Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company refusing resignation

Options
  • 24-10-2008 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i had been off work for some weeks on certs due to an illness, seen the company doctor who prescribed medication but signed me off to go back to talk to HR. i felt the working environment was a contributory cause and told them in the meeting that I would resign as i felt that I was not able to come back into that environment. i wrote a resignation letter this week but they have reverted to me and are refusing my resignation and are booking follow up appointments for me with the doctor. I've secured and started another role since.

questions: has anyone heard of a resignation being refused on any basis, or on the above basis? I should also note that I am out of contract, it finished the day I wrote my resignation letter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

refres wrote: »
    i had been off work for some weeks on certs due to an illness, seen the company doctor who prescribed medication but signed me off to go back to talk to HR. i felt the working environment was a contributory cause and told them in the meeting that I would resign as i felt that I was not able to come back into that environment. i wrote a resignation letter this week but they have reverted to me and are refusing my resignation and are booking follow up appointments for me with the doctor. I've secured and started another role since.

questions: has anyone heard of a resignation being refused on any basis, or on the above basis? I should also note that I am out of contract, it finished the day I wrote my resignation letter.

a very short answer: i'm fairly certain a company is not allowed to refuse a resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

They can say they dont want to accept it but at the end of the day they cannot refuse it.

If you contact them it could possibly be that they do not want to accept it based on the fact that you refer to the job as a contributory for your illness, if you decided to sue them at some stage that could be held against them as an acceptance of the situation this is more than likely the reason they want to refer you back to the doctor.

Maybe if you write them another letter saying you no longer have any interest in working in their company and not refer to any illness they may be more obliging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

They can say they dont want to accept it but at the end of the day they cannot refuse it.

If you contact them it could possibly be that they do not want to accept it based on the fact that you refer to the job as a contributory for your illness, if you decided to sue them at some stage that could be held against them as an acceptance of the situation this is more than likely the reason they want to refer you back to the doctor.

Maybe if you write them another letter saying you no longer have any interest in working in their company and not refer to any illness they may be more obliging.
    I'd agree that this is prob why they have "refused" your resignation.
    however I would not write another letter to them - if you wish to take some action against them later it may go against you.

+ I don't see any downside to simply ignoring their refusal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They can not force you to accept any new contract - basic contract law. As long as you are not suing for anything, they likely can't force you to visit a doctor either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

They're covering there ass, don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for the advice, i was released on favourable terms

Advertisement