Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redc poll in the Sunday Business Post - 25/10/2008

Options
  • 25-10-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

The end of Zanu-FF's reign of terror is approaching. New polls released tomorrow are as follows:
    FF 26 (-10)
    FG 33 (+5)
    LAB 15 (+5)
    GP 6
    sf 10
    PD 2
    oth 8
    Which would give FG and Lab a comfortable majority in the event of an election. No need for the pesky tree huggers either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Means exactly nothing unless the Peskey Tree Huggers pull the plug. Don't hold your breath.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

mike65 wrote: »
    Means exactly nothing unless the Peskey Tree Huggers pull the plug. Don't hold your breath.

Mike

Yes Mike but a truly remarkable poll nonetheless. FF weren't that low since the 1920s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If there was a general election tomorrow the green party would collapse, take the hit for a lot of what's gone wrong, and FF would win the elction with about 45%.

That is the depressing fact about Irish politics and the utter stupidity of the electorate time after time. Maybe it's part of our culture? We like to support failures so that we can later moan about them.

Polls mean nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Its reflective of the mood of the country. This highlights the huge losses which are likely to happen to FF in the Local and European Elections. If Fine Gael play their cards right, then Fianna Fial could be out of power next time around.

I look forward to the reasonable and rational discussion on this website, as opposed to the partisan rablle on Politics.ie which is meaningless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well certainly the forthcomming locals/euros are well timed for the opposition. Things will be worse by then if anything, with a possible mini budget in the new year.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Interesting that the Greens have remained static. Keeping their heads down for the most part seems to be paying off. I'm not too surprised that PD support is the same, I reckon at this stage you either support Harney or you don't, and nothing much will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ohh will the Green's cut and run or sit still? They seem to have escaped this round of cuts but it's hard to see them surviving either a mini budget next summer or even next years Dec budget.

I know this week has be a very very bad week for FF so the 26% is showing that anger but I think times will get a lot harder and they go below that, the local elections could be a serious issue with FF loosing many CC's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

FF are ok now, but if any oppisition, anyone at all, appears with a titter of charisma and idealism, they'd be routed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

luckat wrote: »
    FF are ok now, but if any oppisition, anyone at all, appears with a titter of charisma and idealism, they'd be routed.
    FF ok? this is the first of many tough cutbacks and they have lost 10% wait to see the cutbacks next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

What a stroke of luck it was for FG that they didn't end up in government after the last election. No doubt they would have been blamed for all of this doom and gloom. It good to see that those responsible for the economy in such good times, having made such a balls of it, will have to take the blame. With a bit of luck the feckin greens will be annihilated next time out as the PD's were the last time. Gormless (pardon the pun!) sh!tes.

(Rant over - heads off to pub to celebrate FF decline!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gut reaction to the state of the nation and the Budget. I would expect them to drift to the low 20s which will be made worse by that 2% for the PDs. Their support is more likely transfer to FG.
    The PDs can go no further down and seeing as we are probably going to see them wound up in the near future, they are of little relevance to any future elections.

Can't see FF getting back into the thirties any time soon. I am also a bit surprised that the Greens didn't go any further but I suppose that can be explained by the fact that they are not seen as being directly implicated in any of the Budget debacle.

The local election results now look potentially disastrous and the 80 seat loss in the last local elections could pale into insignificance for FF and the Greens may find the extra 10 they picked up hard to hold onto.

luckat wrote: »
    I agree.
    Aherns decision to rope in the Greens may have seemed inexplicable last june 12 months but it's showing it's worth now.
    They *aint* going to pull out of government,they've too much opportunity to impliment some of their programmes.
    They were advised actually by their more hard core Green colleagues in the rest of Europe that it was the way to go.

Enda Kenny is a nice person in real life.He'd be the sort of chap you'd have a few beers with.
    But Holy god he comes across as clueless and smirky wirky on tv.

FG need charisma.
    Otherwise in 3 years time if the economy is on the up again and the cuts are being reversed,you'll be hard set to keep FF out of government in some shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Those f*****s need to be left in for another while. The deserve every last bit of public outrage, it's about time it got into peoples' thick skulls that this shower is the shower that 980,000 people voted for last May. I hope all those morons who voted FF are proud of themselves now.

I always felt the reason FF had such a sh!te election campaign was because they knew this was coming and they wanted to get out and then blame FG when the complete incompetence of FF's economic policies would eventually come home to roost.

Unfortunately there won't be an election until 2012, FF never like elections before their time, and at 26% they certainly aren't going to change that idea now.

As Mary Harney reportedly put it to John Gormless "the worst day in Government is better than the best day in opposition".

