Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good 1 liter car models (around 2003)

Options
  • 25-10-2008 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am thinking of getting another car, and I want to save as much as possible on petrol, tax and insurance. So, one litre engines are probably for me. I'm expecting to get an approximately 2003 car (possibly low mileage 2002) for my money.

What models should I be looking out for - meaning. what were the good 1 litre cars in the day? I do know the Opel Corsa, Volkswagen Polo, and TOyota Yaris; were there any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

how much you willing to spend?
    what are youre priorities?space, reliabilty,price, 4dr,mileage,dealer or not, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

MichaelR wrote: »
    Hello,

I am thinking of getting another car, and I want to save as much as possible on petrol, tax and insurance. So, one litre engines are probably for me. I'm expecting to get an approximately 2003 car (possibly low mileage 2002) for my money.

What models should I be looking out for - meaning. what were the good 1 litre cars in the day? I do know the Opel Corsa, Volkswagen Polo, and TOyota Yaris; were there any others?

Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107, Citroen C1:

peugeot-107.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107, Citroen C1:

Only from 2005 onwards afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

with these cars you will get >60 mpg, tax is 160e/year (100e for 2008 cars) and insurance will be based on a 1.0l engine.

Engine should be reliable.

Can't beat that.

http://cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2498320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I would say Yaris.

• Advertisement

what kind of yearly mileage are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

MichaelR wrote: »
    Hello,

I am thinking of getting another car, and I want to save as much as possible on petrol, tax and insurance. So, one litre engines are probably for me.

What are you driving at the moment then? Is holding on to your current car possibly a better option? 'Downgrading' from a larger car and taking the probable hit on depreciation could be more costly in the long run than spending a few extra quid on running costs every year. Plus you won't have the room or versatility of a slightly larger car. A Focus/Corolla etc. is probably as much car as many people need and they are better value than small cars that tend to be popular with younger drivers.

I also think there's a danger of getting swept along with media hysteria about tightening the belt, penny-pinching etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

From the limited info i'd say a yaris is your best bit. my girlfriend has one and never gave a bit of trouble in its 95k miles...and she doesnt care for it too well. they hang onto their value so you'll probably pay for the privilege but you should get a little more come sale time. alternatively, what about the last of the old shape micras? from experience they're nice little cars...so long as you dont have to look at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

pburns wrote: »
    What are you driving at the moment then? Is holding on to your current car possibly a better option? 'Downgrading' from a larger car and taking the probable hit on depreciation could be more costly in the long run

I am actually driving a 1 litre '98 Corsa, with mileage approaching 100,000. It was my first car, and an excellent choice for the purpose. But now it is getting old.

I want to upgrade to a newer car with less mileage, but I don't want to spend much more on insurance/tax/petrol. Ideally, I'd want to trade this one into a garage, top up something like €3k, change insurance over to the new(er) car, and drive away.

An additional quirk is that I am in Galway, and car prices here are a bit higher than Dublin. And if I go and get one in Dublin, I effectively sacrifice any warranty given with it.

To answer other questions, I am doing under 10 k miles a year, and I am too big to comfortably fit into a Nissan Micra or Suzuki Alto (I did try).

Thanks for all the answers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If the Corsa worked for you, a newer one is v.cheap, why not look there?

btw, I'm in Galway too - best value is out of the City.

Try Athenry Motor Centre 091 844286 - he always has a collection in that price range

Or Try Doyle Motors Loughrea (Opel), or JJ Burke (Ballinrobe) for Peugeot etc

Casey's and Monaghan's in Castlebar have a lot of cars. Rural garages tend to be more flexible. I hope you're not expecting much for your current car, though..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Looking for a small car, but upgrading from a Corsa, try a 1.4 206....belter of a car, and not too heavy on juice. The parents had a Xsara with the same engine and it's a decent piece of kit on the cheap end of the scale

Advertisement