Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an IP address Database

Options
  • 24-10-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for an accurate IP address database.
    A wha?

A database full of IP address or IP numbers that tells me where a visitors location is.

I can see lots when I google but I'm looking for a recommendation because accuracy and updates are essential.

I know there are free ones available, that's what I currently use and it's not very accurate, saying that I don't have a thousand euro to spend either.....

Recommendations on a postcard please.

EDIT:

The best i've seem to come up with is MaxMind

http://www.maxmind.com/app/web_services#country

They provide 200K queries for $20 which is deadly.
    If they have their 99.8% accuracy then were sorted.

Anyone use them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I read somewhere recently I tyhink that Google are offering this kind of service now for free through their ajax api - not sure what you are doing but you could play with htat I suppose.

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

You could just download their the free version.. has a 99.3% accuracy.

I've used it a number of times, has always worked well for me.

http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecountry/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We use Maxmind and have done for quite some time.

Its accuracy is as good as you can get.

The main issue you'll run into is the way that people mark their IP allocations.

For example, U.tv IP space will appear as UK, as there is no way to mark it as anything else

Satellite providers may appear as Holland, Germany or Belgium, as the IP pools a lot of them are using would be listed in the RIPE database as belonging to those countries

A lot of the big corporates will appear as US or UK, as again this is where the IP pool is assigned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Thanks everyone for the info.

Blacknight - good points. Thanks

Advertisement