Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting strong and possibly competing in Powerlifting.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

incline hammer strength bench 120kg 3 x 6
    flat hammer strength bench 90kg 3 x 6
    flys 3 x8 17.5 kg

some biceps stuff...its been a long day too tired to remember.

did shoulders earlty in day nothing major

overhead press

50kg
    1x6
    1x6
    1x6 (last rep was push press)

lateral raise 17.5kg 2x8
    7.5kg 1x10

rear delt raise 20kg 2x8

ab pull down

75?? 2x10

that was that didnt feel like going nuts left gym but was messing around later with few lads and ended up doing.

bench
    50kg 1 x38
    1x46

pull ups super wide grip 16,8,6

push ups 1x50

plank 1x 2:10

serious pump after all that. did all these as a challenge with 2 other lads trying to beat each other.....needless to say wont be doing upperbody for few days.

squats

102kg 1x3 - dont know what happened energy just went ?? meh

3x6 nice happy with progress here

RDl

70kg 1x8
    80kg 1x8
    90kg 1x8

walking lunges (of death) 28kg 3x12 felt like getting sick by 3rd one why are lunges so dam hard!!??

talking next 2 days off and doing galway city gym superstar challenge on Saturday !!
    which is

3 min sprint
    1 min chin uos
    3 min rower L7
    1 min bench press 50kg
    1 min situps

cant wait to do this should be good craic plus free membership for 1yr for winner and half yr for runners up

Did the Galway City Gym superstar Challenge tonight

3 min L6 incline treadmill - i sprinted at 17 for most of it don't no my distance
    Bench press 50kg in 1min - 35 reps
    ergo L7 3 min - got 800 meters
    situps 1 min - done old school feel under something comining right up did 15
    pull ups 1 min - 6

1 min between each station.

i cant begin to express how hard this was, No sprints, martial art training , triathlon has been this hard!!!

ergo was were it really hit me wanted to give up after a min but sucked it up my quads have never been so sore. really gave it every last bit a strength with every pull.

sit ups i tought id bang out but was so ****ed i fell over in a heap after 15.

pull ups on a good day id prob hit nearly 17 but could hardly manage 6, and that was with loads a ppl cheering me on.

Im disappointed i didn't do better, but i know i gave it 110%, i held my own on ergo and bench against guys alot bigger/fitter than me.
    Literally i went green by time i finished pull ups i got sick 7 times!!! after. could not even stand up for 20 min had to crawl my way to hug the toilet bowl.

It was great craic over all though , some good gym bonding got to know a lot of people who i wouldnt normally talk to , will defo be doining it again next year. :D

Incline barbell bench worked up to

80kg 1 x6
    90kg 1 x6
    100kg 1x3 PB :D

incline hammer strength

120kg 3x6
    80kg 1 x15

Decline Bench

100kg 1x3
    80kg 2x10

Flys

17.5kg 2x8

d.b. curls
    17.5 kg 3x8

barbell curls
    40kg 2x8

Hammers
    17.5kg
    2x8

meh good workout getting stronger/bigger so happy with progress

• Advertisement

2 sets pull ups to warm up just did 2x6

tbar row 60kg 2x8
    70kg 1x8

Lat pull down hammer strength 120kg 2x6
    80kg 1x20

Bent over row 60 2x10, 1x15

Dips B.w + 20kg 1x8
    + 15kg 1x8
    B.w. 1x20

Squats worked up to

105kg 1x9,1x8,1x9 PB for reps

Meant to just do 3x8 but last track of counting, nearly blacked out on rep 5 of set one, vision and strength just went weird for min but managed to get back up and after few deep breaths was good to go. all squats were ass to grass, Happy with progress getting stronger here. also used belt on last set just to see what it was like.

RDl 90kg 3x8 - meh was fine, used wraps for last set

ab pull down worked up to full stack 2x10

half a large pizza, chicken,wedges, and garlic bread 1x1

D.C. shoulder warm up + shoulder dislocations

Overheadpress

20kg 1x10
    25kg 1x5
    50kg 1x1
    60kg 1x1 PB
    70kg 1x1 PB :pac:

50kg 3x6

straight arm Band pull apart's 3x15

Lateral raise 10kg 2x8

Deadlifts

Worked up to 155kg 1x3 , 1x4

belt on, no straps grip went couldn't hang on anymore after 3, strapped up and did 4 more about 60 seconds beak between rep 3 and 4 to get straps on.

felt ok but on seconds last rep i used my back too much to lift even though i kept it tight and straight felt a bit of a niggle above my ass bone after that , but did one more rep anyway, feels bit stiff now but nothing like a injury just like that i overloaded muscles or something should be fine tomorrow.

