Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not showing up?

Options
  • 25-10-2008 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi. Can anyone tell me what will happen if I dont show up for the first leg of a flight but show up for the next part? I want to cancel the first part and have bought a flight to connect to the second part from a different location but the travel agent wont let me cancel the original first part.

I was just going to not show up for the flight I am originally booked on and then make my connection in London on my own. They wont cancel me off the connection will they?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

You will be fine. They wont cancel you. You still have a ticket for the second leg. Just show up as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

No problem with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I was just going to not show up for the flight I am originally booked on and then make my connection in London on my own. They wont cancel me off the connection will they?

In this scenario the rest of your itin will be cancelled. They do this to avoid people being clever and originating trips in a city which would make the entire itin cheaper and then just not showing up for the first flight. Similarly by not showing up for the first flight your itin goes from being a round-trip to a series of one-ways (much more expensive).

I've worked for a number of long haul carriers over the years and all will canx the remaining itin in this situation and refer you back to the travel agent who will then be zero help whatsoever. I'm presuming here that you're flying with one of the mainstream carriers, any of the low-cost won't care and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A good example used to be flying to Tokyo. It was often far cheaper to fly DUB-LHR-NRT-SYD. People would get out at NRT and leg it and then abandon the NRT-SYD leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Bluehair wrote: »
    In this scenario the rest of your itin will be cancelled. They do this to avoid people being clever and originating trips in a city which would make the entire itin cheaper and then just not showing up for the first flight. Similarly by not showing up for the first flight your itin goes from being a round-trip to a series of one-ways (much more expensive).

I've worked for a number of long haul carriers over the years and all will canx the remaining itin in this situation and refer you back to the travel agent who will then be zero help whatsoever. I'm presuming here that you're flying with one of the mainstream carriers, any of the low-cost won't care and you'll be fine.

I have flown with both recenctly and they dont mind as long as you show up they will give you the seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

If it is with BA they will cancel the ticket or make you pay a fare difference. The pricing of tickets vary greatly depending on the starting city as they will be competing with local carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

In September I did this with Ryanair, had a confirmed ticket from Seville to Dublin and Dublin to Seville but flew with Aer Lingus from Malaga to Dublin instead.

Flew back on the original Ryanair booking on the return ticket, didn't make any difference

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

APM wrote: »
    In September I did this with Ryanair,......................Flew back on the original Ryanair booking on the return ticket, didn't make any difference

FR don't count as they don't book itinaries as such. They are solely a point to point airline.

OP: What is your original journey? Did you book 2 seperate journeys or is it two flights on one ticket?
    For example booking DUB-LHR-ATH means you must check in at DUB as its the origin airport for the enire journey. However if you booked 2 seperate flights, DUB-LHR and LHR-ATH,you could turn up in LHR and check in for your flight to Athens without having been on the first leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

jum4 wrote: »
    If it is with BA they will cancel the ticket or make you pay a fare difference. The pricing of tickets vary greatly depending on the starting city as they will be competing with local carriers.

From personal experience I can confirm that Lufthansa will also cancel the entire booking (i.e. return leg included) if you don't show for the first leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Basically the full service airlines will cancel. The point to point ones won't. Is that a too simple way of looking at it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement