Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Experience Beta Program

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

It was closed before I got a chance to register. Fairly gutted when I found out because I'd been all over majornelson.com... Enjoy it guys!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Got in too... :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'll live, enjoy it anyway feckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Just saw this post oh well. But still all you lab rats might end up with bricked 360's if it all goes wrong. lol Only joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I know it will be hard to pull yourselves (he he he he) away from it but will someone give us a decent review of it when you get it. Pretty please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just got an email.... Looks like we'll have it in the next 2 hours. :)
    The Xbox 360 Fall Flash update will be available to you by 8pm PST on October 30th (11pm EST on October 30th, 3am GMT on October 31st).

While exploring the New Xbox Experience (NXE), you may come across bugs or have some suggestions. Please share those with us by going to Microsoft Connect and clicking on the Feedback link.

If you would like to post comments regarding your experiences with the New Xbox Experience, or interact with other preview participants please use the Newsgroups link on the connect site. Although we are monitoring the newsgroups, all bugs and suggestions should be filed using the Feedback link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Yep

If you got in on the NXE Preview program, you may want to sign in to LIVE in a few hours ;) about 1 hour ago from web (Major Nelson)

Yep... I'll be having a tinker with it before I go to work in the morn. Altough, knowing my luck I'll still be awake at 3am ;-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

Mr E wrote: »
    Just got an email.... Looks like we'll have it in the next 2 hours. :)

u beat me to it, not long now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Sweet. Was going on soon anyway.

• Advertisement

just after gettin the update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

All NXE previewers. all that got in..sign in at 3am tonight ;)

Its downloading right now. :D

Wha? I didn't get mine yet

me neither

My console was off and when I saw someone post on Major Nelson I turned it on and updated straight away.

still nothing :(

This blows

anything yet shane?

just after installing fifa 09 onto my hdd, 6gb in 9 mins not bad

• Advertisement

nope

I just got it there, it signs you out so you know when it's ready

as in your using your console and it signed you out?

Got the update. thanks for keeping me company Shane :P
    i think i was the last in Ireland to get it :)

OK installed.... Review? Slick as hell, and blows the s**t out of the blades.

It does a 30 second download on the old interface, restarts and does a longer download which took about 7 minutes. A very nice intro video plays and it jumps straight into avatar creation. Avatars look better than Miis, but I'm not sure if the avatar creation process is more powerful than the Mii process - you have a whole bunch of pre-canned eyes, hairstyles, eyebrows etc. but you can't tweak them (you can't rotate things or make them bigger/smaller). Clothes selection is pretty weak too (a few pages of selections). This selection will increase exponentially over time, I'm sure.

I won't go through all the options in too much detail (just look at any of the preview videos that most game sites are running this week), but there are 7 screens that are the equivalent of the blades from the old interface, accessed by moving up and down, and several subscreens on each, accessed by moving left and right. After a couple of minutes looking around, you'll see where everything is.

One thing thats really slick is the game info screens. When you pick a game, you can quickly browse through everything to do with that game by moving left and right (achievements, downloads, info, leaderboards etc.)

I'll play about some more over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mr E wrote: »
    OK installed.... Review? Slick as hell, and blows the s**t out of the blades.

It does a 30 second download on the old interface, restarts and does a longer download which took about 7 minutes. A very nice intro video plays and it jumps straight into avatar creation. Avatars look better than Miis, but I'm not sure if the avatar creation process is more powerful than the Mii process - you have a whole bunch of pre-canned eyes, hairstyles, eyebrows etc. but you can't tweak them (you can't rotate things or make them bigger/smaller). Clothes selection is pretty weak too (a few pages of selections). This selection will increase exponentially over time, I'm sure.

I won't go through all the options in too much detail (just look at any of the preview videos that most game sites are running this week), but there are 7 screens that are the equivalent of the blades from the old interface, accessed by moving up and down, and several subscreens on each, accessed by moving left and right. After a couple of minutes looking around, you'll see where everything is.

One thing thats really slick is the game info screens. When you pick a game, you can quickly browse through everything to do with that game by moving left and right (achievements, downloads, info, leaderboards etc.)

I'll play about some more over the weekend.

Look at you showing off with your gamerpic.... My god, I'm insanely jealous :p

As Mr E says... Its pretty slick. My only grip is the new sounds. If you thought they pinched the Avatars from the Wii, they diffo pinched the sounds...

Will take a while to get used to where everything is but its very purdy. Video marketplace is slick, Games are slick.. Installed GOW to HD.. Much quiter while playing and load times are fractionally faster(2-3 secs)

Update took about 2-3 mins all in for me(20mb connection)... Video at the begining is a bit dodge. Avatars are pretty cool, mind you.. you should be able to slap them. Everytime I tried to change my eyes he kept looking away.. Hopefully they'll bring way more styles to it.. Gotta get me a little UnkleRosco COG!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

unklerosco wrote: »
    Installed GOW to HD.. Much quiter while playing and load times are fractionally faster(2-3 secs)

This is a bit worrying and disappointing for me.

Worrying because there is a trend towards stupid load times lately (Oblivion, Fable 2 are 2 just off the top of my head) and I fear developers will remain lazy and just start saying, install it and it'll be grand. I think Soul Reaver 2, a PS2 game had no loading, now given it was extremely linear in level design but how about they try and come to some compromise. I think the install is a bad thing when it comes to the technical quality of games. It has become common that a buggy game is released and patches are offered at a later date and now they can get away with more lazy practices by recommending installs. Don't think that's a good thing for game quality.

The last 2 games I have invested a bit of time into are Mass Effect and Fable 2, both of them are as buggy as an ant farm to begin with and then there's the frame rate drops, textures loading in while watching a character conversation, horrible loading times, for a universe where faster than light travel was possible you'd think they would have mastered elevators ffs.

I personally think the camera angle in GTA IV was purposefully **** and slow to follow the car around corners etc to hide the crap detail at the given draw distances. (that's me being very cynical though)

Where the fcuk has quality gone these days?

Its disappointing as it only marginally improved load times.

Here's mine

I don't think load times has much to do with the games quality... If its a crap game having faster load times just means you'll get pi$$ed off quicker ;-)

I suppose these games weren't designed to be played off a HD so maybe newer games will be optimized for it. I will say one thing, GOW had a habbit of when the level load the textures didn't load instantly. That DEFFO doesn't happen with the HD, I noticed that big time. It just jumps onto the screen...

I know what u mean about patching tho... I bought pure on release day n there was an update for it when I put the disc in first time, still has a few(very minor) bugs

Where'd u get that pic shane?? I was looking at xbox.com but can't see mine

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote: »
    Where'd u get that pic shane?? I was looking at xbox.com but can't see mine
    Just substitute your gamertag in the URL.

http://avatar.xboxlive.com/avatar/heyheyaces/avatar-body.png

Advertisement