Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish BB Increased Speed ?

Options
  • 25-10-2008 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Im on a 2mb DSL with Irish BB, anyway in the last few weeks I have been getting download speeds of 310 kbps approx max, compared to 215 before... Anyone have the same thing happening ? I've checked, and im on the same package. Im not complaining, Just curious :p

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eircom upgraded their packages so seeing as ibb resell eircom you get the upgrade as well. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

I was thinking it had something to do with Eircoms new 'Up to 3mb' thing. Great. and Unlimited cap to boot :)

By the way, If im on a 3mb connection now, Is 310kbps a good max speed for 3mb ? I know with the contention ratio and all that I wont get the full 3mb's. While im here :

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 26.00 9.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 33.00 18.00 dB

Are they good values for future upgrading ? From what ive read they are good except for the SNR Upload.

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You can get more than 3Mbps on that line, not sure exactly how much. I think there are sites out there that can estimate the speed based on attenuation. Google might be able to help.

• Advertisement

Well my SNR downstream is 30Db now, Yay :) After messing with some cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Well my SNR downstream is 30Db now, Yay :) After messing with some cables.

Yep. Try keep your Telephone cable as short as possible.
    Don't run your ADSL modem on the end of a 20m telephone extension cable. Rather put your ADSL modem right at the wall socket, and run a 20m Ethernet cable.
    That'll keep your line attenuation down, which will increase your SNR.

That's exactly what I have, Like a 15m telephone wire from my wall to the router :P

Advertisement