What's the betting that by 2012 the economy will start to pick up and all those presently bitching about the Government will vote these incompetent clows back in again:mad:?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

Villain wrote: »
    FF ok? this is the first of many tough cutbacks and they have lost 10% wait to see the cutbacks next year.

well as much as I'd love to see ff kicked to touch for a while (got too complacent/smug/separated from reality) this is just an opinion poll after all - another one could come out in a week and show their support up...

real thing that counts is the actual votes they lose... IMO if they lost 10-15% of dail seats in the next election(hoping this government doesn't last the full term) it would knock a bit of sense into them and make them re-evaluate themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

E92 wrote: »
    Those f*****s need to be left in for another while. The deserve every last bit of public outrage, it's about time it got into peoples' thick skulls that this shower is the shower that 980,000 people voted for last May. I hope all those morons who voted FF are proud of themselves now.

I always felt the reason FF had such a sh!te election campaign was because they knew this was coming and they wanted to get out and then blame FG when the complete incompetence of FF's economic policies would eventually come home to roost.

Unfortunately there won't be an election until 2012, FF never like elections before their time, and at 26% they certainly aren't going to change that idea now.

As Mary Harney reportedly put it to John Gormless "the worst day in Government is better than the best day in opposition".

What's the betting that by 2012 the economy will start to pick up and all those presently bitching about the Government will vote these incompetent clows back in again:mad:?

Couldn't agree more E92. The people who voted for these saps are the same people who will now suffer under their utterly defective stewardship of our economy. The next two or three years will teach them a thing or two about respecting your right to vote and weighing up more carefully who to elect to run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It an opinion poll sample of 1,000 people, I'm not worried by it, and take the party line on this that we have taken regardless of gains or falls in polls...it is a poll and is not in the least bit indicative of how 42 constituencies will vote on any given matter.

Anyone who thinks FF ran a poor election campaign last year is an idiot, there were thousands of people knocking on doors morning, noon and evening for 3 weeks solid asking for FF 1st, 2nd and 3rd preferences.

Only 3 candidates came to our door for the last GE and of them only 1 out of the 3 (14 runners) was a non FF candidate.

Listening to people is what gets votes, not opinion polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ninty9er wrote: »

Agreed but showing that you are able to carry out what people are saying helps a lot as well. The current political climate is more reminiscent of the 80s when governments had to take hard decision after hard decisions. Invariably this led to a lot of government changes, as people balanced up the lesser of two evils.

As someone who claims to question who or what your party is you should be worried. Your party is demonstrating a remarkable inability to come to any conclusion it can stick to. They have also foolishly IMO, "picked on" the one group who are almost guaranteed to vote every time.

It has no policies to speak of and it does not appear to have any idea what it stands for any more. It remains to be seen how they'll get through the next 12 months never mind the rest of the term.

ninty9er wrote: »
    It an opinion poll sample of 1,000 people, I'm not worried by it, and take the party line on this that we have taken regardless of gains or falls in polls...it is a poll and is not in the least bit indicative of how 42 constituencies will vote on any given matter.

Anyone who thinks FF ran a poor election campaign last year is an idiot, there were thousands of people knocking on doors morning, noon and evening for 3 weeks solid asking for FF 1st, 2nd and 3rd preferences.

Only 3 candidates came to our door for the last GE and of them only 1 out of the 3 (14 runners) was a non FF candidate.

Are you politically affiliated to FF???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Darragh29 wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Could you SERIOUSLY see anyone who wasn't, trying to defend the indefensible, Darragh ?

Unfortunately - given past experience - nint9er's post is spot-on; plenty of issues and discontent arose with FF's mismanagement of the economy and their completely out-of-touch-with-reality mentality BEFORE the last election, and enough of the idiotic Irish electorate still managed to vote for them.

So - while they're out of touch with what affects real people's lives and what is regarded as acceptable behaviour and leadership, they're VERY much in tune with what's required in politics......screw the country WELL in advance of the election, then gradually claw back, so that when the elections come around again the only things people remember are the benefits of the most recent changes prior to that election (and ignore the fact that those wouldn't have been required if things had been done right all along).

Case in point : FF's sudden requirement for getting "value for money" from public projects; if they'd had that mentality all along we wouldn't be in this mess.

Complete contempt for the average Irish person until immediately before their support is required; and then the electorate is stupid enough to fall for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The greens are going nowhere. Having sent a thundering email to one of their higher ranking TDs, I got an obnoxious reply that gave me 2 fingers and basically said suck it up, we're staying put.

Never will I vote for FF or the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

is_that_so wrote: »
    Agreed but showing that you are able to carry out what people are saying helps a lot as well. The current political climate is more reminiscent of the 80s when governments had to take hard decision after hard decisions. Invariably this led to a lot of government changes, as people balanced up the lesser of two evils.

As someone who claims to question who or what your party is you should be worried. Your party is demonstrating a remarkable inability to come to any conclusion it can stick to. They have also foolishly IMO, "picked on" the one group who are almost guaranteed to vote every time.

