Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaaaagh. Cant transfer numbers to new phone

• 24-10-2008 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I have a Sony Ericsson K800i with a dodgy speaker. I got a Nokia E51 the other day but can't transfer numbers.

The Sony has 950 numbers on it, all on phone memory. Normally when I transferred numbers before with other phones I got a a "copy" or "move" option. With the Sony I only have a copy option. So I copy 250 numbers to the sim, transfer to the E51 phone memory and put the sim back into the Sony to do the next 250 numbers the same numbers are copied again...Aaaagh.

I have tried installing the Sony softweare onto a computer, backing up the numbers, installing the Nokia software and tried to transfer the data file but the Nokia can't understand the Sony file format.

Went to CarPhone Warehouse, O2 and a Vodafone shop, where all 3 shops said I would have to transfer them one by one......J*s*s. There's 950 numbers. There are some old number that I could delete, 50-70 maybe but that's still about 900 numbers.

Is there anybody out there with a solution to this...I would be in your debt forever.

By the way, lesson to be learned.....stick with one brand of phone. My mistkae...moving from Nokia in the first place....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sync your contacts with Outlook from the SE and then back to the Nokia, it should be pretty straightforward.

If you have the software for both phone then it'll be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

When you back up the numbers from the sony try and create a ".CSV" format file. I dunno, maybe you can choose this in the sony software, maybe sony hides this somewhere, but thats what you're after.

Its basically a table of info (that will open in microsoft Excel). This format is the universal file that can be read by most phones, pdas, microsoft outlook etc.. If you can create this, this is what you want to point the nokia software at.

I know it doesnt exactly fix the problem but might lead you in the right direction.

If you cant do that, rather than copy one by one, why not copy 250 to the sim, sim into nokia, copy to nokia. Delete first 250 numbers off sony. Then copy from sony to sim, should take them in alphabetical order, and repeat. Thats a pain in the ass too but a little less soul destroying.

PS. If either of these options work for you, PM me about you being forever in my debt.

EDIT: ^^ what he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 diydan

Thanks for that.

At the risk of sounding like a technophobe, I have Outlook 2007 but can't find the Sync section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Bluetooth ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

To expand on long_b's answer...

Go into your Phone Book on your SE phone.
    Go to OPTIONS
    Go to ADVANCED
    Scroll down to SEND ALL CONTACTS
    Select VIA BLUETOOTH

Make sure that Bluetooth is ON on the other phone.
    CONNECT and SEND

Failing that.

Connect to your computer and you should be able to save all the contacts to there. I have a Contacts folder in my USER folder where they are all saved. Can't quite remember how even though I did it recently. Was fairly straight forward though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I use www.zyb.com

Advertisement