So today i took a notion to do crossfit fran

Three rounds, 21-15- and 9 reps, for time of:
    45 kg Thruster
    Pull-ups

I did this in 10:00 my god i underestimated this beast of a workout!!!
    I was dead after it was so hard by last round my forearms were so pumped i could barley hang on to the bar to do pull ups.

I couldn't really get the hang of the kipping till the last round. i went ass to grass on first rounds a thrusters which completely burned me out, on the second round i fell backwards at the bottom of a thruster rep and had to start again.

Video of last round, You might want to turn you volume down for this one a lot a shouting here !!!

I know some of the thrusters arent that deep here and some of the pull ups are very skeptical but meh it was first time doing it ill try it again next month and try get 8:00

• Advertisement

Squats

working up to

107kg 5x7 PB

was just going to do 3x8 but ended up doining 5x7 as i was workining in with d-gal who posts here , who was doining his 5x7 Smolov day so i said i might as well just do that.

was challenging but managed to get all reps good and deep everything ok, looking forward to trying a 1rm soon.....

RDL 50kg 3x15 - just didnt feel like going heavy on these today.

Thats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

'Fran' is an absolute legend of a workout. It looks soo easy on paper but a few minutes in and that terrible realization hits home. :D

Good stuff man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Well done on struggling thru...

Sorry to say tho, outta the 18 reps, there might have been 1 pull up that woulda passed as CF standard! Great fight tho.

Thanks hanley

ya i knew that my self, even after first round of thrusters i couldn't do 3 proper pull ups .ill practice my kipping before next time it can only get better. might try chelsea or Cindy on Friday.

On a side note i MAY run smolov jr for squat and bench some time after jan. or mabey just wait till after single lifts comp if i do lift in it. geustimatining a current 130 for 1rm squat and 110 bench.

current weight 90kg :D heaviest ever, not bad considering a little over a year ago i was 69kg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Cindy's great... even try a 1/2 one first off.

Looks like it's been good weight that you've gained during the bulk too, judging by the vids. You're a pair of board shorts away from being a crossfitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Hi Casshern88. You might want to put that explanation on to your youtube video that it was your first time doing it etc . I've just seen it in facebook doing the rounds of how not to do fran meaning not following proper standards of reaching parellel & chin over bar.

I know all about underestimating it. I've only done it once so far and I've been scared ****less ever since of doing it again. Which unfortunately is going to be on Monday :eek:

Hanley wrote: »

You're a pair of board shorts away from being a crossfitter.

Bench 100kg

2x5
    1x4

60kg 1x22

first set was down with my usual grip which is thumb distance from where the knurled starts from center.

Last two were with a wider grip pinky fingers on last grip mark on bar.

ring dips B.W. 1x6

weight crunches 20kg x15
    reverse crunches 4kg x15
    cable ab pull down L15 x15

4 rounds of ab circut

didn't plan on training today but anywhoo.....rest day tomorrow deadlifting fri then take weekend off.

so i was contemplating doing smolov jr. today i was planning it out in my head thinking a starting it on 28th dec will run until 16th jan . have a week off then hit my new 1rm at singles on 23rd. also possibly run bench one too......

So i decided to test my squat 1rm today so i would know it for smolov.
    my original plan was to hit 140 squat on 23rd.......

Squats

20x10
    40x5
    60x3
    80x3
    100x1
    120x1 PB
    130 x1 PB

Those last two flew up felt strong decide to stick 140 on......

140 x 1 PB :) weight went up strong was fu*kin delighted with this!!!

After a min i decided screw it lets throw on 150 belted up got under the bar and

150kg 1x1 :cool:

Whooooooooooooooo!! so happy with this , serious shock didn't think i would hit those numbers!!! I decided to do it a second time just to be sure and video it

150 1x1

Video to come in few min.

Got it again no problem, so my new squat 1rm is 150!! i'm thinking 160 is possible after smolov?

• Advertisement

chins 10kg + B.w. 3x6

Supper setted with bi curls 10kg 2x10

close grip bench 80kg 2x8

reverse grip one arm cable push down l6 3x10

Defranco mobility drills

20kg hang clean 1x12
    60kg deadlift 1x10
    100kg deadlift 1x8

140kg deadlift 3x6
    10kg Chin up 3x6 } Supper setted

140 dead was good felt strong , grip was the limiting factor, by 3rd set of deads and chins grip was completely gone had no choice but to use straps for last set of both

Face pulls 2x12 L7 1x12 L8

Didnt do a lot today, finished in 15 min, but the DL chin combo was pretty intense. Im only going to train 3 times this week as did a lot of volume last week training 5 or 6 days so want to give body chance to recover,

Also got a idea to try smolov with chin ups , i would love to be able to rep out 20kg with these, all though even on a light weight 5x7 weighted chins would prob be impossibly hard????

worked up to 110kg 3x8

Vid of set 2

RDl
    90kg 3x8

thats that.

ended up talking to a physio today in the gym and basically found out im not activating my core or glutes when squatting. found out how to address this think i may be able to lift more next time. was interesting stuff. that was later in eveninig after my actual session.

Festive workouts...

bench
    95 kg 1x6 1x6 1x3 (done with pinky on rings this grip is wider than my usual grip by about inch , i still am unsure which grip im stronger with , is it a given that most people will be stronger with a wider grip?????)

had no spotter on 1x3 and no one else was in gym, so had to roll in down my hips and tilt it off to one side to get out, awkward stuff.

Chin ups 10kg 2x6 1x3

shoulder twinge on last set so just left it at 3.

curls 12kg 3x6

off to go destroy a serious amount of turkey and ham.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Festive workouts...

off to go destroy a serious amount of turkey and ham.....
    the most important workout of all :P

and jeez your bench grip is narrow, mine is middle finger on rings, and thats narrow ish for me!

Just to completely clarify heres a diagram of my bench grip.

The red line in the bench grip ive used for the last year or so a thumbs distance away from smooth part.

Then what ive trying recently green line pinkys there.

any opinions on which one i should go for or is it down to personal preference.

What a disappointment of a session it was one of those where i went in feeling great like i was going to kick ass , but ended up getting my ass kicked !!

Deadlifts

60kg 1x10
    100kg 1x7
    130kg 1x2
    160kg 1x1

At this point 160 flew up i was feeling good, decided to throw on 180,

180 x0
    180 x0

meh, wasn't moving no matter what just wasnt goining to budge off floor.

170x0
    170x0
    170x0

3 attempt and nothing :( about 1 month ago i got 170 few inches off floor but could not lock out. i reckon i should have defo been able to get 170 fresh but i wasted too much energy trying to pull 180.

130kg deficit deadlift, standing on 2 20kg plated 1x5

At this point i waas pretty pissed off at missing 170 so just said screw it left the deads....

overhead press

52kg 2x6 1x6 1x2(push press)

1 arm press 16kg 2x8

worst sessuion of the whole year possibly serious disappointment with deads.

Squats

20kg 1x10
    60kg 1x8
    100kg1x3
    112.5kg 3x6 (bit of a struggle but got them out)

60kg 1x12

RDl

60kg 1x15
    100kg 2x6 PB
    60kg 1x12 (all over the place with those, working in with some one esle so thats why weights were jumping, 100 felt easy though)

Chin up B.w. + 10kg 3x8
    Curls 10kg 3x12 } suppersetted

Chin up B.W. +28kg 1x1 :D (just for the craic)

quick session today only had about 15 min in gym

Bench worked up to

90kg 1x8 2x6 (again messing about with grip first two wider then last one narrower)
    60kg 1x12

Overhead tricept rope pull downs
    ( http://www.all-about-arm-exercises.com/images/tricep-exercises12.jpg )

L8 3x8

thats that

• Advertisement

defranco mobility drills

Deadlifts

60kg 1x10
    100kg 1x6
    130kg 1x1

150kg 1x11 :pac: PB for reps

120kg 1x5
    100kg 1x5

happy with 150x11 didn't even realize i did that many till i watched video , my hamstrings were on fire by end, and 11th rep was a bit wobbly because grip pretty much gave up half way up and fingers nearly came away from bar, ripped a callus on my hand doing the 150 as well was sore ish for rest a session.

pull ups 8,8,4

thought id get more here, properly a combination of being wrecked from deads and being slightly hungover from being out last night and being heavier (fatter) than i was last time i did these.

was meant to do some pressing but no way it was happing after above, so just did

band pull apart 3x15

all in all good session happy with deads i feel my technique is much more solid now getting more drive from my legs. this diesel crew vid really helped my form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I&feature=player_embedded

video of 150x11 to come

Advertisement