It has no policies to speak of and it does not appear to have any idea what it stands for any more. It remains to be seen how they'll get through the next 12 months never mind the rest of the term.

Are you talking about FG or FF? They are both the same, except FF seem a bit less preachy.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Could you SERIOUSLY see anyone who wasn't, trying to defend the indefensible, Darragh ?

Unfortunately - given past experience - nint9er's post is spot-on; plenty of issues and discontent arose with FF's mismanagement of the economy and their completely out-of-touch-with-reality mentality BEFORE the last election, and enough of the idiotic Irish electorate still managed to vote for them.

So - while they're out of touch with what affects real people's lives and what is regarded as acceptable behaviour and leadership, they're VERY much in tune with what's required in politics......screw the country WELL in advance of the election, then gradually claw back, so that when the elections come around again the only things people remember are the benefits of the most recent changes prior to that election (and ignore the fact that those wouldn't have been required if things had been done right all along).

Case in point : FF's sudden requirement for getting "value for money" from public projects; if they'd had that mentality all along we wouldn't be in this mess.

Complete contempt for the average Irish person until immediately before their support is required; and then the electorate is stupid enough to fall for it.

Liam, if you believed the nonsense being spun by FF at the last election, that's down to you, hang your head in shame....

Trotter wrote: »
    The greens are going nowhere. Having sent a thundering email to one of their higher ranking TDs, I got an obnoxious reply that gave me 2 fingers and basically said suck it up, we're staying put.

Never will I vote for FF or the Greens.

Post it up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

They were bound to take a hit this time round. Wait for next months poll and see how bad it is. No matter who is in they would have taken a hit. Besides how many people really think Enda Kenny would make a better leader.
    Darragh29 wrote:
    Liam, if you believed the nonsense being spun by FF at the last election, that's down to you, hang your head in shame....
    In fairness every party was spinning nonsense. That was not unique to FF

cooperguy wrote: »
    They were bound to take a hit this time round. Wait for next months poll and see how bad it is. No matter who is in they would have taken a hit. Besides how many people really think Enda Kenny would make a better leader.

Better ? Unknown. But he definitely couldn't be worse! Mind you, if FG did get the current poisoned chalice it would suit FF to sit back and let someone else sort out their mess....

cooperguy wrote: »

In fairness every party was spinning nonsense. That was not unique to FF

I didn't fall for the spin, I knew there was no way the stupid spending could continue so I voted accordingly.

Jeez, no!!!! :eek::rolleyes: I'm not THAT thick or naieve!!!!

I gave FF and the PDs a grilling when they came campaigning and told them the truth; that they'd pretty much made my life worse - inflation, taxes, ill-thought-out privatisation, crazy house prices, crap planning and infrastructure, worthless pensions, stealth taxes, wasted money on pet projects, and hadn't stood for anything I believed in - decent baseline standard of living for all, ensuring value for money, competitiveness, affordability, weeding out and criticising corruption, misuse of Shannon, Aer Lingus, money & facilities being spent in Bertie's backyard in Dublin & the Pale while the rest of the country can go beg for scraps.

So don't worry Darragh, I wasn't one of the idiots that voted this shower of wasters in.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Jeez, no!!!! :eek::rolleyes: I'm not THAT thick or naieve!!!!

I gave FF and the PDs a grilling when they came campaigning and told them the truth; that they'd pretty much made my life worse - inflation, taxes, ill-thought-out privatisation, crazy house prices, crap planning and infrastructure, worthless pensions, stealth taxes, wasted money on pet projects, and hadn't stood for anything I believed in - decent baseline standard of living for all, ensuring value for money, competitiveness, affordability, weeding out and criticising corruption, misuse of Shannon, Aer Lingus, money & facilities being spent in Bertie's backyard in Dublin & the Pale while the rest of the country can go beg for scraps.

So don't worry Darragh, I wasn't one of the idiots that voted this shower of wasters in.

Yeah, but did you give them a finger wagging and then vote for them?

• Advertisement

Yeah, but did you give them a finger wagging and then vote for them?

:mad: See the last line of my post!!!!

I mean, we can't even mention the behaviour of the elephant in the room (the one that broke its leg last week). That fiasco alone would have been cause to question FF's bona fides and suitability for office!!

But add in everything I mentioned above, and add the arrogance of "they'll vote for Lisbon because we tell them to, so we don't need to read it or explain it" and numerous other things - Bertie Bowl, eVoting, welcoming back Beverly, Messers "nothing up the trees" Haughey, Burke & Lawlor, etc, etc - and I'm insulted that you would even consider the possibility that I would be so two-faced and have such little principles!!!!!

C'mon Darragh.....I mean PLEEEEAAASSSEEE !!!!! I do have a brain.....

Advertisement