Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fahey for Ireland

• 25-10-2008 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

According to the Indo, Keith Fahey is off to east London, courtesy of West Ham people at Richmond Park last night.
    Now he may be playing on the mainland, have Trap and co. got his Ireland shirt ready?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Probably. In fairness to Trap, he said that the Eircom league is on par with the lower half of Serie B. That's probably overrating the LOI so if he doesn't want to pick players from that level it's fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

SectionF wrote: »
    Now he may be playing on the mainland,

Eh, Ireland is our mainland pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ehhhh, tell the past 3 Ireland managers that so:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Er, 'pal', you might want to take some night classes in irony appreciation.
    Although it's not too much of a stretch to say that, in football, for the vast majority, Britain is still our mainland.
    Either way, I'll continue to use the word, if that's ok with you.

Although it's not too much of a stretch to say that, in football, for the vast majority, Britain is still our mainland.

Didn't originally get your irony, but I do get it now!;):D

Actually quite funny and I do agree with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

He might struggle to adapt to the pace of the EPL. He is well good enough talent wise but like people like Luka Modric I could see him struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He might struggle to adapt to the pace of the EPL. He is well good enough talent wise but like people like Luka Modric I could see him struggling.

Well give him some time. Allow him to play with better quality players, he'll become accustomed to it and therefore, hopefully, be good enough for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

So assuming Fahey moves to the Premiership and fails to make the grade again who will be the next overhyped player out of the LOI to be championed for a place on the national team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Fahey isn't a defensive midfielder. Trap wants 2 defensive midfielders, such as Miller/Reid/Whelan/Gibson, hence Andy Reid not getting a game (he'd also be in ahead of Fahey). Don't get me wrong, I think Fahey is excellent, just don't think he'd fit into the current set-up.

Brian Murphy is more deserving of a place in the Ireland squad in my opinion. Owen Heary is unlucky never to have gotten a call-up (during his time at Shels especially). We've had quality right fulls like Carr (before his first major injury) and Finnan. However, I'd have him in ahead of McShane any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

jaysus get that rod out of your ass might help you calm down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Probably. In fairness to Trap, he said that the Eircom league is on par with the lower half of Serie B. That's probably overrating the LOI so if he doesn't want to pick players from that level it's fair enough.

Interesting take on it.

I would reckon a few of the EL clubs would possibly be able to compete in League One or maybe the Championship in England. Guys like Kevin Doyle were certainly great players in the EL, but they have to prove to a manager they can be just as good at a higher standard of play.

overhyped
    Compared to EPL, GAA or what?
    Have you actually seen Fahey perform? Did you see him against Hertha Berlin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

So assuming Fahey moves to the Premiership and fails to make the grade again who will be the next overhyped player out of the LOI to be championed for a place on the national team?

Fahey is good
    We need good players
    Cas we have poor players
    Yes, yes I am right
    Bangers and Mash with Onions and gravey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Now he may be playing on the mainland, have Trap and co. got his Ireland shirt ready?

Like a f00kin broken record. Jesus.

How many times. Ireland managers want players who have experience playing against teams full of international calibre players. There is a difference in skill between a defender holding off Rooney and Ronaldo compared to his old days of holding off the Sligo Rovers strikers. Or a striker firing them in past Cech or Reina compared to the defence and goalie at Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

shane86 wrote: »
    Like a f00kin broken record. Jesus.

How many times. Ireland managers want players who have experience playing against teams full of international calibre players. There is a difference in skill between a defender holding off Rooney and Ronaldo compared to his old days of holding off the Sligo Rovers strikers. Or a striker firing them in past Cech or Reina compared to the defence and goalie at Rovers.

Hes called up players from league 1 and last week started a player who plays for Man Utds reserves. (darren Gibson)

they have'nt been playing against quality players but still get called up.

Aidan McGeady is playing in a weak league as well.

Fahey also played well against Hertha Berlin, while not the best team in Germany, they still had a few internationals in their team.

Hes called up players from league 1 and last week started a player who plays for Man Utds reserves. (darren Gibson)

they have'nt been playing against quality players but still get called up.

Aidan McGeady is playing in a weak league as well.

