Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

500GB Screenplay to your TV

• 25-10-2008 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

in PC world these are usually €200+ .. on sale for €169 till Wed

although you can buy on line for cheaper ..

They play movies, music and photos straight to ur TV via scart/composite and HD component

500GB Iomega HD Screenplay with remote

screenplay_large.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Here's a You Tube review for anyone interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsLvfvep3DQ

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Barry.Commins

I got one of these in Peats on Parnell street in Dublin a couple of weeks ago.
    They have them reduced to €149.

Really useful. Doesn't come with a hdmi cable, but I guess that's to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I got one of these in Peats on Parnell street in Dublin a couple of weeks ago.
    They have them reduced to €149.

Really useful. Doesn't come with a hdmi cable, but I guess that's to be expected.

Does it play divx/xvid files? Any formats that it dosent support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

neacy69 wrote: »
    Does it play divx/xvid files? Any formats that it dosent support?

yes, avi, mp4, asf (divx and xvid) etc dunno about mov or mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have 2 of these and they are great. The interface is basic but fast. I got a good deal on a Dane Elec one too from 7 Day Shop (same price for a 1TB). Heres my review on the Dane Elec. Don't take it if they give it to you for free. Run away screaming. The thing takes forever to start, sometimes needs to be started twice, the interface is lame, I filled it with 1TB of music and movies and it can take 15 minutes from power on to actually getting movie going, rubbish, actually forget about it, I don't even want to talk about how crap it is. I took the 1TB drive out and put it into the Iomega's casing. Much better.

In Summary, the Iomega is great and if you have a lot of DivX its essential.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I think Carphone Warehouse are selling them for €150 - or will be soon enough.

The main fault I can see in it is that it only connects to PC via USB - so you'd need to keep moving it back and forward between TV and PC or else have both sitting right next to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Barry.Commins

zod wrote: »
    yes, avi, mp4, asf (divx and xvid) etc dunno about mov or mpg

I think it will play mpg, but not mov.
    It won't play high definition formats like mkv.

In terms of audio formats it will plays mp3, wma, ogg, wav and probably some others.
    Won't play itunes format aac or m4a files.

The hd upscaling is reasonable quality, goes up to 1080i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I was really excited when I saw these a while ago and i bought the 360Gbyte version of this and had to send it back.

I'm not surprsied they are going cheaper now.

It had a really cheap feel to it.

You have to switch it on and off manually and it makes quite a noise.

Worst of all was that it was hit and miss whether it would play media files I had.

The reason I got it was to play camcorder videos- it didn't like the AVI / MPEG4 codec thingy that my Sony camcorder uses. Tried to flute around with converting etc but was a pain in the hole to get it to work properly.

I'd say do a bit fo research on what poeople think of it. There is a website discussing these.

http://www.iomegasupportforums.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=11&start=100&sid=45cae8d190516f8f03e7f544fb4c4471

Maybe I got a dud and was expecting too much ? - but I think so did the people on the above forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Anyone seen a media player like this that also plays mkv files?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭sk282

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

DingDong wrote: »

an old xbox with xbmc is hard to beat for about €50 but you have to know what ur doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

www.popcornhour.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

an old xbox with xbmc is hard to beat for about €50 but you have to know what ur doing

For not much more than this you could even just get a new 360 and a USB HDD, it can play xvid/divx files and the like now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Linku wrote: »
    For not much more than this you could even just get a new 360 and a USB HDD, it can play xvid/divx files and the like now...

But not mkv, mov, rm, ogg etc.

The Popcorn Hour A-110 looks the business and it doesn't cost that much all you need is to buy a hard drive for it. I have thought about modding an old xbox but it only does SD picture.

Edit seems to be a big price difference between buying in europe and the US, $215 or around 315 euro

I'm seeing 264 dollars including shipping to Ireland

I have it since April - and I have to say I love it - and it even has a BitTorrent client?!
    The Popcorn Hour A-110 looks the business and it doesn't cost that much all you need is to buy a hard drive for it. I have thought about modding an old xbox but it only does SD picture.

Edit seems to be a big price difference between buying in europe and the US, $215 or around 315 euro

keith_d99 wrote: »
    I'm seeing 264 dollars including shipping to Ireland

I have it since April - and I have to say I love it - and it even has a BitTorrent client?!

I looked at getting it from a European supplier. How much did you get it for keith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

Big pockets is currently offering a 160 gig media drive for £45. Postage to Ireland is £12.76. (Which is pretty vexing considering its the same price to ship to spain and postage to the North is £4.25). 71 euros overall.

I bought the A-100 for less than 200 euros as far as I remember - that was including a 19 euro customs charge too.

I looked at getting it from a European supplier. How much did you get it for keith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Have a look here: http://www.popcornhour.es/en/tienda

A100 - €199 + €35 shipping
    A110 - €239 + €35 shipping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

I was thinking of buying this Iomega model but I can't seem to find how much GB it stores, Does anyone know or am I better buying the 500GB model ?

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullop.asp?productcode=ECE1595351#spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

I dont think it has any storage, its only used so you can connect to TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 wcullen

I purchased two of these expecting great things but never got them to work, i work in IT and these have really challanged me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Was in Pc world Carrickmines no Iomegas left.They had some other brand with less memory.

Advertisement