Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Tyne/Wear Derby - Sunderland AFC v. Newcastle United

• 24-10-2008 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

sunderland.jpgv. newcastle-united-badge.jpg

Saturday Otober 25th 12.45

Stadium of Shite Light

One of the best derbys in world football, perhaps not for footballing reasons, but the atmosphere is always cracking, and bragging rights can make or break a manager in the North East (as Ruud Gullit well knows).

This one should be one of the best in a long time. Sunderland probably have the best squad since Quinny was last togging out for them, and they can rightly claim that their club is in better nick than their neighbours up the road. Factoring in the JFK factor, and the likelihood that Barton will be making his entrance, this one has all the makings of a proper auld derby.

From a Newcastle perspective, whilst we are probably at our lowest ebb going into one of these derbies in a long long time, we have shown signs of late that the fight is back, and that the corner is being turned. Also, the return of Spiderman, Barton, and Shola's confidence, certainly won't do matters any harm, and Habib cleared to play caps off what looks like a good squad.

3 pts for the Toon, and we really can say that a corner has been turned. If we win by two clear goals, we actually go above the Mackems, possibly reaching the lofty heights of 12th. Psychologically, that will be massive, as it will be the first time we will have been out of the bottom 3 for quite some time.

Howay the lads!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Barton to chop a few of Keane's boys and lead the Toon to victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Barton to chop a few of Keane's boys and lead the Toon to victory.

Really have a feeling Joey is gonna nick a winner tomorrow. Belter from outside the box!

I will be keeping a keen eye over him during the next week or two for FF reasons. Back in the day, he was an absolute pts machine.

Come on Newcastle!

TTBAWA!!!

Changing my prediction, Shola to bag a hatrick, and be cool as fcuk about it

2ngz890.gif

Newcastle starting lineup

Given

Beye--Taylor--Colo--Bassong

Geremi--Butt--Guthrie--Duff

----Martins---Ameobi

Hopefully Spiderman, Barton, and Xisco will all get a run out as well.

Merson, shutup now, you bumbling idiot.

• Advertisement

Having a session in my mates gaf for this Charlie on account of him being a nuts Newcastle fan. More then welcome ;) . Really hope yous get a win. Have my Newcastle jersey on from when I bought it across the water. Not to worry Alan, I'll have the real red's shirt on tomorrow :)

Having a session in my mates gaf for this Charlie on account of him being a nuts Newcastle fan. More then welcome ;) . Really hope yous get a win. Have my Newcastle jersey on from when I bought it across the water. Not to worry Alan, I'll have the real red's shirt on tomorrow :)

Good man KaGgy.5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Forza Newcastle:eek:

COME ON THE FUCKIN TOON!!!!

The away boys are doing us proud. Blaydon races being sung loud and clear.

• Advertisement

Fcuk.

Ball watching lads.

Butty struggling with his niggle, Barton looking likely to come on soon.

Horrible start. Get Joey on.

SHOLA

Cracking header, and another great assit for Geremi.

2ngz890.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

One of the best derbys in world football

ha ha! sorry, stopped reading after this :)

game started off decent, ameobis goal has settled Newcastle a bit now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Newcastle looking a lot better since the goal, martins looks out of it a wee bit, need to have him in the game a bit more, not sure about butt playing on carrying an injury tho.....

M5 wrote: »
    Newcastle looking a lot better since the goal, martins looks out of it a wee bit, need to have him in the game a bit more, not sure about butt playing on carrying an injury tho.....

Martins doesn''t suit the knock it long tactics we are playing at the minute. He needs to be running with a ball at his feet, not trying knock downs with his back to goal.

Hopefully though if spiderman gets a run out, and Duff can get in to the game, he might get brought into it.

Aye, I reckon Barton will come on for Butty pretty soon. Butt doing his usual graft, but we need to keep and pass the ball better in midfield.

not surprised that our goal came from a set piece, not too much happening for us. Changed a little after the goal, need to be awake after the break, think roy ll be spitting fire as we speak

actually lol at Paul Merson earlier on soccer saturday, "this match is not on sky usually hence its not a big game" can anyone remember this fixture not being televised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Duff is actually showing signs of his old self at club level. At one point he got the ball in a tight situation. A few months ago he'd have taken the easy option and played the pass back. Instead he turned, dipped his shoulder and strolled by Whitehead and showed excellent control. Some encouraging signs.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Duff is actually showing signs of his old self at club level. At one point he got the ball in a tight situation. A few months ago he'd have taken the easy option and played the pass back. Instead he turned, dipped his shoulder and strolled by Whitehead and showed excellent control. Some encouraging signs.

owes the club some form really, just been picking up the pay cheque for a while now, injuries not helping to be fair.....

actually lol at Paul Merson earlier on soccer saturday, "this match is not on sky usually hence its not a big game" can anyone remember this fixture not being televised?

Cocaine and Booze have a habit of fcuking with your brain.

_41585324_merson_416.jpg

Agree Eirebhoy about Duff, there is a lot more hunger and ambition in his play than last year. Great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

:O:O Nice goal eh lads. 2-1 Sunderland

Bollox.

Nice free kick though.

2-1 mackems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I was going to bet on another 2-2 draw for newcastle....have a feeling that's how it will end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listening to fivelive, it sounds like Sunderland "fans" are not covering themselves in glory.

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Listening to fivelive, it sounds like Sunderland "fans" are not covering themselves in glory.

Mike

Is that about the Joey Barton thing? Just saw him warming up, he pretty much has to do it in the technical area, and it was mentioned that one fan tried to get to him as he was warming up.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike

From what Shreeves said, one of them tried jumping the rails to take a lump out of Barton as he was warming up. Police had to ask Joey to warmup in the Newcastle technical area.

Barton on.

Fcuk its noisey.

• Advertisement

mackems better side in the second half, simple as that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

That was some free kick from Richardson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its all kicking off, fans on the pitch punches being thrown. The cops arrive eventually.

Mike

mackems better side in the second half, simple as that....

Agreed, our tactics were setup wrong playing a side of bruisers. The amount of times we hoofed it long to Oba expecting him to knock it down. :mad:

Have to say that I though Joey looked great when he came on. Passed it very well, and thats what we need in our midfield right now.

Its all getting nast down one of the corners, looks like the riot police are being brought in now.

Some fun scenes there alright. Will Richard and Jamie be able to talk about the match at all? People will want to see the fans stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mushy wrote: »
    Some fun scenes there alright. Will Richard and Jamie be able to talk about the match at all? People will want to see the fans stuff.

Hardly looked major and Richard Keys, we will bring you any news of injuries :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's all gone quiet over by Xavi and Des.:)

Agreed, our tactics were setup wrong playing a side of bruisers. The amount of times we hoofed it long to Oba expecting him to knock it down. :mad:

Have to say that I though Joey looked great when he came on. Passed it very well, and thats what we need in our midfield right now.

Its all getting nast down one of the corners, looks like the riot police are being brought in now.

He really did. I wouldnt be too annoyed though lads. As my mate said it had to happen eventually. West Brom next at home after them losing 3-0. Really really hope you hop off them. Good luck(Lets hope we beat these fuks tomorrow :p)

//Barmy army toon toon, barmy army toon

Advertisement