Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pickles, preserves and chutneys

• 25-10-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

This morning I made a batch of pickled red cabbage and a batch of pickled plums. The cabbage is pickled in red wine vinegar with a little sugar, cinnamon stick, couple of star anise, bay leaves and a dried red chilli. It takes about 4 weeks for the cabbage to soften and the flavour to mellow. Great as a side dish with lamb stews, lancashire hotpot or with cold meats and winter salads. The red plums are halved and de-stoned, then covered with a sweetened cider vinegar, along with much the same spices as above. Three to four weeks and these are ready. They are fantastic with duck dishes - sliced and tossed into stir fried noodles with shredded duck - as a garnish over a rich duck curry or in wraps with duck, spring onion and cucumber.

A couple of weeks back we made 14 lbs of green tomato chutney and about 20 lbs of tomato stock (stewed and reduced tomatoes with garlic & basil) with the last of the fruit from the garden. Anyone else making any interesting autumn preserves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Nice work, its been years sine i made my own chutney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, did some greet tomato chutney
    Recipe here if anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Does anyone have a source for recipes for preserving whole fruits - I have a batch of clementines and would like to try preserving them in syrup?

Advertisement