Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout near B&Q halfords Tipp RD

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

baza1976 wrote: »
    I have asked my Uncle and brother inlaw who are both Garda. I have also asked my neighbour who is a solicitor and they all agree with me.

Nothing back yet from the RSA, but in the meantime those references are good enough for me.

Guess it wouldn't do any harm for the Traffic Corps to pop out there and issue warnings (maybe not tickets for the first offence) and get people to start doing it the right way...as was pointed out earlier (even if it was in a backwards way) having people do it two different ways is dangerous.

Waste of resources ? Don't think so - it might prevent an accident and a 3 hour tailback due to a blocked roundabout some evening.

Well actually, don't bother, because it's clear as mud.....
    Liam

Please see the attached note relating to roundabouts and there [sic]use. It should be of some use in resolving your query. The information relating to roundabouts contained in the current edition of the Rules of the Road book can not possibly cover every shape or design of roundabout and is intended to provide a clear general guide to roundabouts and their use.

Regards
    XXX XXXXXXXX
    XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX
    Road Safety Authority

And the relevant part of the attached note ?
    5. If going ahead, the driver ........ should normally stay in the left hand lane when on the approach.......

Huh ? :eek: WTF is "ahead" ? :confused: If there are 5 exits (left & right + TWO at the "top" - let's say 11 o'c & 1 o'c) it could be argued that BOTH of these qualify as "ahead", contradicting EVERYTHING that's been said here.

And that's from the RSA!!!! :eek:

But there is ONE saving grace in the document - the ONLY relevant and useful point in the "note" is this:
    Enquiries relating to particular roundabouts may be directed to the Gardai, or to the local authorities.*

Since the OP has asked the Gardai and received an answer, that should mean that we now know the rule, at least in relation to this roundabout. Obviously for any other roundabouts around the country that you're not familiar with, you're going to have to pick up your mobile phone as you approach it, ring directory enquiries for the local Garda station's number, then ring that Garda station and ask for an answer for that specific roundabout, hoping that you get it in time to change lanes...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

baza1976 wrote: »
    Jumpy,

The fact that a lot of peole are doing the wrong thing does not make it right. I read a few posts by you here on this thread and it seems to be "the jumpy way and no other way"

If there was an accident on this roundabout between me and you because you were in the wrong lane. you would be in the wrong. I wouldn't be relying on sympathy from cops or judges as you also mentioned. what i would be relying on would be the law. I have asked my Uncle and brother inlaw who are both Garda. I have also asked my neighbour who is a solicitor and they all agree with me. who have you refered to? besides the "book of Jumpy".

Jumpy, I wasn't asking people hear what the rule was in my original thread. What I was doing was stating my annoyance about people breaking the rules on this roundabout. I asked people what they thought of it.

But they arent breaking the rules, you havent provided any proof to me at all that this is the way it is done.
    Apologies if I dont take people you have spoken to as authority. Provide indisputable proof in written legible and legal form and I will accept it.
    You can have your opinion, thats what this board is for, but you cant state that I would have been in the wrong in the situation you used as an example as there is nothing covering this situation in the RoR. It would be a slogging match between our insurance companies and neither you nor I would have any input.

There are only two options that could be correct here, so your reference of the "jumpy way or no other way" is incorrect and a little offensive.

In fact in this discussion there are two ways

a) right lane after 180 degrees.
    b) right lane after the second exit.

I happen to subscribe to the first opinion, and in typical irish style there is no information readily available to prove otherwise.

In situations where there is no readily available information or specific law I will use both safety and majority as my primary concern. Option b on the specific roundabout debated on this thread has a chance of a serious head on collision if things go pear shaped, plus this is not the option followed by the vast majority of the users of this roundabout.

I stated that I would have beeped you, however I have never done that on this roundabout - The reason why is quite simple, because no one has ever used the right lane to go forward during any of the times I have used it. (generally 3-4 times a week depending on whether I see too much traffic on the Tipp road).
    Thanks to the new traffic light system, there is often traffic queued across it in the afternoon from the city road (surprisingly enough in the left hand lane)

Where I come from it is law to have all the lanes marked with the correct lane information on multi-lane roundabouts. Something that is definitely not in place here.

The only person who has made an attempt to provide proof here is Liam Byrne (appreciated even though you bat for the b side :) ), and it will be very interesting to hear what the reply will be from the RTA.

