Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/UPC connection cutting out when using Usenet

Options
  • 25-10-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I recently changed Usenet provider to get better download speeds and all works well on that front, but my connection now cuts out completely every now and then and it seems to be mainly a while after I start a Usenet download.

I'm on NTL/UPC 20MB in Dublin 12, with a Linksys WRT55AG router, using GrabIt as the Usenet client. When the connection drops I plug out the modem and router, plug the modem back in, wait for the connection sequence to end, and then plug the router back in - that gets the connection back every time/

Any ideas what could be causing the cut outs?

Comments

Ive had this issue on and off, i notice on the modem stat page that when this happens the Receive Power drops from the usual -5.0 dBmV to around -0.1 dBmV or -0.0 dBmV.

Couldnt figure out much past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Mmm, interesting...how do I see the modem stats page (or can I not see it if connected to a router)? Wonder what could be causing the power drop, could it be overheating due to using full speed continuously?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As soon as I saw "Linksys WRT55AG" I immeditately thought of the same problem with my own Linksys router. Their firmware is ****e. Download an open source version such as dd-wrt and it'll fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I've been having trouble for weeks such as Games lagging eventhough my ping was fine, download crap & just general unreliability. I spent hours trying to fix it, last thing I tried was to update the Linksys Firmware on the router - Solved everything! (Don't ask why).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks for the suggestion on dd-wrt, though the Supported Devices page shows my router as Not Supported. Is this a guarantee that it won't work or is there still a chance it will work?

It has the latest firmware version (1.79).

I'd be prepared to just buy another router if that was to solve all my problems - know of any good wireless routers (that also have 4 ethernet ports) I should go for, preferrably one that is dd-wrt compatible?

• Advertisement
Advertisement