Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrawny Foxes

• 24-10-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Since the wheelie bin came in all the urban foxes look scrawny ! No more bushy tails, They all look like the rhunt of the litter and have gotton smaller, as a taxi driver working nights I notice these things. Merrion Rd look ok, Family that used to live in Merrion Sq are gone, very few in that area in the last 2 yrs ! No food I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Take a look at the picture sticky. They look fairly healthy there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Saw a very healthy one in Ballsbridge last week. Perhaps scrawny animals that you have seen are juvenile. Not fully grown yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The OP is correct in what he says about the deteriorating health of our urban foxes since the wheely bin.
    Saw a very healthy one in Ballsbridge last week. Perhaps scrawny animals that you have seen are juvenile. Not fully grown yet?
    No I would say the one you saw was one that was very healthy from feeding off the ducks found along the Dodder bank and Herbert park. Unfortunately most urban foxes do not have this rich food source and end up either starving, eating smaller family pets and song birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

The OP is correct in what he says about the deteriorating health of our urban foxes since the wheely bin.

No I would say the one you saw was one that was very healthy from feeding off the ducks found along the Dodder bank and Herbert park. Unfortunately most urban foxes do not have this rich food source and end up either starving, eating smaller family pets and song birds.
    No disrespect or anything. But really; Starving? I think not. The reason for the urbanisation of foxes in the first place is the foodsource, healthy or otherwise. And the densities of fox populations in urban areas, especially in England, is greater than rural areas.

Did you look at the photos Run to de hills...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Mod edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

NoNameRanger banned for seven days for personal abuse.

Folks, it can become a bit too heated in here at times. I like debate but remember, attack the post not the poster.

This is a general warning to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

i would say if the foxes are looking in bad shape its more then likely mange then a shortage of food. mangey foxes will loose weight and hair.

Ok, I don't know what is going on, but has anyone seen the photos I posted up? The foxes are in incredibly good shape. No mange, they are fat and healthy with lots of hair.

lightening wrote: »
    Ok, I don't know what is going on, but has anyone seen the photos I posted up? The foxes are in incredibly good shape. No mange, they are fat and healthy with lots of hair.
    the foxes in your pics are in fine fettle. but op noticed ones that are scrawny that could be down to mange,thats all. when he mentioned no bushy tails, a hairless tail is a sigh of mange.
    you should go up to the car parks around the summit of howth to see foxes lightning,you'll get some nice pics up there.

• Advertisement

yeah, was up there a while ago, lovely foxes, still have to see mangy ones though.

Edit... what the hell are you doing in carparks in howth?? Bold boy?

fox watching. used to go up there regular to look at reynard.
    what had you up there? dogging?
    havent seen a mangey in about 3 years thank god. but i dont see too many city foxes only country ones.

whitser wrote: »
    what had you up there? dogging?

Foxing... ;)

Advertisement