Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye Dominance

Options
  • 24-10-2008 9:03pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

This is specific to shotguns, not rifles.

How many of you out there have ever checked your eye dominance?

Do you know which of your eyes is more dominant than the other?

Is your dominant eye over the rib of the gun?

Do you know what happens if your dominant eye is the one not over the rib?

Clay shooters would probably be more aware of this but I'm wondering if game shooters have ever given it much thought, especially as the opening day is looming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Simple trick to find out. Look at a fixed point ahead of you ( picture on the wall or something like it ) with both eyes open. Cover one eye while looking at the object, then the other. The eye that doesn't make the image of what you see shift is the dominant one.

If I make a little diamond shape out of my thumbs and index fingers and hold it up in front of my face looking through the left eye only gives a shift of about 2 inches to the right with the hands held about a foot and a half away from my face when I change from both eyes open to left only and right only. Even looking through your dominant eye alone is going to make you lose a significant bit of depth vision.

In plain English : aiming/pointing with one eye closed if it's the dominant one is a garanteed miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Just had a discussion about that during the week, its the same as been left or right handed, we are either left or right eyed.

By the way your test is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's actually very prevalent, in women especially, to have indeterminate eye dominance apparently, where dominance isn't as clear cut.

When you hit a spot of trouble is when the dominant hand and eye don't correspond.

It's actually very prevalent, in women especially, to have indeterminate eye dominance apparently, where dominance isn't as clear cut.

With the right training they'd make for great ambidextrous shooters so.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

With the right training they'd make for great ambidextrous shooters so.

No funny enough it doesn't work like that. It's actually a disadvantage to have equal eye dominance in shooting. You need to have a dominant eye and it needs to be the one over the rib.

As IWM says it is very prevelant in womem and younger men but most adult males tend to have a master eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

When you hit a spot of trouble is when the dominant hand and eye don't correspond.

Raises hand (and looks through opposite eye) :p

Rather fortunately, playing musical instruments since childhood means I have pretty solid fine motor control in my right and left hands, so amn't at any real disadvantage for trigger control or anything. No excuse for my shítty scores so. ;)

Advertisement