Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

question about IEDR

• 25-10-2008 12:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

Does it usually take them long to update records? I ask as anytime I've registered a .ie domain the details are up within the day. But when it comes to them suspending / deleting a domain (or simply updating the bloody domain records) they seem to be incredibly slow.

For example this domain. Now it's clear by the domains expiry date it should be suspended (let alone deleted) but it is still marked as active.

So does anyone know what gives with examples like these? I'm waiting on 2 other domains which are due to expire shortly and would like to be in a position to get them.

Would really appreciate if someone could fill me in a bit on the processes behind this. Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Im sure Blacknight will come along with the correct details but i think there is a period of grace after the domains expiry date so it would probaly stay active on the system till date has passed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

I really should put up a blog post explaining this :)

Ok.

Basically the IEDR's entire system seems to work on the basis that domains never "die".

What that means in reality is that the expiry date is more indicative than realistic and is linked to their billing cycles.

So if you register a domain for 1 year it's expiry date will appear to be the current year until it has gone through the billing cycle.
    Multiyear registrations are paid in advance, so they automatically have a "correct" date.

When a domain comes up for its renewal the reseller should bill you in advance. If you don't pay the reseller will mark the domain for deletion, but it can take more than 6 weeks for the domain to be fully deleted.

The IEDR do deletion / suspensions every 2nd Friday, so if I were to mark a domain for deletion 1 minute after the last "run" it would still be "live" for a further 6 weeks.

So in simple terms, unless you see the domain's status as "suspended" in the whois output there is a very strong chance that the current registrant may renew it, even though its "expiry" is a date in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

cheers for that blacknight it's some very useful info to know. so would it be right in saying that this domain should show up for deletion on the IEDR site on the 14th of this month?

Am I understanding you correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

miju wrote: »
    cheers for that blacknight it's some very useful info to know. so would it be right in saying that this domain should show up for deletion on the IEDR site on the 14th of this month?

It is impossible to say if it will be marked for deletion. The domain may already have been renewed. The whois info seems to take quite a while to update even when the domain has been renewed.

If the domain's status is marked as "suspended" in the WHOIS output then it is more likely to be deleted.

However, there is absolutely no way to know for sure if the registrant is going to renew the domain or not, so a domain could easily get renewed at the last minute

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

just back to this whole thing again (sorry just trying to understand the IEDR process)

The exaple site above is still not updated even though it's been past the 2nd friday of the month.

Would anyone know any particular reason for this

just back to this whole thing again (sorry just trying to understand the IEDR process)

The exaple site above is still not updated even though it's been past the 2nd friday of the month.

Would anyone know any particular reason for this
    The billing contact may not be as proactive in marking the domains for suspension I guess :)

Then again they may have charity status, which will render the dates totally meaningless ....

Advertisement