Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked to pay a security deposit 8 weeks in advance

Options
  • 25-10-2008 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me out here. I've recently booked a holiday let in the West of Ireland and have already paid a 25% deposit for it. I'll be using the house the week of New years Day and the landlord said over the phone that I would have to pay the full letting costs 8 weeks before I actually arrive. Now, I have no problem doing this, you are asked to do this with most hotels - you pay in full in advance.

My problem is this: The landlord is also asking for the full security deposit (€500) and the ESB(€10 per day = €70) at the same time - 8 weeks in advance. I don't want to do this, I'll gladly hand over the security deposit when I arrive to collect the keys.

I'm worried that if the landlord does not agree to this that I'll end up losing my 25% deposit. Does anyone know if I have any comeback if the landlord still demands the full amount + security + ESB 8 weeks in advance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

TeaServer wrote: »
    Now, I have no problem doing this, you are asked to do this with most hotels - you pay in full in advance.

Not in my experience. In a hotel you pay for the first night up front and you pay the balance when you leave. Assuming it's two or three days you're staying for.

You are in no danger of losing your 25% deposit. When you first found the place and made a arrangement, you and the landlord agreed the price and deposit. Why is this being changed? Is the landlord feeling the pinch and needs cash to meet the latest mortgage payments?

Now this guy is changing the terms so you better be compensated. If he wan' money up front then ensure you get:
    1. A discount as you are paying in advance. Try for 15% and see how it goes
    2. Be sure to get written receipts for everything

If you can't get a discount, just get your money back and find somewhere else. No shortage of places to rent.

Advertisement