You appear to be taking offense, which is not where this is directed, as confrontational as it may seem, it is simply text, emotion cannot be passed across it, so if I insulted you I apologise. Lack of roundabout information and education here has always been a pet hate of mine, and its a pity Gaybo didnt think to include that in his driver awareness scheme.

EDIT - AN ANSWER HAS ARRIVED! - *scrolls back up to read Liams post*

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Since the OP has asked the Gardai and received an answer, that should mean that we now know the rule, at least in relation to this roundabout. Obviously for any other roundabouts around the country that you're not familiar with, you're going to have to pick up your mobile phone as you approach it, ring directory enquiries for the local Garda station's number, then ring that Garda station and ask for an answer for that specific roundabout, hoping that you get it in time to change lanes...... :rolleyes:

Heh, you dont get out of it that easily. Ahead of me is 180 degrees forward in my mind.
    Plus the OP stating that he asked a member of the Gardai does not constitute proof.
    Reply back and ask for the specific definition of "ahead".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So after a 5 page thread including google maps and a cryptic response from the Road Authorities it all boils down to how the driver interpretes the ROTR.

Pretty much sums up Irish driving really. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Bloody hell now I'm confused!....anyway I had my own near miss today at the roundabout after the South Court hotel in Raheen as your heading towards Patrickswell......why oh why do people go into the inner lane for going straight on towards Patrickswell?! Ok maybe I'm wrong here but I've always believed that if youre going left (towards Dell link road) or straight on towards Patrickswell, you use the left lane, and since there is no right because its a deadend (in other words a 3 exit roundabout) the only time you would use the right lane is for doing a u-turn and heading back towards Raheen? Very nearly had someone smack into the side of me today....either a misunderstanding of the rules, or he was trying to overtake me ON the roundabout. :rolleyes:

Jumpy wrote: »
    Heh, you dont get out of it that easily. Ahead of me is 180 degrees forward in my mind.

But the Google Map clearly shows the Tipperary Road at about 190 degrees from the Ballysimon Rd, so therefore : right lane.

The "give or take" was implied :)

Jumpy wrote: »
    The "give or take" was implied :)

Now it's YOUR turn to not get out of it that easily!!!!! You initially said...
    The continuation of the Ballysimon road is dead straight.

...and you used THAT as your argument for "12 o'clock". Then, you said....
    coming from the the limerick side it seems past the 180 degree mark. But it actually isnt.

An incorrect observation, but it suited you at the time to say that it wasn't past the 180 degree mark, as that partially justified your use of the left lane based on your "12 o'clock rule".

And finally....
    Ha! You cant stop us... we will just keep coming until we wear you down Liam. A couple of weeks from now you will be rocking back and forth in a straight jacket mumbling "right past 180...right past 180..."

Your words, not mine : "right past 180"; not "right past 180, give or take". 12 o'clock isn't 12.05 or 1 o'clock, and 181 degrees is past 180.

You're beginning to sound like a Fianna Fail politician explaining the details of the budget, Jumpy.....changing every time to suit your own stance!!!!! ;):D

The RSA were SFA help on the rules, but did say to "ask a local Garda". The OP said they did that, and got an answer. If the OP wants to PM me the Garda's details so that I can ask as well, then I'll gladly do so.

Those funds were just resting in my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

hang a right into eastway business park opposite the topaz, and come out by the ford garage, and avoid the whole sorry mess!!!! :pac:

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    With 2 lanes going out the Dock Road, there's an argument that that could be allowed, Blunder; my own view is that I "might" occasionally do that, but not to actually go out the Dock Road - only to turn right and then immediately go up behind Jury's Inn, up Mount Kenneth.

If you are going out the Dock Road and stay in your lane, you should be OK, but yeah - it's too abitrary and you need to keep an eye out of the back of your head at the best of times.

Update to this one; it's AGES since I did the above, and I've only done it once or twice ever, BUT I noticed on Sunday when coming in over the bridge that the lanes are now marked, so the above is now a complete no-no.

And while I know those markings weren't originally there, they don't look very new :o which proves the point made earlier that there is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in having the markings painted on the road when it's a road that normally has bumper-to-bumper traffic!!!!! Sunday was the first time I've seen it, and it might be changed AGES...

Plus, there's two lanes going all the way up the hill to Henry St, but despite that the right-hand lane coming over the bridge is ONLY marked for turning right.....

I reckon they make these up as they go along.....

Advertisement