Fahey also played well against Hertha Berlin, while not the best team in Germany, they still had a few internationals in their team.

How many L1 players have actually got their game under Trap? None afaik. They are only being called up for an emergency.

Gibson was average v Cyprus but for Fergie to keep him in the reserves he must see something in him.

Re Fahey vs Hertha, McGeady has played well against several international filled teams. He was immense vs Barca last year.

How many L1 players have actually got their game under Trap? None afaik. They are only being called up for an emergency.

Gibson was average v Cyprus but for Fergie to keep him in the reserves he must see something in him.

Re Fahey vs Hertha, McGeady has played well against several international filled teams. He was immense vs Barca last year.

The league 1 players still get called up though. that keeper westwood was called up even though he only declared himself for ireland a couple of weeks before kind of backs that up a bit. whats more insulting is that brian murphy of bohemians was probably more deserving of a call up then westwood.

Gibson and fahey are mostly playing a lower calibre of players week in, week out.

Im not saying fahey should be in the starting eleven but he would make a good squad player. at the very least he should be given a run out in a friendly, if trap did that and decided he didnt need fahey then that would be fair enough but he should give fahey an oppurtunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

How many times. Ireland managers want players who have experience playing against teams full of international calibre players.
    Miller and Whelan don't get a game. Gibson plays for a reserve team.
    The Lithuania manager has no problem calling up and starting Kalonas who plays for Bohs. Lithuania are ranked higher than Ireland in the FIFA rankings. Kalonas has 33 caps and 1 goal for his country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Pure Cork wrote: »
    The Lithuania manager has no problem calling up and starting Kalonas who plays for Bohs. Lithuania are ranked higher than Ireland in the FIFA rankings. Kalonas has 33 caps and 1 goal for his country.

You can't really compare Lithuania to Ireland they have 8 teams in their top league. They don't exactly have a abundance of quality now in fairness. Although they have found a way to develop an ok national side from the lack of depth and quality.

You can't really compare Lithuania to Ireland they have 8 teams in their top league. They don't exactly have a abundance of quality now in fairness. Although they have found a way to develop an ok national side from the lack of depth and quality.

I can compare Lithuania to Ireland.
    We will have 10 teams in the LOI Premier Division next year compared to their 8. We both play our seasons over the summer months. Their league is ranked just above the LOI (approx. difference 0.333).
    We don't have an abundance of quality. We're not one of the big footballing nations either.
    We have found a way to develop an ok national side from a lack of depth and quality.
    Lithuania are ranked higher than us (5 points difference) in the FIFA rankings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPZtH650j9E&feature=related
    Romania 0-3 Lithuania 06/09/2008. Kalonas sealed the win with a "brilliant individual effort".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

We will have 10 teams in the LOI Premier Division next year compared to their 8. We both play our seasons over the summer months. Their league is ranked just above the LOI (approx. difference 0.333).
    We don't have an abundance of quality. We're not one of the big footballing nations either.
    We have found a way to develop an ok national side from a lack of depth and quality.

Romania 0-3 Lithuania 06/09/2008. Kalonas sealed the win with a "brilliant individual effort".

Ah the good old granny rule. For years we'd have struggled to field a team only for it. Think Trap needs to take a leaf out of Big Jacks book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Sorry I should have said quantity im pretty sure that if you add up how many professional players Ireland has to pick from compared to Lithunania it be most likely double the amount. Hey I agree maybe in recent times we should have always given a few of the LOI players a go but you have to respect the Irish managers decision whether we like it or not. At the end of the day we can all say we can pick a better squad than whoever is in charge but the difference is they have the job and we don't.

Im 28 now and went to alot of Shelbourne games from the age of 13 to 22 but due to work committments and being out of the country alot im sorry to say I havent been as regular to LOI games. From what I have watched on tV the standard is getting better but the LOI will never be put on the same level by any Irish manager unless that said manager has actually managed here and even then he will be pressured by fans and media to pick so called quality abroad.

slingerz wrote: »
    Ah the good old granny rule. For years we'd have struggled to field a team only for it. Think Trap needs to take a leaf out of Big Jacks book
    He has. Sure didn't he call up a good Catholic boy who wasn't Irish as such. The granny rule is no longer effective when the players aren't as good as actual Irish players.

Sorry I should have said quantity im pretty sure that if you add up how many professional players Ireland has to pick from compared to Lithunania it be most likely double the amount.
    We probably have a greater quantity to choose from, but it's the quality that counts, and what the players do on the pitch. I'd choose a player who plays regularly for his club over someone who warms the bench or plays reserve team football.

A LOI player is good enough to start for a nation ranked above us.

I don't think the granny rule has given many good players in recent years. Aiden Mcgeady is probably be the best but i would prefer players born in ireland or at least players who decided to play for ireland from a young age like McGeady and Hamilton, to players like Westwood and Caleb Folan who decide to declare for Ireland when they realise they will never be called up for England.

A player who has wanted to only ever play for ireland will give far more effort than a player who decides to play for ireland just to improve their career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't think the granny rule has given many good players in recent years. Aiden Mcgeady is probably be the best but i would prefer players born in ireland or at least players who decided to play for ireland from a young age like McGeady and Hamilton, to players like Westwood and Caleb Folan who decide to declare for Ireland when they realise they will never be called up for England.

A player who has wanted to only ever play for ireland will give far more effort than a player who decides to play for ireland just to improve their career.

Who's Hamilton? Just wondering are you mixing up McCarthy who plays for Hamilton Academical? Or have we robbed another young fella from someone?

He has. Sure didn't he call up a good Catholic boy who wasn't Irish as such.

Please tell me that you're not talking about Darren Gibson???

If so this has to go down as one of the worst, most ignorant and unintelligent posts I've read on this site.

Both McGeady and McCarthy are Irish and consider themselves such (and I'd imagine would consider themselves Irish whether or not they were footballers), not wannabe's like many that have played for "Ireland".

Please tell me that you're not talking about Darren Gibson???

If so this has to go down as one of the worst, most ignorant and unintelligent posts I've read on this site.
    I was talking about Keiren Westwood.

Both McGeady and McCarthy are Irish and consider themselves such (and I'd imagine would consider themselves Irish whether or not they were footballers), not wannabe's like many that have played for "Ireland".
    :D:D Just like Celtic! :D
    British. Irish heritage perhaps, but still British.

Just having an LoI player in the squad would be a start.
    The fact that they are going as low as Westwood etc just shows how blind they are to picking players from an Irish club.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Who's Hamilton? Just wondering are you mixing up McCarthy who plays for Hamilton Academical? Or have we robbed another young fella from someone?

Whoops:o i did mean McCarthy.

I was'nt criticsing them for opting for ireland. i have respect for them because they decided they wanted to play for ireland from a young age. i was criticising guys like westwood who opt to play for ireland when they know they wont get called up for england.

Just having an LoI player in the squad would be a start.
    The fact that they are going as low as Westwood etc just shows how blind they are to picking players from an Irish club.

Why pick token players?

Have you seen enough of Westwood to be certain he is worse than several LOI goalies, or are you just assuming it?

If they are ranked higher why are they 4th or 5th seeds? Rankings mean sod all. France, Brazil, Argentina and Italy are on their arse yet I am fairly sure they are in the top 10.

Why pick token players?

Have you seen enough of Westwood to be certain he is worse than several LOI goalies, or are you just assuming it?
    He didn't say pick LOI players just for the sake of it. Pick players who are good enough. Always the same. Have you seen enough of Brian Murphy to say he is worse than Westwood and would be a token callup, or are you just assuming it?

How a player can say "I'm not Irish" and go on to get a cap for the national team is amazing. I haven't seen Westwood, but it's insulting to any Irish football player (and fans) when an English League 1 player, who just wanted to further his career, is brought in. Brian Murphy is certainly as good as if not better than some of the other keepers that have been in the squad.

If they are ranked higher why are they 4th or 5th seeds? Rankings mean sod all. France, Brazil, Argentina and Italy are on their arse yet I am fairly sure they are in the top 10.
    For the 2010 WC qualifiers Ireland were in pot C, Lithuania were in pot D. This was based on the FIFA World Rankings :rolleyes: Now, they are ranked higher. Do you know how rankings work?

