Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devices/pda's/phones to read books on???

Options
  • 24-10-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I am just wondering what non paper reading people use to read their books ??? I am thinking of getting something over the next couple of weeks to read free ebooks on so what would you guys recommend ??? I am looking for something on the cheaper side of things not just because I don’t have a lot to spend coming up to Christmas (who does) but also because I travel on public transport a fair bit and well if something does happen to it ie it gets rained on or dropped it wont be so much of a loss (although I have to say I am one of those guys that carries plastic Ziploc bags around to protect my phone / mp3 player / book if I get caught in the rain :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

A few years ago I used mobipocket (mobipocket.com) and could read books on my regular mobile. It did have windows mobile though but there were a few different types of phones and programmes it worked with though. Cheaper than buying a seperate device.

(but after the novelty wore off it was back to the nice comfy paper variety)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Hi hun , it's not really for the novelty value it’s more a case of there are so many free ebooks out there particularly of the classic’s that I want to read so I figure it will pay for its self after a while (plus save me space) my phone is more than likely going to need upgrading soon so I thought now would be a good time to look into the different options the reap problem I am seeing with phones is screen size but then again pda’s aren’t much bigger :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I know you're looking for something on the cheaper side of things, but if you're interested in making an investment I've started using my iPod touch as a reader. There's an app called Stanza which is free and so far I've found excellent. I'm flying through books on it, between the bus and other random times that I can use it and it means I don't have to carry a book around everywhere. And the thing I really love about it is that it makes use of the touch screen on the iPod, so a touch on the right hand side of the page moves forward and vice-versa...

Advertisement