Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcode reader with asp.Net and SQL Server 2005

Options
  • 25-10-2008 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi there,

I want to create a web application with SQL Server and asp.net where I manage my warehouse stock.

I have been looking at some of the barcode readers but I was wondering as there seems to be so many barcode readers if anyone had any experience in doing this and also if you recommend a certain type of reader.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Depends on the type of reader and what you need the reader to do. To read a simple code39 barcode you'll need a code39 font and any standard barcode reader. Keep in mind though, all the reader will do is return the barcode. You'll need that barcode stored in a database and code to retrieve from/update the database based on some query. Is that any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

there are loads of off the shelf products that you could pruchase to do this.

The bigger issue is how are you going to update your stock levels are you make sales, get new deliveries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You'll also need a printer to manage stock coming into the warehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭shortcorner

Thanks for your replies.

Maybe I should have explained in more detail what I need to do. I am aware that there are plenty of off the shelve products but we are already running a SQL database. The warehouse is based in the UK and orders are placed from Ireland. We have tried a windows forms application but I would like this to be a web application so I can access this when I am out on the road.

The reason we need barcodes is because we need to record batch numbers and products for all orders placed. At present we manually type these in when stock is released from the warehouse. However this is quiet time consuming for both the warehouse and for adminstration.

Ideally we would like to scan all items into the warehouse then scan all items leaving the warehouse. Regarding the barcodes I believe the manufacturer use Code 128. I know there are a lot of off the shelve products but they seem to do too much of what we dont want and not enough of we want.

From what I have read my understanding is that barcode readers work like text input when transferred to the computer. I was wondering the best way to send this data to the database for updates etc.

Also from peoples experience I was wondering on the best type of barcode reader as the database server will be a dedicated server hosted by another company so a physical connection between the barcode reader and server is not possible. I would prefer that the database was updated as soon as changes were made and not do batch updates at the end of the day.

Thanks again

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Also from peoples experience I was wondering on the best type of barcode reader as the database server will be a dedicated server hosted by another company so a physical connection between the barcode reader and server is not possible. I would prefer that the database was updated as soon as changes were made and not do batch updates at the end of the day.

No need for physical connection to the server. The web page is displayed on the local machine which has the barcode reader attached. The page has a form that sends input from the user to the server. I would suggest that you may need more than what you are looking for here to make the solution you hope to get viable (an electronic manifest from your supplier for example so that you don't need to input each individual item onto the system when you receive a delivery might be a good adaption). I developed a similar system to the one you are talking about for a freight company a couple of years back. If you want to know more about all the pitfalls I encountered drop me a PM.

Regards,
    RD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

I did a project similar to this because I was working with a system that was poorly designed and difficult for the people using it.

It was a Fixed Assets Management System and consisted of a database, front end interface and a barcode scanner.

It took weeks of research to find out about all the barcode scanners out there and I eventually chose a Symbol Technologies SPT 1550.

You set the scanner up using the built in program (called Tracer+) and set up the fields you require and their format them. Then you set the scanner to sync with a folder on the PC. You can tell it to send the files ad CSV, XLS, TXT or XML.

Your front end then needs to query the text file and then insert the data into the database from where you can query it from the user interface and generate reports.

It works as two separate systems but you can make look like a single application if you design it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

I didnt see your second post shortcorner. It's a very interesting application.

I think I see what you mean. You want each barcode transaction to be recorded into a remote database after each employee scans a stock item.

This would mean your system would behave like a real time stock management application plus anyone on the road could then query the system and be able to retrieve accurate and up-to-date stock information.

Assuming you have several computers that are used for barcode transactions then the problem is how to get that data into the remote database asap.

Maybe you could have a backoffice application that listens for and collects barcode scans on your internal network and passes them onto the remote database. Have you got that aspect sorted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

One system I worked on had a blackberry with a bluetooth scanner. The scanner would populate a form field in a web-based app the blackberry could access, converting the barcode to a number. Then it was just a case of querying the database for that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Designed a very similar system myself recently enough. used standard enough scanners on client desktops or some ppl used mobile computers with builtin scanners mc-70s. designed a web services layer that either worked with a mobile website/app or ie6. barcode scans come through as text data. then did the processing based on this. Very simple to do the barcode reading, difficult part was the concurrency and insuring that the mobile devices were accurrate when moving between signal areas and performing an action. all designed in .net and using sql server. barcodes were code 128. using a barcode control from neodynamics for printing out the barcode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭shortcorner

Thanks a million for all the replies, I didnt expect so much input.
    I have been out of the office so I hadnt a chance to check back.
    I have just printed them off and I will sit down and read them properly and reply back.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement