Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso Van Spotted

Options
  • 24-10-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Snap of new gatso van arriving in Bailieborough Co. Cavan..

gatsosu7.jpg

I dont have a problem it is targetting real speeders... Not just soft targets on the edge of town as per usual...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Are they not supposed to be marked?

Its hardly a deterant if you dont know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

it seems to be stopped in traffic, rather than actually 'in action'

It could be the Transit then again it could be the Toyota Van at the corner :D

There is a bit of a shine on the picture so I cannot see personally. Is there something there which assured you it was a Gatso mobile? I cannot see any camera, there is defo something in the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Its hardly a deterant if you dont know what it is.
    Perhaps the ticket, rather than the van, is the deterrent?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

There is a bit of a shine on the picture so I cannot see personally. Is there something there which assured you it was a Gatso mobile? I cannot see any camera, there is defo something in the windows.

Could see camera at rear window on right and some electrical stuff at other... Also had a number of blue colars inside.. and parked up at the station.
    I'd be sure its a Gatso !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Anan1 wrote: »

Yeah when it eventually arrives in the post..weeks later. What about the remainder of that drive and the subsequent drives after the speeding offence but before the notice arrives on your hall floor!

These vans are being called the Talivan in the UK

The ticket can only deter you from doing it again.

The UK is where most of the comparisons come from with Gatso vans which must be marked.

Gatso cameras even in this country must be announced in advanced. They are placed in black spot or high speed areas so seeing the sign makes you slow down causing less speed and less carnage.

I have seen on the M1 and M7 garda cars with nobody inside and no gatso inside up on the garda ramps(which they rarely use) to encourage people to slow down. This is a deterent.

In the early 90's whilst I was in the UK they used to have cardboard cutouts of cop cars on the fly overs to encourage people to slow down. Its not until up close do your realise its fake but you HAVE slowed down.

Fake Cameras in UK

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso4.htm

The following would be frigthening, Cheaper than a van and a man inside and more mobile and easier to hide behind signs and bushes

mobile.jpg

Here is a link to the Talivan pictures

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/van.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anan1 wrote: »
    Yeah, they wait a few weeks till you've completely forgotten about the event and then send you a bill for your trouble.

The only thing that teaches you is to keep one eye on your speedo and the other scouring the hedges for gatso vans. Whatever you do, don't look out for the child crossing the road.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

ciarsd wrote: »
    Yeah when it eventually arrives in the post..weeks later.

You'd be lucky to get the ticket in a few weeks.

I got pulled over three months ago and still nothing. I was going to fast to have gotten off so why don't they just send me the bloody ticket. Really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

bbam wrote: »
    Could see camera at rear window on right and some electrical stuff at other... Also had a number of blue colars inside.. and parked up at the station.
    I'd be sure its a Gatso !

The Light reflection on the right hand side looks like the MultaRadar C's Controller (The back of the black part in the pic is light grey / white)

foto2_t.jpg

foto4.JPG

Any markings on the side, I had no doubt when they said the vans would be marked that they would have markers on the side and not the back :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ciarsd wrote: »
    Yeah when it eventually arrives in the post..weeks later. What about the remainder of that drive and the subsequent drives after the speeding offence but before the notice arrives on your hall floor!
    SteveC wrote: »
    Yeah, they wait a few weeks till you've completely forgotten about the event and then send you a bill for your trouble.

The only thing that teaches you is to keep one eye on your speedo and the other scouring the hedges for gatso vans. Whatever you do, don't look out for the child crossing the road.:rolleyes:
    You'd be lucky to get the ticket in a few weeks.

I got pulled over three months ago and still nothing. I was going to fast to have gotten off so why don't they just send me the bloody ticket. Really annoying.
    The problem with visible deterrents is that they only deter when they're there. To make the system work would therefore require exponentially more cameras than with covert traps. Kind of like combatting drink-driving with saturation policing everywhere, i'd imagine it's just too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

they are all high cube transits!

all the new ones they just bought are and so are all the old ones!

the old ones have a flourescent stripe across the back. im surpised the new ones dont:eek:

the old ones have a flourescent stripe across the back. im surpised the new ones dont:eek:

Are you sure about that? :pac:

gatsovaniv7.jpg

Wind must have blown the strip off the back of the van..

For the record: Van was on the M1 Northbound (before Airport turn) in the 80K :rolleyes:

Are you sure about that? :pac:

gatsovaniv7.jpg

Wind must have blown the strip off the back of the van..

For the record: Van was on the M1 Northbound (before Airport turn) in the 80K :rolleyes:

oops my bad. but i know for a fact that there is one old white one and one old green one with a orange and red stripe on the back!

oops my bad. but i know for a fact that there is one old white one and one old green one with a orange and red stripe on the back!

I knew what ye meant :P I wouldn't be surprised if they were peeled off as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Seeing as they are not marked and to make things a little fairer here's the reg numbers of the fleet of 8, all white transit vans, Cartell tis hand :D

08-D-61808, the one above.
    08-D-61810
    08-D-61831
    08-D-61843
    08-D-61846
    08-D-61850
    08-D-61856
    08-D-61857

Looks like all you need to remember is white Transit 08D618** and your fcuked

Any markings on the side, I had no doubt when they said the vans would be marked that they would have markers on the side and not the back :rolleyes:

None... Just white van, seemed to be two sky lights on the top..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Seeing as they are not marked and to make things a little fairer here's the reg numbers of the fleet of 8, all white transit vans, Cartell tis hand :D

They should have a little sticker over the plate:

"If you can read this, you've been caught"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Two of the old gatso vans had reflective strips on the back as well as
    "speed kills - slow down" bumper stickers. I was often stuck in traffic
    beside them when they were parked up in front of Coca-Cola across from
    the Red Cow. I remember hearing the Health and Safety guidelines meant
    they needed the strips on the back to prevent people running into the back
    of the van whilst the gatso operators where inside. Does anyone know if this
    practice has changed? (Those reflective strips saved me a couple of times!)

SteveC wrote: »
    They should have a little sticker over the plate:

"If you can read this, you've been caught"

:D

Mmm...
    Just as I was taking the snap I thought... "hope that F*****g camera is off" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if this
    practice has changed? (Those reflective strips saved me a couple of times!)

yeah please let us know!

they saved me a few times aswell god bless them stripes!!!!:D

Advertisement