Match result
    Match status
    Opposition strength
    Regional strength

How a player can say "I'm not Irish" and go on to get a cap for the national team is amazing. I haven't seen Westwood, but it's insulting to any Irish football player (and fans) when an English League 1 player, who just wanted to further his career, is brought in. Brian Murphy is certainly as good as if not better than some of the other keepers that have been in the squad.

That was an absolute disgrace to be honest and a real slap in the face to Murphy. At least with Murphy you'd have a player who was proud to wear the Irish jersey.

There is a better standard of player in the LOI. Joe Gamble is another brilliant player who deserves more oppurtunities in the irish squad.

Althoug staunton called him up for the us tour a couple of years ago he played him out of position on the right wing instead of playing him in the centre where he could have excelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

They're both Scottish who are too good for Scotland and are not good enough for Ireland. Ireland should be a team of Irish players, playing in an Irish league, like most other international. But instead we have English, Scottish and even an American (we all remember good oul Joseph Lapira and his famous uncle in the FAI) playing for OUR international side, OUR IRISH international side.

How I wish I was around for the days our national side was made up with Irish players playing in the LoI.

This country has been since the 70's and always will be connected to the "mainland" for football, be it international or domestic, it really is a shame, it really is a sham, it really is a horrible footballing national we have and probably alwasy will have to live we in the majoirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

They're both Scottish who are too good for Scotland and are not good enough for Ireland. Ireland should be a team of Irish players, playing in an Irish league, like most other international. But instead we have English, Scottish and even an American (we all remember good oul Joseph Lapira and his famous uncle in the FAI) playing for OUR international side, OUR IRISH international side.

How I wish I was around for the days our national side was made up with Irish players playing in the LoI.

This country has been since the 70's and always will be connected to the "mainland" for football, be it international or domestic, it really is a shame, it really is a sham, it really is a horrible footballing national we have and probably alwasy will have to live we in the majoirty.

Man, I'd love it if Irish football was stronger, truly, but we live an hour away from the biggest league in the world. We were doomed the minute football went professional, it just took time to get there. Our only misfortune was to never have one or two massive clubs a la Celtic or Rangers that might keep our stars at home.

Pragmatism requires managers to seek out every advantage they can. We might not always like that, but that;s what they can and will do.

I've always felt sorry for the Scots that they lost a talent like McGeady and now young McCarthy. I'm delighted they chose us, but that's because I think they'll be good players, not because I know they love Ireland or whatever.

Whats your view on Guiseppi Rossi playing for Italy? Should he have played for the USA?

What about Christian Vieri? Simone Perotta? Should they have played for Australia and England respectively?

What about Argentina? None of their players at the 2006 world cup who started, or figured at all prominetly were players playing in Argentina(Palacio and Pato I think the only ones)

Brazil? Its a fact players don't get called up to the National side playing in Brazil and if it does it happens very rarely, sort of like Wes Hoolihan, Jason Byrne, Joe Gamble and Glenn Crowe rarely.

Two succesful teams in Euro 2008 relied on foreign born players. Croatia-Corluka, Simunic,Danijel Pranjić, Ivica Olic, Petric, Niko and Robert Kovac......

Turkey with Aurelio(which is a farce) Kazim Richards, Altintop and probably a few more.

I also don't get how you come to the conclusion that McGeady and a 17 year old player are not good enough for Ireland. Are you telling me there is better wingers than McGeady in LOI? Not one even comes close.

I also don't get how its a shame either that two people who identify with their Irish heritage have opted to play for Ireland.

They're both Scottish who are too good for Scotland and are not good enough for Ireland. Ireland should be a team of Irish players, playing in an Irish league, like most other international.

As esteban said, do you know how many European and Asian teams use far dodgier selection tactics?

