot. all we've done for an trial is scene summarys and she gave us a few photocopied notes but didn't go through them at all. so i've no clue how to answer any questions on it or anything!
    i could rant a lot longer but i'll probably just bore you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm going to start my study tomorrow. I am. Really.

I have plenty of motivation- ie, I'm not going to repeat again :P.
    I'm going to get up and start studying at 9, following my school timetable, including the 40 minutes off for lunch and so on. That means I'll be free from 3.10 onwards.
    I'll do that until Sunday, or perhaps until Saturday depending on my mood. If I'm not getting enough covered I can spend longer studying every day- but I always find it best to get my study done early and taking the evenings off to relax.

Because I'm such an assiduous and dilligent student I'm missing the first 2 days of school after the midterm to go to a random concert I booked tickets for a few months back. So I landed myself with extra midterm study by telling my teachers I'd be missing those days and asking what was going to be covered so I could have it done beforehand.
    Damn my honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Havn't started yet :D
    Will begin tomorrow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lucky that you got the choice. I got given 3 English essays, a full Irish exam paper, something like 6-8 Physics questions, etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

bythewoods wrote:
    I'm going to get up and start studying at 9, following my school timetable, including the 40 minutes off for lunch and so on. That means I'll be free from 3.10 onwards.
    I'll do that until Sunday, or perhaps until Saturday depending on my mood. If I'm not getting enough covered I can spend longer studying every day- but I always find it best to get my study done early and taking the evenings off to relax.
    I like this idea. Think I'll try it. Although knowing my luck I'll have triple Religion, Career Guidance and PE or something tomorrow.

Haven't started yet (bar the 2008 and 2007 maths paper 1's I did today), If I get my geography field work finished with I'll be happy.

And I don't feel a bit guilty about not studying, I just lie to myself about needing a break and it completely gets rid of all guilt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I've done nothing at all yet. May do a bit tomorrow and Thursday, though it'll probably only be homework.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

friday --> went out:D
    sat ----> sick, slept:( and watched loads DVDs
    sunday --->slept and went out:D
    Moday ---> watched DVD:D

today -->> was online for during the day :D -->> i was there CRAP :eek:i have to study i wasted 4days ..>>:rolleyes:started studying...(only maths:confused:)

lol thats my holidays ..so..far

Advertisement