Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Reflectors

Options
  • 24-10-2008 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Can someone tell me what should i use to stick the radiator reflective stuff behind the radiators. It's the stuff that comes in a roll so i assume some sort of wallpaper paste type stuff would do ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

I fitted some reflectors behind my radiators last week. I used wallpaper paste (though it's heavy duty, pre-mixed 'professional' type of paste).

I cut a small sample of the material and did a trial on a wall just to confirm it would work (the instructions said to use glue).

The type of reflective material I used (purchaed in B&Q) had a thin layer of 'aeroboard' on the back. Might be fifferent if your material is not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Yeah that's the same stuff i got in B&Q. Only problem i have now is some rads downstairs are too close to the wall to get the foil behind them so i have to take them off, but the pipes for the rads come out of the wall and are secure so not sure yet how i'm gonna get the rads off.

Did u actually notice any difference with the heat from the rads afterwards, ie was it any better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

I put on the reflective foil the same time as I was fitting thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) to the radiators. So I had the complete system drained down and I removed the radiators. I even removed the radiator brackets from the wall so I could put the foil on in one go.

If you want to remove the radiator without draining down the system then you'll have to close the inlet and outlet valves and break open a connection between the valve and radiator and catch the water is some sort of container. But be careful of the water as it will ruin your carpet if it spills. Or you can go the whole hog and drain down the system, but make sure you put inhibitor in with the water when you re-fill.

The radiator is fixed to the wall with a simple bracket, you just lift the radiator up off the bracket. It shouldn't make any difference if the pipes come out of the wall, once you break a connection you'll only have to move the pipe out a few millimetres to get the required clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I really don't know if the difference between having and not having these fitted is noticable, but the theory seems sound to me.
    You are simply reducing the heat entering the wall behind the radiator.
    But don't stop there... insulate the ceiling as well! (not with the same stuff though...) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

youtheman

Have an idea about putting the foil behind the rads without removing them, there's only two rads that are a bit tight and are plastered in so hopefully i'll be able to work around them, wanna avoid taking the rads off if possible.

10-10-20

by insulating the ceiling i assume your not on about the loft insulation stuff ? What do u use to insulate the ceiling and how does it work ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement