Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tommy Tiernan Late Late Show Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

I found it embarrassing to watch, just as I did the last time he was on and the last and the last . . . . .
    Makes me want to jump down behind the couch and chew on a piece of 4 x 2.
    My fav Irish Comedian would be Dylan Moran, I wonder how he'd do on the atmosphereLESS late late show (the show that died years ago but wont be let rest by RTE)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

amacachi wrote: »
    I think the fact that he went to Britain and made a career for himself due to having actual talent rather than just shouting while on stage like Tiernan means that he's a sell-out.

o brien will present any show , hes what they call a corporate comedian , the great comedians were not ambitious , o brien is pure ambition ,besides i dont find him in the least bit funny and without an ounce of originality

patrick kielty is another corporate comedian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Any show? And how many is that? Ooooh, making a living, what a sellout. If Tiernan had talent he'd be asked to present a show and you can bet your arse he'd do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Abusive post and response deleted. Infraction issued to offender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

K4t wrote: »
    Darragh O'Brien has eclipsed Tiernan over the last year or so. Fact!

That may be so but both still pale in comparison to the late great Dave Allen. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

not nearly as funny as he used to be and maybe gone a bit too controversial.

I did laugh at him calling Pat a robot and when he said that the show used to be on until 4am when Gay presented it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

That may be so but both still pale in comparison to the late great Dave Allen. :cool:

Have to agree with that. I saw Dave Allen at a live show in London many years ago and he was one of the funniest comedians I've ever seen either live or on tv. He didn't have to shout like a looper or swear like a trooper to be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i dunno its strange, thought his galway gig with the jazz and the donkey was genius, but he seems he want to provoke, he hears this humour around during the day from ol wans and wants to highlight it, the thing with the motorbike was terrible too although i missed the punchline if there was one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

dave allen is a legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

I think Tommy Tiernan is hilarious.

Unless your goal in life is to be angry or sad or annoyed or downbeat, I think that puts me one up on anyone who doesn't like him. Gutted for you actually. I'm enjoying something and you're not. Hard luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I didn't see the late late but I just don't understand the adoration for Tommy Tiernan in general. Maybe I just don't get it but I don't find him funny in the slightest.

tbh I have never heard a massive amount of adoration apart from college students and country folk. Tiernan is alright, and he was gas on one late late I saw him on some time ago, but when they do the re runs of his shows on Paramount I dont bother with more than 20 minutes before I channel hop. He is average.
    Degsy wrote: »
    Or maybe the sight of some cnunt coked off his head,with a beard..shouting..just isnt funny

To quote Joe Kinnear, that's ****ing libel that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

podge018 wrote: »
    I think Tommy Tiernan is hilarious.

Unless your goal in life is to be angry or sad or annoyed or downbeat, I think that puts me one up on anyone who doesn't like him. Gutted for you actually. I'm enjoying something and you're not. Hard luck.

Eh.....you're alright, don't worry about it. I've better things to be doing than watching some eejit shouting his head off. There's nothing funny about shouting provocative and controversial rantings just for the sake of being "mad". "I'm hilarious I am, I'm Tommy Tiernan, I'm the maddest baddest fella ever on the late late"

Stupidhead, you're not funny. And stupidheads who like him - ignorance of the masses fairly sums it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

podge018 wrote: »
    Gutted for you actually. I'm enjoying something and you're not. Hard luck.
    You think that people that don't find that idiot funny are missing out on something :rolleyes:

In life, yes!

There's a person trying to entertain the public and I find him funny. You don't. That's fair enough. But it's one up for me. I'm enjoying myself, you're not.

Yes that is true. I am not enjoying myself watching somebody who is not funny shouting like a lunatic. I am sorry for those of you who have no standards and find this kind of rubbish entertaining. Some day you might learn but doubtful.

Poor you

• Advertisement

That's the wrong attitude man. Surely you'ld rather he was funny so you could laugh at him? I think he is, bonus for me.

Absolutely! Of course I would rather he was funny.

Unfortunately he is not.

Why RTE pander to him and wheel him out so that he can promote his dvd is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

amdublin wrote: »
    Eh.....you're alright, don't worry about it. I've better things to be doing than watching some eejit shouting his head off. There's nothing funny about shouting provocative and controversial rantings just for the sake of being "mad". "I'm hilarious I am, I'm Tommy Tiernan, I'm the maddest baddest fella ever on the late late"

Stupidhead, you're not funny. And stupidheads who like him - ignorance of the masses fairly sums it up.

As a member of the public who is neither a stupid head nor ignorant (imo :p) I wish to say I enjoy Tommy Tiernan. I may not agree with the opinions in his ACT but I find his delivery of them funny.

I am surprised at this board that because one person enjoys something and another doesn't it is fitting to castigate the persons whose opinions differ to your own as stupidheads and ignoramuses.

Point taken Caros! But c'mon!!!!!! What is funny about "delivering" a story by shouting hysterically? He used to be quite good at starting reasonably calmly and building the story up, to eventually climaxing with a small amount of the hysterical shouting. But now he just seems to launch straight into the shouting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Is there a video up anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I watched Dylan Moran 'Like Totally' the other night, now thats comedy. As someone said previously Tiernan panders to Drunk Students & Farmers. He should be put down.

Dylan Moran is a genius. He's funny, and what it makes it funny is he doesn't give a **** if you think he's funny or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Here's my take - Tommy Tiernan is pushing cultural mores.

What in part made his Late Late appearance uncomfortable was the fact we (conciously or sub-conciously) have these racist sterotypes buired in our pysches and we rail in moral outrage against anything that exposes the fact we really aren't a fully equal society.

Tiernan is clearly not a racist and is one of the most intelligent entertainers in the world. Anyone who saw the Jokerman series a couple of years back will attest to the fact that Tiernan in regular life is a rather stoic and thoughful person.

He intended to provoke the reaction he has not as a shock jock way of selling more DVDs (he, after all, is the most sucessful Irish comedian in history and will sell huge amounts of DVDs and tickets here whatever he says) but to bare our own dirty secrets.

He feels more free to push the bounderies here because of his over-whelming sucess here. He'll be back on the Late Late next year, the year after that and so on. They need him more than he needs them.
    He doesn't have the same freedom when he's on The Late Show with David Letterman in the US as the environment is more opressive - something that is a complete turn around of the situation twenty years ago when we the great censors of the West.

Comedy can go no where unless someone pushes what can and can't be said. Bill Hicks was much the same in the early 90s as Tommy Tiernan is now and I fully believe Tiernan will attain a simliar status to Hicks in the coming years if he sticks to the comedic theory he has thus far.

In some cases it fell flat, but that's how comedians work - they try out material, judge responses and then tailor it to how they want their shows to be.

If there was no one like Tommy Tiernan pushing the unspoken bounderies of society then we'd all be poorer for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

amdublin wrote: »
    Absolutely! Of course I would rather he was funny.

Unfortunately he is not.

Why RTE pander to him and wheel him out so that he can promote his dvd is beyond me.
    Maybe because he is extremely popular, sells out all his shows, sells loads of dvds and is therefore very popular and there is a big audience that are very happy to watch him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Caros wrote: »
    I am surprised at this board that because one person enjoys something and another doesn't it is fitting to castigate the persons whose opinions differ to your own as stupidheads and ignoramuses.

Have to agree with you here Caros, very simple, if you like Tommy watch him, if you don't...turn him off. You have that choice!

But just because someone here doesn't like him doesn't make those who do "stupidheads". Honestly, some childish things are said on these boards.

Personally I like most of his stuff, but some stuff misses the mark..as with most comedians I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Syferus wrote: »
    Bill Hicks was much the same in the early 90s as Tommy Tiernan is now and I fully believe Tiernan will attain a simliar status to Hicks in the coming years...

That's where you crossed the line. Right there. Tiernan is clearly an intelligent man and has shown some great comedic talent in the past but he isn't that good, and certainly not lately.
    As others have said, his approach and his comedic execucian in shows has gone to the dogs. There really isn't that much to be contravercial about in this day and age and I think he can struggle a little bit in pointing out the foibles of modern society when they are already parodied everywhere.
    He sells well and there is no doubt he will continue to but Bill Hicks was revolutionary. The man truely didn't give a flying fuck. He was one of a kind in his wit and venomous hate of everything. I would never compare the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'm half repeating what others said earlier but Tiernan has been getting less and less funny over the past 3 or 4 years, his material is gone to the dogs.
    If he had the material of say Ed Byrne (unlikable chap with clever jokes) he'd be great again.

I'd also agree with the Dylan Moran fans, pure genius, when watching his DVD's I'd wish they were a couple of hours longer they are so enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Sandor wrote: »
    That's where you crossed the line. Right there. Tiernan is clearly an intelligent man and has shown some great comedic talent in the past but he isn't that good, and certainly not lately.
    As others have said, his approach and his comedic execucian in shows has gone to the dogs. There really isn't that much to be contravercial about in this day and age and I think he can struggle a little bit in pointing out the foibles of modern society when they are already parodied everywhere.
    He sells well and there is no doubt he will continue to but Bill Hicks was revolutionary. The man truely didn't give a flying fuck. He was one of a kind in his wit and venomous hate of everything. I would never compare the two.

I think most people are not appreicating Tiernan's current 'form' for what it is. He's aiming for something beyond simple wit or cheap jokes.

The title of his last tour and current DVD is 'Bovinity'. The notion of culturally scared cows comes to mind - he, as Hicks did, is pressing at the points at which society does not want people to be probing too deeply.

The very existence of this thread highlights his obvious point, that we are not as tolerant or morally sound on issues like ethnicity as we envisage ourselves to be.

These are the same bounderies Hicks pushed against - he was not 'revolutionary' per say - he just knew where to push things that little bit farther. If he was truly revolutionary you'd never have heard of him. Hicks got his position by looking at older comedians and seeing where they went with things and then developing something in the same basic style but with a different flavour.

Tiernan has done the very same thing over years, and the fact he has changed over the years (whether you like the style or not) is something to be commended. He certainly isn't going to be appearing in drag with Brendan O'Carrol anytime soon.

And like Hicks, Tiernan is a masterful storyteller, something which only can come across on long format shows or DVDs as it's lost in the seven minute interview bustle of places like The Late Late Show.

The other distorting factor is that we're seeing Tommy Tiernan tailored for Ireland - alot of the jokes on the last tour would not go over in America because of the unique cultural mores here. Something Mental, Tiernan's US-released DVD from earlier this year is a better barometer of Tiernan than the current Irish tour version, which is more of a homecoming in which he seems intent on making sure you're uncomfortably aware of some of his and our's unspoken failings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I disagree with much of what you say and I'll leave it at that. I'm not looking for serious debate on the subject. I was voicing my opinion, nothing more.
    For me Hicks is the pinnacle of social commentary. Tiernan is a very loud man who's good for a laugh or two.
    As for the very existence of this thread... have you seen some of the threads on boards? None of them amount to much of anything save that people get bored and talk about their hobbies or whatever old rubbish comes to mind or interests them. And I envisage the world to be inhabited by mostly ignorant and stupid people, but not in a mean sort of way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i agree with syferus , i do agree that's what he trying to do, but he could do it in more clever way.

hicks actually said what he wanted to get out rather then playing games.

• Advertisement

They still haven't put it up online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I thought it was very funny, am i going to hell?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I've just stayed up to watch the repeat. He wasn't great. They should probably just let him do 5 or 10 minutes of his routine rather than him trying to incorporate it into what wasn't much of an interview.

Most likely not his target audience either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

galwayrush wrote: »
    I thought it was very funny, am i going to hell?:rolleyes:

Tommy you probably are!:D

I think he was using the audience for his own amusement!?
    I always found his early stuff obvious, liked him overall though,
    If he is having a dig at Irelands tolerance levels with his new show, fair play to him, if that is what he was doing however, Gerry boy got on the wrong side of the joke :eek:

Syferus wrote: »
    I think most people are not appreicating Tiernan's current 'form' for what it is. He's aiming for something beyond simple wit or cheap jokes.

The title of his last tour and current DVD is 'Bovinity'. The notion of culturally scared cows comes to mind - he, as Hicks did, is pressing at the points at which society does not want people to be probing too deeply.

