Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who was Quigley.

Options
  • 25-10-2008 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Just a quickie question here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Would this have anything to do with Quigley's Point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Micky Quigley was my next door neigbour and i think i had a Ms Quigley teach me in primary school, any help:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

smashey wrote: »
    Would this have anything to do with Quigley's Point?

Yes, it did. and now that you,ve guessed, then who was Quigley?.

Senna wrote: »
    Micky Quigley was my next door neigbour and i think i had a Ms Quigley teach me in primary school, any help:D:D

I knew a Mickey Quigley as well, Mickey Fish as he is better known , his da had a fish shop in william street in derry.

As an add on , I remember saying to mickey one day that he was nothing but an ould cod, he did,nt take the joke too well. Mickey fish:ould cod ,get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

jonnygee wrote: »
    As an add on , I remember saying to mickey one day that he was nothing but an ould cod, he did,nt take the joke too well. Mickey fish:ould cod ,get it.

What a whale of joke but i am not sure if this is the right Plaice for it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We may have to rely on our learned friends from Inishowen to get to the bottom of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I don't have a clue but, as with a lot of local placenames, if it was named after a person, it may not have been anyone of great historical interest or prominence. It could just as easily be someone who fished there, stopped there with a boat or lived at the junction. The name of the townland of Carrickmaquigley at Redcastle might be related. As you know, the name Quigley is not uncommon in Derry/Donegal.

On the other hand, the Irish version, now spelled Rinn Uí Choigligh, might have evolved from something with a completely different meaning.

The Ordnance Survey came along and called the village Carrowkeel (from the townland) and on their maps Quigley's Point is just the coastal feature. Of course nobody paid them much heed (and rightfully so:P) and everyone still calls the village Quigley's Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Quigley is a barber in Donegal Town :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Ok, I have a freind whos very interested in local history, and as he lives in the area i thought i would ask him.
    He reckons that there was a shooting competition held a long time ago in the area and the winner of the competition was to have the point named after them, a local by the name of quigley won ergo its known as Quigleys Point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement