Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can another dog negatively influence your own?

Options
  • 24-10-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

I have a 4 month old Westie/Bichon cross and we are currently minding my aunts dog(3 year old Westie) both male. Im kind of worried that the older dog will be a bad influence on my own one. Hes quite terretorial and barks a lot. The dog will be staying with us for ten days and I was wondering does anyone know whether this will affect the personality of my puppy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

*adele* wrote: »
    I have a 4 month old Westie/Bichon cross and we are currently minding my aunts dog(3 year old Westie) both male. Im kind of worried that the older dog will be a bad influence on my own one. Hes quite terretorial and barks a lot. The dog will be staying with us for ten days and I was wondering does anyone know whether this will affect the personality of my puppy?

Yes it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I do think their behaviour rub's off.
    I sometimes stay at my Aunts along with my dog (who is very bubbly) and my Aunts dog is usually very docile but when he sees my dog he follows her actions and becomes so much more out of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

of course it will monkey see monkey do. or this this case doogy doo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Crap :/ And will it be irreparable?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Yes, dont know will ten days make permanent character changes to your dog but he will get some influence from the other dog. Its amazing to see the changes in a dog when another one is around it for a while, almost human like. Just dont let the new dog usurp your position as pack leader and you should do fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

As all the others have said im afraid the answer is yes. I hade a rescue dog here that was a brat for barking at anything and everything and he had my dogs at it. Also another dog here wasnt house trained so had my dogs peeing and pooing all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

*adele* wrote: »
    Crap :/ And will it be irreparable?

Very few behavioral problems are totally irreparable, but it would be better if he didn't pick up the bad behavior in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

My boyfriend's dog is very old and tends to shake a lot and she also wheezes a bit. As she is old and sick she gets a lot of attention. Since my dog met her she's starting shaking and wheezing whenever she wants attention. I find it very funny as my dog is so blatantly copying the other dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

it will rub off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Biggest problem I see is that once a dog has other dog company they have to have it forever. Expect a few tantrums when and after its time to say goodbye to the other dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They do tend to and especially if they are together permanently.

Depending on how much a follower your dog is will depend on how much she picks up on it. One thing to do is perhaps work on the visiting dogs behaviour when he arrives, from the very start so he knows his place.

You could try contacting Dogs Behaving Badly aka Maureen/Westie rescue she really knows her westies and perhaps a consultation with her will give you some tips on how to cope with it and also some helpful tips that you can pass on to his owner to work on his barking. The tips could also help you with keeping manners on your own pooch once the naughty visitor has gone.

Dogs can also have postative infulences on each other but they do tend to pick up bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Thanks for the help guys,
    Ah I guess theres worse dogs he could be like, the older dog has quite a nice personality. I suppose all males are gonna be terretorial now and again. Ill look into getting tips about it too.
    Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We now have a collie who tries sometimes to bounce up and down like our Jack Russell/Basset cross.. she looks ridiculous doing that. But the smaller dog is the dominant bitch and never tries to dance like the collie.

Advertisement