Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirtakon 08 Volunteers staff signup thread

Options
  • 24-10-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hello all, cade here. Staff Manager for Eirtakon 08. My own relation with Eirtakon has been as an attendee for 2005 and a Volunteer Staff member for 2006 and 2007. This year i've been asked to be Staff Manager.
    If you would like commit to helping us at Eirtakon 08 on the 14th-16th November by being a Volunteer staff member then please sign up here; Also please PM me your E-Mail address so i can send out a reminder notice closer to the Convention Date and also what size staff T-shirt you would like (please only sign up if you truely intend to show up, it costs us to get staff t-shirts).

Being a Staff member does not mean you will miss any of the enjoyment of the Convention, such tasks are generally dealt with either by myself or the other members of the Eirtakon Committee and/or Senior Staff members. Volunteer staff can still participate in the Cosplay and/or Lolita shows. Jobs assigned vary from things such as staffing a Anime Screening room (making sure the dvd doesn't skip and nobody steals equipment), setting up tables for the traders, aiding at the reception desk, running around with a bag every few hours to clean pocky boxes off the tables or even something as simple as poping to the shop to pick up a Double adapter. There's also no need to be nervous, you will have guidance from people who've staffed the previous Conventions and they ran smoothly enough....right :p

There are a few requirements to be staff However.
    1) Staff need to be present for the duration of the weekend.

(it's understandable that if you're not 18 you can't attend the Friday pub quiz, if you could however aid in the numerous other tasks needed to be done on Friday before that event it'd be appreciated)

2)Staff need to be present in the Convention Centre by 9am on Saturday and Sunday morning. (attendees arrive early hence we need staff early)

3)Staff must be over 16 years of age....Preferably 18 or more

By the way, Staff also got Free Tea/Coffee, Coke cola, Smarties, a free staff t-shirt, free entrance to the Convention (naturaly) and a few other perks as well last year.

If you've any other questions feel free to post them here or you can talk to me in the Eirtaku IRC Chat room (dissonance.nl.eu.synirc.net #eirtaku) or even message me on MSN.(hiddenvengence@hotmail.com)

I'll be creating small teams from the Volunteers and assigning Team Leaders (who have experience staffing Eirtakon). I'll also make a schedule of tasks that need to be completed over the weekend and shall be rotating teams between tasks and free time, as such no one team shall be stuck doing a boring job for too long.

Either way I look foward to seeing you all there be it as Staff or Attendees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Hey man,
    Is it necessary to be there on Friday if you're under 18, might I ask? I'm considering helping out, it would be pretty cool... just, Friday might be a bit dodgy for me...
    I might be able to get a friend to come along with me, he's running low on money at the moment but he'd still like to go to Eirtakon, and I don't think he'd mind working for a free entrance in. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Firstly, Thanks for the interest.
    If you're really interested in Staffing Eirtakon, Please PM me your E-mail address and the Size of Staff T-shirt you would Like.

No it is not Necessary to be there on Friday. The main events of the Convention take place over Satuday and Sunday, thusly those are the days that I shall requier staff the most. Friday merely entails cleaning out the Venue (sometimes there are chairs and stuff setup from a event before hand that we need to remove or reorganise to suit our needs) and setting up tables for the Traders to display there Merchandise on. As I said i'd PREFER it if staff were available on Friday but it's no big thing. Even if it weren't to help set up it's nice to have a few beers together so we can get to know each other, staff and committee i mean.

Staff shall be required to work for the weekend, not that it's going to be anything too strenuous, and i shall be assigning Free time to each team. Free admission is natural as you're going to be working there. I wouldn't want somebody applying to be staff to get free admission then disappearing on me after the Con has started. If your friend is happy to staff then i'll accept him/her as staff as long as they can fulfill the staff requirements in my opening post.

If he/she has a Boards.ie account then please ask them to sign up in this thread and pm me their e-mail address and t-shirt size as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Put me down as a maybe, depends if i'm in work/can get time off or not. Will post again in this thread in the near future.

Cheers dude. I've already placed the Order for Staff T-shirts. I estimated what sizes the people who sign up between now and the Con would be. So if you just turn up on saturday morning, tell me your username that you used to signup with and tell me what size staff t-shirt you'd like.

By the way, to anyone else who's thinking of Signing up but doesn't want to as they see this thread is fairly bare of Volunteers at the moment. Fear not, this is one of numerous threads i've opened. Here's the one I opened in Eirtaku
    http://forums.eirtaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2543&start=0

as you can see from that thread alone i've over 20 people volunteering. I've also gotten volunteers from our Bebo page and some Volunteers from the anime and Manga Societies of both Dublin City University and Cork Institute of Technology. So sign up and join in the fun that is staffing.

So this thread is merely to get a few more members. And as the saying goes, "Many hands make for Light Work" and I have certainly recruited many Volunteer Hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I don't think I'll be able to volunteer actually, Cade. I've got a portfolio course to attend on Saturday from 2pm-4pm, so I'd be missing a chunk of the day if I did come in Saturday...

• Advertisement

Yea Saruwatari, with a time like that you'd be missing most of saturday so I can't accept you as staff. Pity that, still there's always next year.

Okay, double post time (Please don't ban me Art_Wolf)

After examining the Eirtakon Events schedule and calculating how many staff shall be required for each event i've realised i've reached the exact number of staffers I shall requier.

Thanks to all those who Volunteered. (Mostly from Eirtaku, Bebo and AMS) I look Foward to seeing you at 9am on Saturday the 15th of Novemeber.

Moneymaker, thanks for the Interest. Though at this point I now have all the staff I requier, I hope you can get free time off Work so I can see you at the Con as an attendee. I shall of course accept you as staff for next years Con when I open the signup thread for that.

1 week till the con people, hope you've all saved your pocket money.

Advertisement