Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build Problem

Options
  • 25-10-2008 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm building a pc for the first time.
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard, OCZ RAM, AMD Phenom X4 9850
    I have a new samsung hard drive and an old one from my previous pc, both are connected via sata cables

I get through the bios setup okay, can't seem to make the new drive the master though. I find that whole area difficult to understand to be honest.

I think the problem arises because the os of my old pc was xp and now I'm trying to install vista.
    I was hoping to carry files over on the older hard drive so as not to have to reload up everything.

Anyway my problem is I can't seem to load vista. It keeps asking me to insert the system boot disk even though I have the vista disk in the dvd drive and it's setup to boot from the dvd drive.

Do I need to do anything to the new hard drive before booting up and if so how.
    Thanks for all suggestions and comments, I'm a complete beginner to this area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

matc66 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm building a pc for the first time.
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard, OCZ RAM, AMD Phenom X4 9850
    I have a new samsung hard drive and an old one from my previous pc, both are connected via sata cables

I get through the bios setup okay, can't seem to make the new drive the master though. I find that whole area difficult to understand to be honest.

I think the problem arises because the os of my old pc was xp and now I'm trying to install vista.
    I was hoping to carry files over on the older hard drive so as not to have to reload up everything.

Anyway my problem is I can't seem to load vista. It keeps asking me to insert the system boot disk even though I have the vista disk in the dvd drive and it's setup to boot from the dvd drive.

Do I need to do anything to the new hard drive before booting up and if so how.
    Thanks for all suggestions and comments, I'm a complete beginner to this area.

Remove the old hard drive for the moment: this cuts down trouble shooting by 50%.....
    (you can add this back in later and pull filess off it, windows will auto detect it on boot)

What settings are your sata drives set to?

Is the dvd drive a sata or an IDE drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Optical drive is ide.
    I have unplugged the old drive already. It still says boot disk problem, insert system disk.
    I'm wondering if it means I need a driver to boot to a brand new HDD which is essentially what I am doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Sounds like it's not finding the optical drive on the IDE.

Have you power to both optical and HHD? Are there 2 or 3 connections on your IDE cable?

Try putting the jumpers on the optical to master, and then try the optical on both end connections of the cable in turn (if it has 3 connections).

You don't need a "driver" to boot the new HHD; when Vista boots on the optical, it should be able to find the HHD and install on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

As is often the case with these things, stay long enough at it and the problem reveals itself.
    I was trying to boot with vista and for the hell tried a xp disk instead and it started to boot no problem so I just burnt and different vista disk and it worked!

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement