Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland National Anthem

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Camelot wrote: »
    Lucky for you that you finished off that rant with a questionmark - otherwise you would be heading for the Tower :) by the way, its only some Scots who boo their own Anthem (probably some Celtic numbsculls)?

What makes you think it's Celtic fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Of what?

I fail to see how or why the future of the queen is of any concern to the Irish in the south.
    I fail to see how a possible national anthem for N.I. is of any concern to the English in Ireland. ;)

*Or the Irish in France:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

its only some Scots who boo their own Anthem (probably some Celtic numbsculls)?

Scottish teams nowadays tend to play Flower of Scotland before their matches but until the 1980s it was always God Save the Queen, at rugby matches anyway.

One of my abiding memories from my youth was that GTSQ when played in Murrayfield was always accompanied by mass whistling. Clearly the good rugger buggers of Scotland were less than pleased.

I know there are some Bhoys who also take an interest in rugby but for the most part in Scotland it is supported by toney Edinburgh public school boys and solid puritanical presbyterians from the Border region.

As for the words of the Irish National Anthem, here is the Soldier's Song version. The appended notes are mine

Soldiers are we
    Whose lives are pledged to Ireland.
    Some have come
    from a land beyond the wave
    Clear constitutional imperative for the Granny Rule there
    Sworn to be free,
    No more our ancient sireland
    All nations do things we should be ashamed of so I would just like to apologise to the rest of the English speaking world for that God awful neologism but how else could you get something to rhyme with Ireland?
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave
    Tonight we man the bearna baoil
    ie 'gap of danger'
    In Ireland's cause come woe or weal
    Amid cannon's roar and rifle's peal
    We will sing you a soldier's song
    Yaaayy!!! Whoo hoooo. 'Mon Ireland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Mad Finn wrote: »
    Scottish teams nowadays tend to play Flower of Scotland before their matches but until the 1980s it was always God Save the Queen, at rugby matches anyway.

One of my abiding memories from my youth was that GTSQ when played in Murrayfield was always accompanied by mass whistling. Clearly the good rugger buggers of Scotland were less than pleased.

I know there are some Bhoys who also take an interest in rugby but for the most part in Scotland it is supported by toney Edinburgh public school boys and solid puritanical presbyterians from the Border region.

As for the words of the Irish National Anthem, here is the Soldier's Song version. The appended notes are mine

Soldiers are we
    Whose lives are pledged to Ireland.
    Some have come
    from a land beyond the wave
    Clear constitutional imperative for the Granny Rule there
    Sworn to be free,
    No more our ancient sireland
    All nations do things we should be ashamed of so I would just like to apologise to the rest of the English speaking world for that God awful neologism but how else could you get something to rhyme with Ireland?
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave
    Tonight we man the bearna baoil
    ie 'gap of danger'
    In Ireland's cause come woe or weal
    Amid cannon's roar and rifle's peal
    We will sing you a soldier's song
    Yaaayy!!! Whoo hoooo. 'Mon Ireland!!
    Hilarious. :rolleyes:
    You'd have us adopt a more submissive, we deserve to be under the jackboot of our imperial masters type song then?

The Irish anthem is a reflection of our struggle to gain independence which has dominated the political landscape for hundreds of years and so is wholly appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What makes you think it's Celtic fans?

I dunno Allah Hu Akbar, but I just thought it might be Celtic fans booing GSTQ seeing that many Celtic fans wave Irish Tricolours > but serioulsy, I reall didnt know about the Scots booing GSTQ until now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

rangers fans sing gstq, which is ridiculous imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I dunno Allah Hu Akbar, but I just thought it might be Celtic fans booing GSTQ seeing that many Celtic fans wave Irish Tricolours > but serioulsy, I reall didnt know about the Scots booing GSTQ until now.

Aw bless ya. Completely oblivious to the HUGE movement in Scotland for independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No not at all oblivious to the Scottish independance movement, but not living in Sctoland I really didnt know that it had spread to the extent that they actually boo their own Anthem & their own Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

You'd have us adopt a more submissive, we deserve to be under the jackboot of our imperial masters type song then?

The Irish anthem is a reflection of our struggle to gain independence which has dominated the political landscape for hundreds of years and so is wholly appropriate.

Yeah god forbid anyone would ever mock our sacred national anthem :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No not at all oblivious to the Scottish independance movement, but not living in Sctoland I really didnt know that it had spread to the extent that they actually boo their own Anthem & their own Queen.

Their anthem? I could have sworn it was the Queen's anthem. Where does it mention Scotland? Or anything Scotland have accomplished, or the struggles Scotland has faced?

And maybe the next time, you'll take it into consideration before you go off and insult Celtic fans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

I don't know how you could infer that from my post. Personally I prefer the Irish version, even though it doesn't rhyme and the English one does.

And musically, it's not great, few anthems are indeed, but the crescendo at the end is great at the start of a match.

No offence intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

I can't believe nobodies mentioned Ghost Town yet!
    If the demographics keep going the way they are personnally I'd like "Take it Down from the Mast" to be the NI anthem as it does the job of offending deeply not only the all the British but also the majority people from the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Actually England has no anthem either. 'Land of Hope and Glory' and 'Jerusalem' are considered unofficial anthems, but GSTQ is all that's played at England games too.

GSTQ's been used all over the place; it was also used as the first German anthem, the Swedes still use it as a royal patriotic song and it is the melody of the anthem of Liechtenstein.

Damned ugly tune though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

RDM_83 wrote: »
    I can't believe nobodies mentioned Ghost Town yet!
    If the demographics keep going the way they are personnally I'd like "Take it Down from the Mast" to be the NI anthem as it does the job of offending deeply not only the all the British but also the majority people from the Republic.

What way are the demographics going? Doesnt seem to much much change really. Hard to find accurate data on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

dlofnep wrote: »
    Please demonstrate even one inaccuracy with what I said, instead of rolling your eyes pretending to make a point. Everything I said was factually accurate.

Out of curiosity Fred - Where are you from? I don't believe I've asked you before.

I don't deny what you said is inaccurate, but the British monarchy costs the Irish nothing in taxes, north or south so why get upset about her. When the British people decide they have had enough of the monarchy, then it will go. there are many constitutional faults with the monarchy, the ban on them marrying Catholics for example, but when these faults become an issue they are addressed in an appropriate manner.

As for where I am from, the clue is in the name;)

Hagar wrote: »
    I fail to see how a possible national anthem for N.I. is of any concern to the English in Ireland. ;)

*Or the Irish in France:D

trust me, it is about as important to me as knowing the latest style in manbags:D

For someone who keeps crapping on about how your such an English nationalist you certainly seem to be taking the default Unionist position on everything. :confused:

Am I a nationalist? I'm not sure if i am to be honest. The trouble with being classed as an English nationalist is that it has been hijacked by goose stepping scumbags.

Nationalism is great and I am all for it, inside a sporting stadium. Then afterwards I would love to meet nationalists from other nations for a pint or three.

Where nationalism goes horribly wrong in my opinion, is that it quite often gets confused for not respecting others rights to be nationalists.

at the end of the day though, there are more important things to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As for what I am, the clue is in the name;)
    Fixed that for you, Fred. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

<sick joke>
    I know! 2 minutes to midnight as "Ulster's" anthem!:pac:
    </sick joke>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How about giving the woeful 'Ireland's Call' to Northern Ireland as a National Anthem and then it wouldn't be inflicted on us anymore at Rugby matches?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

How about giving the woeful 'Ireland's Call' to Northern Ireland as a National Anthem and then it wouldn't be inflicted on us anymore at Rugby matches?:D
    I'd nearly agree with you but it leaves a scenario open where me might have to listen to it again...

I'd rather have a boil on the crack of my arse than listen to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

It isnae our anthem. It is a music hall ditty for a Hanoverian monarchy that has a verse that asks to crush rebellious Scots.
    Believe it or not we are a separate nation with our own Laws, Church and Education system and the booing of GSTQ goes across sectarian boundaries. We all do it, well all of us who consider ourselves Scottish. Unfortunately, many of my friends whose great great grandparents came over from Ireland, still wave tricolours. Other friends whose grandparents came over from Pakistan wave saltires. Makes ya wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,203 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

drakshug wrote: »
    Makes ya wonder?

Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

But whats the Story with the Scots booing GSTQ? does that really happen?
    Oh yes. I've had the, um, privilege, yes, that'll do, of seeing Scottish people start a rousing chorus of "God **** the Queen" before a rugby match
    There's about 50 verses to GSTQ, that is about verse 3 I think. One which is not and as fars as I am aware, has never been, used.
    It's never been used since it became the national anthem by custom from around 1780 onward. Went through a bit of vogue around 1750 when the verse was written as the Scottish were acting up at the time.

The standard version has three verses, the anti-Scottish verse would be the unofficial fourth (one of the unofficial fourths but there aren't anywhere near 50)

As you probably all know, at the COmmonwealth Games, when England wins a medal they now play Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance march no 1, when NI win one they play the (London)Derry Air/Danny Boy (Danny Boy is of course the proper name of the piece only when sung with lyrics but then the tune of GSTQ is also far older than the lyrics and is also the national anthem of Liechtenstein).

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Why not get that wonderfully talented songwriter (Irelands answer to Verdi) Richie Kavanagh to pen something appropriate?

Advertisement