Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Trapattoni drop Keave so that Stephen Ireland will come back?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

i thought it was Hunt that was bullying him?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

i thought it was Hunt that was bullying him?:confused:

I'd heard it was Dunne myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

adox wrote: »
    Hes turning into a fantastic player, which makes it all the more sad that he isnt representing his country, but one man doesnt make a team( with the exception of Maradona:D) and should be treated no different than the rest.

I disagree, Stephen is probably our only player who you could argue is world class, and he is improving all the time. Bar Given and Dunne, we have extremely poor players. We need to do everything we can to bring Stephen back to the fold. If this means getting rid of Keane who has been underperforming for quite a few years for Ireland now, then so be it. While Keane still scores the odd goal, he hasn't played well for Ireland for a good few years now and doesn't justify being selected on his reputation and club form.

Irish fans need to wake up and smell the coffee, this Irish team is extremely weak and goals are going to be very hard to come by, especially when we start coming up against good opposition. Stephen is great at finding killer passes to set up stirkers and also scores a fair bit himself. It's a no brainer, but if you lot want to bury your head in the sand and think we are going to qualify as things are then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Have you got a link to anything that suggests that Keane was the one bullying Ireland ? I remember reading an interview with Martin Jol which said that he was great in the dressing room and really unified the squad.

I seriously doubt he would be captain or Ireland and previous vice captain of Spurs if he was in any way a disruptive force.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I disagree, Stephen is probably our only player who you could argue is world class, and he is improving all the time. Bar Given and Dunne, we have extremely poor players. We need to do everything we can to bring Stephen back to the fold. If this means getting rid of Keane who has been underperforming for quite a few years for Ireland now, then so be it. While Keane still scores the odd goal, he hasn't played well for Ireland for a good few years now and doesn't justify being selected on his reputation and club form.

Irish fans need to wake up and smell the coffee, this Irish team is extremely weak and goals are going to be very hard to come by, especially when we start coming up against good opposition. Stephen is great at finding killer passes to set up stirkers and also scores a fair bit himself. It's a no brainer, but if you lot want to bury your head in the sand and think we are going to qualify as things are then so be it.

So after Stephen plays his killer passes which one of our marvellous strikers will finish them off, seen as Keane has been dropped to let a cry-baby play ball?

I love the way that you say Irish fans need to wake up and smell the coffee, when any actual fans realise it's the team you support not the spoiled brat that is refusing to play for it.

Shooo away with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Stephen Ireland shouldn't be allowed play for us even if he begged to be back in the squad to be honest.

Who is this little fu*k to turn down playing for his country? Fu*k him I say, hope he never comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Whats your problem with people slagging him off? There's no doubting his ability as a footballer that's not the problem. It's his attitude that is, and as trivial as it is i think his car sums it up perfectly.

His attitude is that he doesn't want to play international football to further his club career. You can't say that hasn't happened so in that regard he has made a professional decision.
    [Jackass] wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland shouldn't be allowed play for us even if he begged to be back in the squad to be honest.

Who is this little fu*k to turn down playing for his country? Fu*k him I say, hope he never comes back.

Yeah how dare he. And how dare Roy Keane. And Steve Carr. And Andy O'Brien. And Steve Finnan (now back in the sqaud btw). And how dare Paul Scholes. And how dare Jamie Carragher.

Believe it or not, international football doesn't mean anything to a lot of people, fans included (check the recent club v country thread in this very forum).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I didn't think Roy Keabe should have been asked to play for Ireland again, and I don't think Stephen Ireland should be either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

id love to see ireland playing for ireland,he has really stopped acting the bollocks and knuckled down at city,would love to see that form for the national team. id imagine if he did return,he wouldnt receive any slack from another player, but if he doesnt want to put on the shirt then thats his choice, nobody in their right mind would drop keane for em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

this thread is pointless on so many levels but just so you know it was not robbie keane that was bullying him it was that useless ginger **** paul mcshane!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

redzerdrog wrote: »
    useless ginger **** paul mcshane!!!!
    Man of the match in his last game at centre half. Sorry for replying. Still drunk. :) Seriously though, McShane overall has been a very good centre half for us. Trap probably didn't see much of him at club level but no surprise he was impressed with what he saw of McShane in his previous games for Ireland. Again, apologies for replying to a bit of sarcasm. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Xavi6 wrote: »

Yeah how dare he. And how dare Roy Keane. And Steve Carr. And Andy O'Brien. And Steve Finnan (now back in the sqaud btw). And how dare Paul Scholes. And how dare Jamie Carragher.

To be fair all of the above had at least given a few years service to their countries. I dont think its comparing like for like. Maybe Duncan Ferguson would be a more appropriate comparison.

adox wrote: »
    To be fair all of the above had at least given a few years service to their countries. I dont think its comparing like for like. Maybe Duncan Ferguson would be a more appropriate comparison.

It is comparing like with like. All the players mentioned wouldn't play international football because of the other people on the scene, whether it was players or managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

there have been some funny and some stupid posts in this thread, which is a pointless exercise in rhetorical questioning, the answer is obvious to anyone with half a brain in fairness

and now onto one of the funnier points for me, since when is Stephen Ireland a world class player? why is he considered world class already? sure he is showing signs of becoming a very good player, but world class? delusions of grandeur springs to mind

Dunne is top class, Given is possibly our closest player to world class i would have thought, steven reid when fit is very good, doyle when in form is an excellent player...

because someone had a good season last year or shows signs of ability doesnt make them more important then a country, bringing him back at the expense of any player would be wrong, it sends out the wrong message and its a moot point because who knows who it is (if anyone) that theres an issue with

why are some people **** about Mr. Ireland? he lied to get out of playing for his country, im sure most would condemn any player who did that, not just the oh gaffer i have a thigh strain lie, the my grandmother is dead lie, it gives a good insight into the mind of the guy imo

he has been asked to come back, he said no, end of story. you would swear the guy was actually of the same skill level or importance to a team as Maradona in his prime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the first Issue to note is that this whole scenario happened under Stan's watch. IF the allegations of bullying were true (note the big IF) Stan should almost certainly have taken some kind of action against the offending players. the whole thing was a farce, both from ireland's point of view and the FAI's.

However, i don't think this burden should be placed on Trappa, he simply has to pick the best players available, and he can't really afford to not play Keane what with him being our best player still if we really are serious about wanting to qualify. by the sounds of it it's going to take a lot of effort and changes to bring Ireland back into the fold now, not really worth for just one player. Trappa would be best just to keep on winning, and then perhaps Ireland will want to come back when he realizes a tournamennt might be on the cards. or maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I hope its not that car as that was done to raise awarness for breast cancer so anybody who slags him over it is a bit of a c-unit tbh.

Obviously didn't go a great job as I or many others on here didn't know about it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It is comparing like with like. All the players mentioned wouldn't play international football because of the other people on the scene, whether it was players or managers.

thats just not true, finnan, scholes and carragher all felt there were getting on too much to cope with the international games on top of club games, they gave up to extend their careers.

Not true. Carragher wasn't getting a look in with the the management and Scholes was being played out position. Neither liked it so left.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland is a legend and Robbie Keane is a waster. Trapa if given the option should definitly drop Keane and bring in Ireland without a seconds thought.

Such a silly comment.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    the car was done is support of breast cancer research?

where you hear that?

seems people like to defend Ireland no matter how much of a clown he acts.

His bebo was probably to raise aids awareness yea?

maybe he refused to play underage for ireland in order to raise money for meningitis?

maybe the superman pants were to raise awareness for testicular cancer?

perhaps dead granny number 1 was to raise awareness for parkinsons disease and dead granny number 2 was to raise money for alzheimers?

the guy is a tool, plain and simple, he does not want to play for Ireland, none of us know the reasons why, all we can gather from his behaviour in the public eye is that he is a tool of the highest order.

Speculating its to do with Keane is nonsense, Keane is the captain of the team (rightly or wrongly) and has never really had a rep as anything other than a good professional.

Irelands own team mate (Dunne) has said he has no clue wat is going through Irelands head not wanting to represent his country and there is nothing that'll be done to persuade him to come back.

Leave him be over in Manchester.

You didn't disapoint Al hahahha :) .

There are some seriously stupid posts in this thread.

Look.....no one really knows why Stephen Ireland doesn't want to represent his country except for Stephen Ireland. I am a Liverpool fan and a Robbie Keane critic. I do however respect the guy because he would run all day for you on a pitch. He's our captain and our top goal scorer of all time. Replace him for a player that is playing **** hot at the moment but can't be arsed to play for his country? Fuk off tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If based solely on current form then it is a no brainer. Ireland back in, Keane out. Keane is brutal for Ireland at the best of times and Captain ? Give Dunne the armband drop Keane, tell him to pay closer attention to Torres and see if he can remember how to put the ball in the net.

The end of the day everyone is rated by their performances on the pitch and captain's should not be held in a different regard. Doyle is a capable player that could replace Keane. Stephen Ireland will give any team a different dimension and the form he is in at the moment is exceptional. Hughes has even stated he is their best player this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

redout wrote: »
    Give Dunne the armband drop Keane
    Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

SectionF wrote: »
    Spot on.

+1 (but I would say that!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Should he? No.

Will he? No.

Should these threads keep happening? No

He has retired from international football. No interest and will never return. Deal with it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Believe it or not, international football doesn't mean anything to a lot of people, fans included (check the recent club v country thread in this very forum).

Exactly how dare he!! And your examples are different, most of those players retired after serving their country (and came back when asked in the case of Carr and Finnan - if they didn't then we shouldn't want them) As for Roy Keane (and let's not go there) we all know there were extreme circumstances and arguably a moral stance and he did come back when certain people were removed. But I think after the service he gave to his country we aren't in a position to complain.

Ireland is a g0bsh*te. If he wants to act like a child and also turn down his country then good luck to him. But I certainly hope he is never given the oppertunity - and honour - to wear the jersey again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

firstly noone serves their country playing football, even if they scored against england, theyre just footballers. moral stance (seriuosly). ireland seems, to be generous, a bit immature. i would try get him back because, in fairness we dont have a lot of quality players. drop keane, i would, just to give a kick up the arse. as for all the vitriol directed at ireland, you all must know him very well, what you think of him has nothing to do with football and we are talking about football.

Advertisement