Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running ventalation through garage roof

Options
  • 25-10-2008 10:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi, I'm installing a kitchen extractor fan and the only place I can vent it is through the wall into the garage, and then up through the garage roof. the roof is just ply wood with felt on top of it. Is there any way I could easily run the vent up to a piece of say plastic pipe, which goes through the roof? Would I have to get a roofer out to seal the pipe against the old felt? Or is there something I could do myself?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

As a fully paid up coward I would never ever make a hole in a flat felt roof. It's going to end in tears. Buy an extension kit and run it out through the garage wall. If it's a long run consider putting a decent electric fan/extactor kit in the wall outlet to ensure a good airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

^^ +1

You could run it into a piece of sewer pipe to bring it through the garage but like Hagar, I would put it out throught the wall rather than consider the roof if its an option at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

As hagar says ,find another route. You would need to buy a special termination kit for the roof aswell as get a roofer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Make sure there is a fall in the pipe as piping hot air through a cold garage space will create condensation in the pipe.

You dont want water dripping back into your extractor.
    Don't use flexi in the garage in horizontal runs as the condensation pools and makes the hose slump.

I would go through a wall. Not the roof. Unless you have to

Advertisement