The very existence of this thread highlights his obvious point, that we are not as tolerant or morally sound on issues like ethnicity as we envisage ourselves to be.

These are the same bounderies Hicks pushed against - he was not 'revolutionary' per say - he just knew where to push things that little bit farther. If he was truly revolutionary you'd never have heard of him. Hicks got his position by looking at older comedians and seeing where they went with things and then developing something in the same basic style but with a different flavour.

Tiernan has done the very same thing over years, and the fact he has changed over the years (whether you like the style or not) is something to be commended. He certainly isn't going to be appearing in drag with Brendan O'Carrol anytime soon.

And like Hicks, Tiernan is a masterful storyteller, something which only can come across on long format shows or DVDs as it's lost in the seven minute interview bustle of places like The Late Late Show.

The other distorting factor is that we're seeing Tommy Tiernan tailored for Ireland - alot of the jokes on the last tour would not go over in America because of the unique cultural mores here. Something Mental, Tiernan's US-released DVD from earlier this year is a better barometer of Tiernan than the current Irish tour version, which is more of a homecoming in which he seems intent on making sure you're uncomfortably aware of some of his and our's unspoken failings.

Oh please no this can't be right? F*cking hell, comparing Tommy Tiernan to Bill Hicks? Talk about sacrilege. Hicks' social commentary cut through the insincerity of our society and remains relevant to this day. Tiernan screams and shouts crap and the seals clap their fins together and ask for another tasty salmon of knowledge. :rolleyes:

Hicks cut through the bullsh*t of the world, Tiernan spouts it.

The guy is overrated. People shove him on their Bebo pages and because they liked his appearance on Father Ted and can't remember any Irish comedians beyond the mid-nineties, they proclaim him the greatest Irish comic. Total bollocks tbh.
    I've just stayed up to watch the repeat. He wasn't great. They should probably just let him do 5 or 10 minutes of his routine rather than him trying to incorporate it into what wasn't much of an interview.

I saw that the last time he was on with Pat Kenny. It's manufactured tosh.

Pat: "But Tommy we Irish do love our religion..."

Tommy: "Huh ho, wait and I tell ya about this Pat..." (cue some story of Tommy watching a Nun trip and fall over or some sh*te.

Pat: "But Tommy we Irish do love a drink or two..."

Tommy: Huh ho, c'mere and I'll tell ya Pat...." (cue some story of one of Tommy's drunken friends trying to eat a slipper or some sh*te)

It's like watching a comedy quiz, and personally I wouldn't give him high marks for his efforts.

I saw that the last time he was on with Pat Kenny. It's manufactured tosh.

Pat: "But Tommy we Irish do love our religion..."

Tommy: "Huh ho, wait and I tell ya about this Pat..." (cue some story of Tommy watching a Nun trip and fall over or some sh*te.

Pat: "But Tommy we Irish do love a drink or two..."

Tommy: Huh ho, c'mere and I'll tell ya Pat...." (cue some story of one of Tommy's drunken friends trying to eat a slipper or some sh*te)

It's like watching a comedy quiz, and personally I wouldn't give him high marks for his efforts.

In fairness that is standard fare for pretty much every comedian going on every talk show, its usually all decided pre show what will be talked about and in what direction the conversation will go EVEN on Jonny Woss and thats not live
    Wouldnt be much good if it wasnt:
    Media people go on to talk about new show
    Actors about new film
    Writers about new book
    Comics to do bits from their act wrapped as conversation
    as light entertainment
    and push the odd DVD/tour

It probably why chat shows are dying on their ar*e, its always the same auld same auld, friday night half asleep on couch popcorn telly

have i told an icckle secret?:p

Right, I'm just finished watching that Bovinity. Few funny moments, but nothing like his earlier stuff.

elshambo wrote: »
    In fairness that is standard fare for pretty much every comedian going on every talk show, its usually all decided pre show what will be talked about and in what direction the conversation will go EVEN on Jonny Woss and thats not live
    Wouldnt be much good if it wasnt:
    Media people go on to talk about new show
    Actors about new film
    Writers about new book
    Comics to do bits from their act wrapped as conversation
    as light entertainment
    and push the odd DVD/tour

It probably why chat shows are dying on their ar*e, its always the same auld same auld, friday night half asleep on couch popcorn telly

have i told an icckle secret?:p

I think it's pretty obvious that certain shows apply this technique but it's easy to spot which ones are going for routine-material and which ones are going over general areas.

If a comedian is going on to plug a gig, book, show etc. then fine and the host and the comedian will no doubt discuss before the show what will be touched upon but for me, to actually pre-plan areas of discussion to set up routine material is so formulaic and crap.

A good comedian can incorporate stuff in himself without having some plank like Kenny or Ryan to 'tee him up'.

Well generally it will look that way because the non-plank is better at teeing up the stuff than Gerry/Pat
    Esp on American shows, a lot of the presenters are ex comedians so its easy for them to work the stuff in and make it look like natural conversation

Very rare that this doesnt happen on any chat show these days:(

out of poker tourni. bed!:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

any chance of anyone posting a video up of his ramblings on the late late?

Cabaal wrote: »
    any chance of anyone posting a video up of his ramblings on the late late?

Can't find anything on youtube but they do upload the entire show to here after a few days: http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/

Still not up yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

the review in the tribune about the late late was spot on.

His new dvd has a nasty part in the middle,goes on about polish girl working in xtravision and how he says to her that unless he gets an account open he will put her on the truck back and you know they dont check them on the way back.

Thats not only rascist its just not f##king funny.

Worse again the crowd lap it up and a big cheer goes up during this segment.

Give me Chris Rock,Dylan Moran,bill Bailey anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

Why the fcuk is gerry ryan picking his arse?

That's his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

raven136 wrote: »

His new dvd has a nasty part in the middle,goes on about polish girl working in xtravision and how he says to her that unless he gets an account open he will put her on the truck back and you know they dont check them on the way back.

I am nearly tempted to buy/rent Banality or whatever the DVD is called to see if it really is this bad/ pointless.

However, I do feel proud that I failed to rate Tiernan before it became cool to hate on him :) As said I havent seen enough to hate him, but Ive seen enough to say "meh, cant be arsed watching the rest of this". His comedy isnt in your face 100% you can tell within 3 mins the comedian is talentless, such as when you watch Lee Evans or Sarah Silverman (worth a ride, but her comedy, like......come on)

I have, however, seen three clips that from listening to people seem to be the 3 main fan favourites

Cork folk are like travellers talking French

"Sure he wouldnt be your father if he didnt bate ya"

"Do ya like rape" (or something similiar)

tbh all of the above 3 were nothing more than pointless go nowhere shouting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Give me Chris Rock,Dylan Moran,bill Bailey anytime.

It not particularily funny, tasteless even, but if you think thats racist you need to get out more.

What is more funny is the Sunday World using quotes from this thread as a barometer for the moral outrage of Ireland. :rolleyes:

Even if I don't think he is a great comedian, I would still defend his right to be not very funny, from the faux-outraged PC rent-a-mob that show up after his every TV appearance.

• Advertisement

Interview is now up on the RTE website - http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/

Meh, so so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Now I, like a lot of people, hate Tiernan but that's definitely worth a snigger.
    shane86 wrote: »
    I have, however, seen three clips that from listening to people seem to be the 3 main fan favourites

Cork folk are like travellers talking French

"Sure he wouldnt be your father if he didnt bate ya"

"Do ya like rape" (or something similiar)

tbh all of the above 3 were nothing more than pointless go nowhere shouting.

Twas a story about being on a plane and roaring out "DID YA EVER RAPE SOMEONE?". All very meh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I cant understand why tiernan hasnt had his hat kicked into his head by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

They're queuing up to have him eviscerated on Liveline now.

Must be feeling left out of the Brand/Ross debacle...

[edit] Tiernan himself now on the line defending his corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

SteveC wrote: »
    I'm watching Bill Bailey on C4 - much better

+1

I don't really care what jokes Tommy does any more. He's not managed to crack a smile from me since he was in Father Ted. His jokes sound like he writes them whilst on the bus to his interview.

And comparing that eejit to Bill Hicks... :confused: WTF?

• Advertisement
Advertisement