Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Experience Beta Program

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

CKWPORT wrote: »
    uh crap, i was hoping that could be skipped:mad:, i have no interest in the Avatars at all...just looking forward to the HDD install, thats all.

The HDD installs are great, i only have Fallout 3 & Midnight Club on my drive (20 gig) until i get a bigger one. virtually no noise when loading games! i was getting problems with texture pop in on Midnight Club, the install solved that problem.... now i just need a bigger drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

sounds good, will use the HDD install for Mass Effect, the texture pop up in that was annoying...

the texture pop up in that was annoying...

So was the crappily implemented combat! :eek:

So was the crappily implemented combat! :eek:

Oh Low Blow...it's a fantastic game!!

Anyways, im looking forward to the HDD install, but thats it!! Got Fallout 3 on "your recommendation" (so it better be good!!) so will wait for the update before playing it.

Got Fallout 3 on "your recommendation" (so it better be good!!)

I wouldn't worry, It's way better than Mass Effect! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Mass Effect will also be the first game I;m installing on 19th of November time for another playthrough. GTA IV next really need to get some time to play some games.

I wouldn't worry, It's way better than Mass Effect! ;)

We'll see....thats a big claim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Right so am I corect in thinking that with the install thing you could just borrow a friends game and copy it to the hd drive and not need the disk,or is it similar to pc games where even though the game is installed you stillneed to have the didk in while you're playingit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You still need the CD, MS aren't stupid, that way everyone just rents a game and then owns it, that would be crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

kinda thought as much, but there was just a slight glimmer of hope.....so slight and shiny...now all dark and smelly of poo poo.Evil microsoft making it hard for people like me to steal games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

If anyone wants the NXE then its easy to find on the internet from the usual sources. Only thing is you can't go online until the 19th in case of a ban. Its only a 7.5mb update believe it or not. I've installed it via a usb key on one of my 360's. Navigates a lot quicker. Shame the best feature watch movies with your friends list has been removed.

Thats only a stripped down bare bones leak and is missing a few things like the avatars which is not a much :D, the proper beta is about 128mb and the full deal will be a bit more I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Does the HD install get rid of/reduce loading times in Fallou3 ie when you walk into a town or instance?

silvine wrote: »
    Does the HD install get rid of/reduce loading times in Fallou3 ie when you walk into a town or instance?

Yeah, loading times are reduced across the board, the difference isn't massive. The main difference is in the almost complete silence coming from the 360 when you're loading the game/playing it! Soothing...

And will the HD install lessen the chance of an RROD happening do you think?

Is that something MS claimed?

I read somewhere on boards, could be the xbox Fallout thread or the one in games, that there is a chance of the RROD when playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

And will the HD install lessen the chance of an RROD happening do you think?

Is that something MS claimed?

I read somewhere on boards, could be the xbox Fallout thread or the one in games, that there is a chance of the RROD when playing it.

Technically it should.

Since the DVD Drive will be inactive, it'll produce less heat meaning it'll be harder to get a general hardware failure :)

on the flip side now your HDD will be working harder so that will be producing heat instead. Not that it will produce more heat. Anyway heating up is only part of the problem with RROD. Main problem is the x clamp that holds the heat sinks on twisting the m/board. A combo of that and heat loosens the solder giving a bad contact causing hardware failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

looking forward to the update, the interface was getting a bit clunky, but ohh god how i Hate the look of the new avatars, they look like those "hip, cool" bratz dolls full of teen angst and all that crap. uuuggh :confused:

hal9000 wrote: »
    looking forward to the update, the interface was getting a bit clunky, but ohh god how i Hate the look of the new avatars, they look like those "hip, cool" bratz dolls full of teen angst and all that crap. uuuggh :confused:

Same here and the fact you cannot avoid them at all just makes it worse, I was hoping they would make it optional, and now show up on your gamer card as well, :mad:

The only good thing in this update is the HDD installs, possibly the new menue layout but I don't like the way your avatar is always there staring at you like some gombean.

