Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web design packages

Options
  • 25-10-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, I work as a Mac operator and have all the usual CS packages. Hoping to branch into web design as new jobs Im applying for, mostly seem to want people with web experience. Not sure where to start, is Dreamweaver or Flash the package to go for, and can anyone recommend any websites for information on how to get myself started? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

with dreamweaver you can come up with a pretty good professional site. you can do that with flash too. the difference is that there is a big skill difference in creating a flash site and a dreamweaver site. though with CS experience you will find flash alot easier.

Best thing i would suggest would be get on a course for web design, give you an introduction to these packages so you can find out which is better suited. or see if you can download trial applications for them and play around with them.

fireworks is another nice app from adobe (macromedia) which deals alot more with images than either of the other two. could check that out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Moved from Digital Art & Design

Personally I wouldn't get too hung up on packages... you can design a site in anything. (photoshop, etc.)
    How you transform that design into a working site is up to you, but I'd start by learning html and css and doing it all by hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solarpitch

I deal mainly with Macromedia. I use Fireworks to do web design. Its an excellent, fast and easy to use program for designing web graphics. It works great with Dreamweaver and makes it very easy to make graphic changes.

www.tutorialized.com is a good site for getting started on using graphics programs

I agree with DonkeyStyle, although Dreamweaver has many features to finish and insert code for you, many of it is useless and your better of programming it by hand. Look into making your pages W3C compliant also with valid XHTML and CSS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Depends on what you're trying to achieve with the site.

If you just want it to LOOK cool, then Flash is the way to go.

If you want it to be useful and register in search engines, Dreamweaver is the way to go.

But - armed with enough information about CSS & HTML - you can achieve a lot of what Dreamweaver does by just using a text editor and an FTP program, and if you add in jQuery you can surpass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

The best thing is to learn HTML & CSS and learn it well. Being able to do web stuff isn't about learning packages. The best book you could get is the 'Heads first XHTML & CSS' book which really gives a great foundation in HTML. Learn to code webpages by hand, and only then look at learning something like Dreamweaver, otherwise you'll be pretty much useless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement