Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate being on-call...

Options
  • 24-10-2008 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hey,

I've been working with a small tech company for nearly three years and part of the job is being "on-call" to support customers nights and weekends. Myself and two other colleagues rotate a support telephone among us on a weekly basis and on those weeks, we're expected to immediately answer incoming calls until 11pm. We do get paid a bit extra for it (€200) but at this time of year, half of that is gone in tax!

Here's the problem: I can't stand being on-call! Its not really about the money- I could be paid double and I still wouldn't interested. Its more about being free to enjoy my evenings and weekend without the shaggin' work phone ringing. Being able to completely shut off from the everyday crap I deal with. Now today is Friday of the Bank Holiday, I'm on support and damn resentful of the fact. We don't get paid extra for covering Bank Holidays and its really pot luck as to how busy the phone will be. Its very difficult to make plans or relax. I really want to tell my boss I'm no longer interested in this. I feel bad that the two other guys will be landed with it more regularly, but hey, they're happy with the money.

My first years contract with them was written and "occassional support" was mentioned, but the job I do now has long since evolved into something completely different and I have no new spec or contract or conditions. It all just generally "understood". They're not the worst in the world: I get okay pay, a couple of perks (mileage and they're paying for my UCD degree course), no sick pay, which sucks. I'm wondering what my legal standing is on overtime/on-call? Can my boss make me do this? Could he make things difficult for me if I just flat-out refuse?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

T.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Teamhar wrote: »
    My first years contract with them was written and "occassional support" was mentioned, but the job I do now has long since evolved into something completely different and I have no new spec or contract or conditions. It all just generally "understood". They're not the worst in the world: I get okay pay, a couple of perks (mileage and they're paying for my UCD degree course), no sick pay, which sucks. I'm wondering what my legal standing is on overtime/on-call? Can my boss make me do this? Could he make things difficult for me if I just flat-out refuse?
    Breach of contract simple as really. It is part of your duties and if you don't want to do it you'll have to negotiate that with your manager.

Advertisement