Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter rail for South East

• 25-10-2008 1:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Is there a need for commuter rail in the South East, greater frequencies etc.

Limerick Junction to Waterford:

Existing stations -
    Tipperary
    Cahir
    Clonmel
    Carrick-on-Suir

Closed -
    Bansha
    Kilshealan
    Fiddown/Piltown
    Grange/Portlaw

Waterford to New Ross closed
    - Slieverue

Waterford to Dungarvan closed
    Leamybrien
    Kilmacthomas
    Carrols Cross
    Kilmeadan

Waterford to Rosslare:

Exisiting stations -
    Campile
    Ballycullane
    Wellingtonbridge
    Bridgetown
    Rosslare Strand
    Rosslare Europort

Closed stations -
    Duncormick
    Killinick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A line between Dungarvan and Waterford I would imagine would do very well but seems the powers that be don't agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Waterford to New Ross would be very popular as well but zero chance I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The Waterford-New Ross line isn't officially closed. The track is all still there, albeit overgrown in places.

Its a lovely line actually, some great views of the countryside and the river.

New Ross station has gone of course, the line stops at the road near New Ross bridge. It was torn up beyond that when those lovely apartments were built but never relayed, and the track across the road was simply tarmacked over.

That line used to continue on beyond NR to Palace East where it split. One way went up through Borris to Bagenalstown, the other went across north Wexford to the main Wexford-Dublin line at Macmine. Closed in the 30s I think.

I tend to agree that a commuter service between NR and Waterford (possibly continuing to Clonmel) might work, given the amount of road traffic there is during rush-hours.

Slim chance though, I'd say.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Partizan wrote: »
    - Slieverue
    There's no Station in Slieverue never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

trishw78 wrote: »
    Partizan wrote: »
    - Slieverue

There's no Station in Slieverue never was.

:rolleyes: Theres no station in New Ross either. But im sure they could build another if they were to reopen the line and also add a new station in Slieverue.

duh!

:Dlol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

The line is too far away from the villiage to build a station. Plus there is a bus service to the villiage on a regular basis now. I think the bus service will win.

Yes But there WAS a station in New Ross. Some how I don't see it ever happening that 'commuter' lines will be re-opened. It'll cost too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Slieverue was served by - I think - Stokestown, the station is still there. And the New Ross station was where the boat club is now. There was - actually IS - also a station on that line called Aylwardstown.

I think a station could be built on the Waterford side of the river, near where the line ends, perhaps close to the entrance to the shipping yard there. Its only a couple of minutes walk to the town from there.

But I agree, no chance of it happening; But remember that line is not officially closed, it would not be as expensive to recommence workings on it as it would be to build a new line.

A.

Advertisement