I hate what they have done to the custom theams and wallpapers, most of it is gone and replaced with a grey floor for dipda to walk around on and interact with other useless avaters.

And to make thing worse they are putting them in some games like the Wii, with Uno geting an update to support it for one.

I wish I could have got the beta to express my views to MS, but it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. At the end of this month we'll all own Wii60s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ROC1977 wrote: »
    If anyone wants the NXE then its easy to find on the internet from the usual sources. Only thing is you can't go online until the 19th in case of a ban. Its only a 7.5mb update believe it or not. I've installed it via a usb key on one of my 360's. Navigates a lot quicker. Shame the best feature watch movies with your friends list has been removed.
    It's not a case of "you can't go online until the 19th in case of a ban" - I don't think you can log onto Live unless you were chosen in the Beta program. XBox mentioned this in their e-mail to participants in the Beta program that if you did give the update to someone who wasn't chosen for the Beta program, they won't be able to log onto Live until November 19th.

Anyways, my 12 month Live sub ended last Saturday (and currently engrossed in my PS3) so installed the new Dashboard yesterday. It's slick.. but suffers from far too many menus and submenus.

Slicker.. but not necessarily better!

• Advertisement

Same here and the fact you cannot avoid them at all just makes it worse, I was hoping they would make it optional, and now show up on your gamer card as well, :mad:

The only good thing in this update is the HDD installs, possibly the new menue layout but I don't like the way your avatar is always there staring at you like some gombean.

I hate what they have done to the custom theams and wallpapers, most of it is gone and replaced with a grey floor for dipda to walk around on and interact with other useless avaters.

And to make thing worse they are putting them in some games like the Wii, with Uno geting an update to support it for one.

I wish I could have got the beta to express my views to MS, but it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. At the end of this month we'll all own Wii60s.
    Avatars are optional...You have to make them but you don't have to use them. You're given the option to use your gamerpic on your gamercard instead.

Also themes aren't useless. YOu can use all current themes on the new dashboard

basquille wrote: »
    It's not a case of "you can't go online until the 19th in case of a ban" - I don't think you can log onto Live unless you were chosen in the Beta program. XBox mentioned this in their e-mail to participants in the Beta program that if you did give the update to someone who wasn't chosen for the Beta program, they won't be able to log onto Live until November 19th.

Anyways, my 12 month Live sub ended last Saturday (and currently engrossed in my PS3) so installed the new Dashboard yesterday. It's slick.. but suffers from far too many menus and submenus.

Slicker.. but not necessarily better!

My mistake, ya your 360 has to be on the list of beta testers for it to connect to live.
    We'll have to wait any see a few weeks after it goes live before we can really judge how good or bad it may be. No doubt we'll find bugs which small updates along the line will fix.
    Whats the odds the next console from MS will be a windows platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Also themes aren't useless. YOu can use all current themes on the new dashboard

Only prob with them is that u only see half the backround.. Hopefully there'll be fully customised themes in the future..

unklerosco wrote: »
    Only prob with them is that u only see half the backround.. Hopefully there'll be fully customised themes in the future..

There will be. Gears of War 2 is launching with an NXE customised theme. It'll integrate background scenery for each of your friends on your friends list and things like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

ROC1977 wrote:
    Whats the odds the next console from MS will be a windows platform
    Does anyone know what the current 360 runs? I would have suspected some form or variant of Windows Embedded anyway, as the original Xbox did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Just got two updates for the NXE today. One short one followed by a second larger one. Cant see any difference so far.

New clothes... I think they update in the backround tho as I've more now than when i got the update

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

@unklerosco: Do you have pigtails, a tash, an eye patch and some tatoo on your face there?

Not overdoing it with the customisations at all are you? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think I may have slept with unklerosco's avatar at one stage..

:eek:

• Advertisement

hey, no dissing Sir Wellington Piddlepot... He's an eccentric millionare....

Advertisement