Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Weakening a HDMI Signal?

• 25-10-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in the market for a Home Theatre Projector, the main things I want to throw at it are PS3, Xbox 360, TVix 5100 HD mediaplayer and Sky HD!

Now in order to do this I plan on putting my Xbox 360 through my Pioneer receiver (as the receiver cant handle 1080p) the receiver will be connected to a 3 way HDMI switch. I will also connect the PS3 and Sky HD to the switch. I will run a serparate HDMI cable directly to the projector from the Tvix as the projector will have 2 HDMI inputs.

From the switch I plan on connecting a HDMI splitter which will split the signal to my Pioneer plasma and the projector.

The distance between the projector and the HDMI switch/tvix is 10m, which will see me drilling out the wall and running the cables outside the house and then back in, rather than running 2 cables over the fireplace. So I will be requiring 2 x 10m hdmi cables.

Now for the questions, will the signals suffer in any way going through a right angle adapters, a HDMI switch and a splitter? Or is it, as I believe, either it works or it wont?

Am I ok to buy 10m HDMI cables costing around €50 each? I know at 1m and 2m it doesnt matter about cable quality but at 10m am I better off increasing my budget? I wont be going near any €300 Monster 10m cables!!

Also do I have to have concerns about the cables going outside and then back in again?

Any advice really appreciated!

Branners

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I would recommend at least buying decent screened cables, to be sure to be sure so to speak.

I didn't risk a very cheap cable and bought a _very_ good* 10m cable because the cable would handle a non room temperature run under the subfloor.

I believe that hdmi 1.3 certified cables are supposed to last 15-20meters at least, can't remember the source, but it was one of the cable companies in the uk - might be chord or black rhodium. I would also try to do one run rather than two with a joiner, because any interference that will enter, will do so at these points.

For my purposes, I was happy to spent €150 on 10 meters of cable that I know will survive moisture/dryness/warm/cold etc.

The other way is to buy €50 cables and hope that you don't have to re run the cable every couple of years.

If you are going outside and back in, I would definitely recommend some sort of conduit to keep most of the elements away.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭branners69

nereid wrote: »

For my purposes, I was happy to spent €150 on 10 meters of cable that I know will survive moisture/dryness/warm/cold etc.
    Hey nereid,

can I ask what make you went for and where did you get it?

I was looking at one of these but as you say it may be better to spend more in the first instance!

The options on ebay go from very cheap to cheaper to expensive!

Thanks,

Branners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

branners69 wrote: »
    Hey nereid,

can I ask what make you went for and where did you get it?

I got this one in cloney audio.

I can't see the ebay links thanks to work blocking ebay :rolleyes: but I did see some good deals on ebay. I happened to be getting some stuff in cloney and it made sense to me having seen the cable.

Judging by what I can see from the pictures from the other link you sent, the one I got seems to be a lot thicker. the one thing about the cable that I got is that due to its thickness, it doesn't bend in sharp corners if you get me. So for example the plug in the tv is on the horizontal plane, and it takes maybe 10cm radius bend when it curves down to the hole in the floor.

It is _very_ solid mind, and the image is flawless, but I am pretty sure you can get the same quality cheaper.
    I traded convenience, viewing the physical item and being able to try it out to be sure it worked (returns policy) over saving €50 on the internet.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭branners69

I think I might get expensive ones or else I will be constantly wondering if I could get a better image!!

They do say you should spend 10% on your cables when your buying av equipment!

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement