Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Ennis

• 24-10-2008 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

:) HI EVERYBODY!!

Thinking of moving to Ennis from Co Dublin. I have 2 kids and would like to know whether you think the area is a good place to bring up children.

Also, as we're looking for a house to buy, is there one or more estates I should avoid?

My kids would be attending the Educate together National School. Any comments?

Please, advise so much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Best move you can make, I'm born and bread in the banner county, actually, you might want to re-think that :)

There are plenty of estates to be avoided, but they can be spotted very easily, most of the schools in town are co-ed at this stage so there won't be a problem with schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Activities for children are crazy expensive in and around Dublin so I'd say unless you're very well off somewhere like Ennis is a great idea. I spent alot of time showjumping in my earlier years and comparitively speaking it's ridiculously cheap round these parts. Great place to learn trad music too.

If you work in Limerick the commute isn't too bad. You'd spend less time in traffic than Dubland.

For its size it's also pretty lively. Plenty of shops, decent nightlife, plenty things to do and you're very close to Limerick or Galway if you want to go there for the day. Close to lots of good beaches.

Estates to be avoided... hmm. That's a good question. And I'm not really up enough on these things to be able to offer solid advice. I'd say you'd want to be a mile out of town generally speaking. Lahinch Road (one nearest town by river is rough, past that), Kilrush Road (about a mile out), Tulla Road.

When I was a kid the toughest parts were the most inner estates like Clancy Park, Cloughlee, Hermitage and the one by Dowds. But maybe that's all different now 15 years later and it's just old people in them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Turnpike I think is where your thinking of Blitz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Beware of the estates with the lowest priced houses. You mightn't like the neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

I live in Oakleigh Wood on the Tulla Road and it is a lovely place to live with lots of young kids around and very safe. No bad neighbours and you can re sell easier than other places. Best thing to do is come around and drive around estates to see if they are places you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

ECOD wrote: »
    :) HI EVERYBODY!!

Thinking of moving to Ennis from Co Dublin. I have 2 kids and would like to know whether you think the area is a good place to bring up children.

Also, as we're looking for a house to buy, is there one or more estates I should avoid?

My kids would be attending the Educate together National School. Any comments?

Please, advise so much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Do you not mean the Ennis National School???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

seany2929 wrote: »
    Do you not mean the Ennis National School???

He probably means the Educate Together school on the Gort Road (beside Cois na hAbhna).

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

I moved to Ennis from Meath this July with my 12year old and we absolutely love it. It's a lovely town and we've never experianced any trouble. Seems to be lots going on for the kids too - especially over the summer. I love that we have both the beach and the burren so close to us, while still being central to the town.
    Not here long enough to know the "good" and "bad" parts - I know price of houses can be an indicator but a cheaper house doesn't always neccessarily mean bad neighbours! I believe house's around the Tulla road are nice, also around St. Flannan's College
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

He probably means the Educate Together school on the Gort Road (beside Cois na hAbhna).

Ha ha! Best username ever! Can i've a carpet!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EresMama

Any updates on the areas to avoid when moving a family to Ennis? We are OK with character and people out of the "norm," but we're not ok with unsafe areas as we have a little one. Ideally we'd love to walk into town, but is that not possible??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

What have you looked at?

Advertisement