Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Springer Spaniel jumping

• 25-10-2008 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

We recently got a 2 year old springer female from the local rescue. She is a lovely friendly little thing, but I'm convinced she's completely dense. :D She doesnt learn from anything!

I'd say its because she has never been properly trained, but I am finding it impossible to stop her from jumping up. Nothing works!

Anybody have any tips on training her please!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jumping on you and visitors or jumping over fences?.

How long do you have her?.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

Mairt wrote: »
    Jumping on you and visitors or jumping over fences?.

How long do you have her?.

Jumping up on people. It's impossible to keep her on 4 legs!

We've had her for around 2 months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

We have a springer spaniel too. Got him from the pound at 9 months and he's now 18 months old.

We have trained him to do lots of things but the one thing that we can't stop is him jumping up on people. We have given up at this stage. (TBH - we didn't really try hard enough!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

Nobody got any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

The only way to do this is when he jumps, turn your back, pull your hands up & withdraw all interaction until he is sitting, lieing, or standing on all 4 paws.
    Even walk a few steps away or into another room until he clams down if necessary.

When he does this, reward him with a little play or treats.

At least thats the theory, haven't fully practised it on our pup - though we don't mind him jumping a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

i have a 4 yr old springer since he was a puppy and i had the same prob. no one was out of bounds which could be embarassing esp if people had good clothes on!!
    about 2 years ago i read a book by jan fennell, she used to have a proramme called the dog listener on bbc/itv a few years ago. she recommended ignoring the dog when you first walk in the door every eve no matter what. you only greet him a few mins later when he settles down a bit. i must admit i found this very hard.. thought it was a bit cruel not being able to say hello or rubbing him but i tried it and it kinda worked... he not inclined to jump up on people half as much.
    dont know if its a springer thing or just my fella is spoilt but for the first few days when i was ignoring him he used to try and get my attention by running round the house with slippers/shoes/anything!!! he used never do that and thankfully after a week or two he stopped..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have two springers and the rule in our house is, no attention until they sit. As soon as they sit, they get attention. We have the sitting rule for everything. If they're being offered a treat they sit, if they're having their leads put on they sit. To get off the lead they sit. To get out a door they sit. It works pretty well.

We started off by showing them a treat and giving it to them once they would sit. Before long they started to sit for everything, even things we wouldn't have taught them to sit for.:)

We also have a rule that when people come in all the humans visibly greet each other first. That way they sit and wait for their turn. We decided on this rule as we knew when we got the dogs that we would be starting a family in their lifetime and we wanted them to be used to sitting and waiting if we were coming in the door with a baby in a car seat, or something similar.

Advertisement