Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Dusty" mold on some wooden furnishing

Options
  • 25-10-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I'm living in an rented apartment which I wouldn't consider damp at all. There's no visible damp, we keep kitchen and bathroom doors shut during use, they both have extracter fans, etc.

However, a kind of grey dusty mold is appearing lately. It mainly appears on a wooden mantelpiece and dining table - strangely, a nearby coffee table is never affected. Also, on some fabrics - for example, a leather CD holder.

The pictures below show the fold as I originally saw it - the table leg was against the wall so I hadn't noticed.

festivalofworldculturesmz2.th.jpgthpix.gif

festivalofworldculturesdd4.th.jpgthpix.gif

I've cleaned it off, but after a month or two it will come back - a lot less than in the pictures, but still visible.

Anyone know what steps I can take? Is there a way of treating objects that have already been affected to stop it reoccuring - I presume that simply wiping the objects doesn't get rid of all traces of mold.

Also, would a dehumidifier help? We don't have a tumble dryer, so I presume that drying clothes on a clothes rack in the living room doesn't help!

Thanks,

P.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

oceanclub wrote: »
    the table leg was against the wall so I hadn't noticed.

Also, would a dehumidifier help? We don't have a tumble dryer, so I presume that drying clothes on a clothes rack in the living room doesn't help!

It isn't damp it more likely to be condensation, caused by lack of ventilation and high water content of air - ie drying clothers in room!

Yes a dehumidifier will help, as will drying clothes in a launderette. The latter might be more economical.

There are cheap mould removers in local supermarkets. Warm soapy water might do the trick on timber furniture, followed by a good polish.:)

Advertisement