Portugal, Spain, Poland, Turkey, Bulgaria, Belgium and Croatia all use or have used South Americans who played in their domestic leagues (remember that Olivera lad who knocked us out of WC 98 qualification at the last?) Poland also used a Nigerian league player, and Holland planned to use an African league player (in addition to how they poach players from their overseas islands. France have done this too. Malouda, Karembeu, possible Thuram). There is alot of talk in England about Arteta and Alumnia joining. Novo getting a possible Scotland call up. Quatar and several other mid east states use average Brazillians on their side.This is complete and utter bullsh1t, and something Sepp Blatter should place at far higher importance than his silly rules to freeze foreign playersout of the likes of the EPL.

Yeah. We had great teams back then :pac:

Fact is, nearly every team in Western Europe has members who had zero connection to the country until they arrived to play in the domestic league. Internationals are infinitely more exciting than club football, mainly because there is more pride and importance at stake. This cheapens the whole thing. Our selection policies are admirable in comparison.

As esteban said, do you know how many European and Asian teams use far dodgier selection tactics?

Portugal, Spain, Poland, Turkey, Bulgaria, Belgium and Croatia all use or have used South Americans who played in their domestic leagues (remember that Olivera lad who knocked us out of WC 98 qualification at the last?) Poland also used a Nigerian league player, and Holland planned to use an African league player (in addition to how they poach players from their overseas islands. France have done this too. Malouda, Karembeu, possible Thuram).
    Malouda, Karembeu, and Thuram were all born in French overseas departments/territories. What's the problem? We're allowed to pick players born on the Aran Islands.

Internationals are infinitely more exciting than club football, mainly because there is more pride and importance at stake. This cheapens the whole thing. Our selection policies are admirable in comparison.
    International football isn't as exciting as club football. Pride and importance? Tell that to a lot a players who couldn't care less about international football, and those who just participate to further their club career. Our selection policies aren't more admirable in comparison, and also cheapen the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Malouda, Karembeu, and Thuram were all born in French overseas departments/territories. What's the problem? We're allowed to pick players born on the Aran Islands.

What's the problem? There is a big difference between the Aran Islands and French colonies thousands of miles away.
    International football isn't as exciting as club football. Pride and importance? Tell that to a lot a players who couldn't care less about international football, and those who just participate to further their club career.

The personal abuse rule prevents me from giving opinion on that type of player.

What's the problem? There is a big difference between the Aran Islands and French colonies thousands of miles away.

Distance?

International football isn't as exciting as club football. Pride and importance? Tell that to a lot a players who couldn't care less about international football, and those who just participate to further their club career. Our selection policies aren't more admirable in comparison, and also cheapen the whole thing.

Ask any player what their biggest honour in their career would be and I'd say 95/100 would say (if they are lucky) to have played in the world cup for their country. I'd say if you did a survey of International football the proudest they would feel is representing their country in sport.

For every Steven Ireland there is a Damien Duff, and for every Paul Scholes there is a David Beckham.

Of course International Football is more exciting, games at Euro 2008 illustrate this point, heck even the qualifiers because its so important that the team wins are more exciting than Champions League.

Distance?

They are colonies. Full of colonised people. Would you think it would be a good thing if there were no home nation teams and we were still part of Britain? Irish players playing on a UK team singing God Save the Queen staring at a British flag?

And before some smartarse says it, Given and S Ireland (if he wasnt in exile) would easily make the team. Finnan too if there was an injury crisis.

Also its ok France can pick players born thousands of miles away in places like Guadeloupe due to the fact 300 years ago they probably murdered, raped and pillaged their way through the land. Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I think its commonly enough accepted that there is a difference between genuine diaspora, like Kevin Kilbane, Alan Kelly, Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy, who have declared for and identified with Ireland from a young age and mercenaries who see it as a career move like Westwood, Townsend and Folan.

Also its ok France can pick players born thousands of miles away in places like Guadeloupe due to the fact 300 years ago they probably murdered, raped and pillaged their way through the land.

On the basis that the population of DOM TOM are French citizens, yes.

So Alan Hutton really should have opted for England and this would have been alright?

So Alan Hutton really should have opted for England and this would have been alright?

If he is eligible and defines himself as English, why not?

yeah if he identifies himself as being english then thats fine but I'm arguing with pure cork who criticises Ireland for picking foreign born players, but he finds it acceptable for a country like France to do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement